tennessee historical documents that show the life of early settlers

Awiggittywol

May 8, 2021
smyrna Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Apparently from what i can gather on wikipedia is that robert weakley was a member of the tennessee house of representatives and eventually a congressman. He fought in the revolutionary war and was born in halifax county in the colony of virginia. he left his home in 1782 on horse back and he was headed to learn land surveying with no other thanGeneral Griffith Rutherford. He set up shop i guess tyou could say on whites creek in Davidson county and he somehow had an estate there called lockeland. go figure. he cofounded the town of jefferson in rutherford county and even more interesting is that he was pretty tight with Thomas Bedford also a land surveyor. these are all facts. basically the counties in middle tennessee are named after these guys in one way or another. well...... here comes the oh **** moment. i have13 original land deeds that i came into possession of that are robert weakley and some of the early settlers of middle tennessee/ i have correspondence letters from robert weakley who went by the knickname hickman to his motherwhile land surveying. I have some of his original land surveys where he surveyed the stones river and i even have a freedmans contract from robert weakley former slave that came back to work on his plantation for wages in 1866. I have no clue what to do with this ****. its the davis , coffee, potter or ploffer, weakley angell and a few other family trees and history through letters and post cards all the way up to the great grandson who served in the first world war as a cavalryman that train at battle creek michigan. this is a lot of info and its all postmarked. i collect stamps. this is all the real deal. suggestions? buyers?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would do better as a complete lot vs. trying to take any stamped envelopes out because of philatelic value, which could be added to the historical value anyway. So many historical envelopes have been removed by philatelists over the years that a historical lot with all correspondence intact would draw more favorable attention than one without.

Good luck on however you end up with this one, it sounds like it should be a valuable set of documents.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they may be as important historical documents as they appear, I would encourage you to contact your local historical society or college for authentication and possible purchase.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread