Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tennessee Archaeology Statutes for those who don't know

11-6-105. Excavation of state lands - Permits - Unauthorized Excavation - Penalty.
(a) The state of Tennessee reserves to itself the exclusive right and privilege or field archaeology on sites owned or controlled by the state, its agencies, departments, institutions and commissions in order to protect and preserve archaeological and scientific information, matter and artifacts.

(b) All such information and artifacts recovered from state lands shall be utilized solely for scientific or public educational purposes and shall remain the property of the state unless the state archaeologist and the advisory council shall conclude that some artifacts do not merit retention.

(c) No person or organization, including any other agents or agencies of the state of Tennessee, unless acting as a duly authorized agent of the division of archaeology, shall excavate upon any site situated on lands owned or controlled by the state or any agency thereof.

(d) Permits and contracts for archaeological exploration or excavation may be granted by the state archaeologist through the division of archaeology for such periods of time and under such terms and conditions as the state archaeologist may from time to time determine.

(e) All artifacts, photographs and records obtained by such agents shall remain the property of the state, subject to the decision of the state archaeologist and the advisory council, and shall be maintained in agreed upon public repositories.

(f) Any person, corporation, society, or organization conducting such explorations or excavations upon lands owned or controlled by the state or any agency thereof without having first obtained permit from the state archaeologist commits a Class A misdemeanor, except that any violation occurring on a site listed in the Tennessee register of archaeological sites where the commercial or archaeological value of the artifact involved and the cost of restoration or repair of such archaeological site or artifacts exceeds the sum of five thousand dollars ($5,000) is a Class E felony.

(g) Any and all artifacts and material excavated by such person or organization shall be forfeited to the state and shall be delivered forthwith to the division of archaeology.

[Acts 1970, ch. 468, § 5; 1973, ch. 77, § 2; T.C.A., § 11-1505; Acts 1984, ch. 801, § 1; 1990, ch. 852, §§ 6, 7.]
Tennessee Code Title 11 Chapter :: Tennessee Archaeology Statutes :: Tennessee Archaeology Network

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran into the archies before I let them know I wont help them on any info because of the way they treat us. Im nice and cordial about it. They know they need are help on finding stuff and research let them figure it out.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ran into the archies before I let them know I wont help them on any info because of the way they treat us. Im nice and cordial about it. They know they need are help on finding stuff and research let them figure it out.

Well I have books, maps, time, to me they need to let us hunt, we are the state! But I'am like you they have the key just open the door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread