mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tent Camping, Tips, Tricks & Advice.

Depends on the size of the tent - but, your own body heat. I don't trust ANY thing burning in a tent, unless it is one of those huge tents that have a hole for a heating unit.

A good sleeping bag (with a window zipper slightly open, so that it doesn't rain inside from your own breathing), is how we have always camped.

B

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Needle said:
:icon_scratch: A question.

What is the best heat source, to heat the inside of a tent, without creating
carbon monoxide gas? ;D

Bake some rocks in your evening campfire and haul them into the tent when you go to sleep. They will radiate heat for hours. A small wood crate with a plywood or sheet metal bottom will keep them from melting the tent and allow you to haul quite a few.
If I know it,s going to be cold in the morning I sleep with all my clothing for the next day inside my bag. That way I can crawl out nice and toasty and get the fire and coffee going easily.

Steve

whiteknight38

Jun 15, 2007

A few minutes with the stove going won't hurt you, if you're scupulously careful about flame and flamables.
Heat some water, fill a Nalgene bottle, and take it into the bag with you.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They have some neat packs you can buy, too. They are clear, with a metal disk inside. You snap the disk, the bag gets hot - and it lasts for hours - feels good by my feet.

The neat things about them is that (1) they have several different sizes and (2) when you get home (or around your campfire), you boil water, and put the used ones in the boiling water, and they get "restored and reusable".

I love 'em! Great for hunting in the cold, too.

B

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am "Bleed Green" Boy Scout Leader. It has always been a Boy Scout policy of no heaters in tents. With newer technology, the Nylon tent material, became a problem. These tents can burn up before you get out, Seconds not minutes. The older Canvas tents were safer. A couple of ways to heat a tent involve tent design, Think Teepee and lean to (used by mountain men, where a fire was placed in the front of a three sided room type tent).

Ed D.

papajos

Feb 11, 2009

Howdy campers-have camped for yrs. tent,van,boat,tarp you name it. have two lists made up one for food and one for gear. always run a quick check before heading out-works great.

Good source for gear is the "sportsmen's guide" either catalog or online. great prices and great service. also if something breaks or you just git tired of it they will take returns anytime with copy of yer invoice.

They sell a 5 gallon bucket lid there that is watertight for around 6 bucks. I have several, great for keeping food and small items clean and dry and away from critters. You have to supply yer own bucket but most everyone has a couple of those laying around.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those buckets (the 5 gallon size) are great - they also make GREAT seats!

I really love the vacuum-sealer I bought, too. We have everything from medication supplies to snack bars, to jerky to emergency fishing supplies, in those vacuum sealed bags. They take up little space, and everything stays dry (if in moisture) all the way to NON-dirt/sand, when in the desert.

Mice don't seem to like them as much as baggies, either - I think (imo) that they can't smell the goodies inside as well as they can in other containers, so they aren't so likely to want to get in them.

B

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did anyone mention Bears? At night I don't keep food in my tent around Bears. Always hang it from a rope away from the tent high off a high limb high enough and far enough so the bears cant reach. Remember they can climb so keep that in mind. :thumbsup:

Hungry wild animals will do more damage than you think trying to get at food.

Better to be safe when out in the wilds.

Of course campgrounds are pretty safe.

papajos

Feb 11, 2009

Goodyguy said:
Did anyone mention Bears? At night I don't keep food in my tent around Bears. Always hang it from a rope away from the tent high off a high limb. :thumbsup:

Hungry wild animals will do more damage than you think trying to get at food.

Better to be safe when out in the wilds.

Of course campgrounds are pretty safe.

Here in upstate NY the bears got wise to that trick (rope yer food in a tree).....they just grab the rope and chew through it and git a free lunch. Kind of like bear pinyata. They watch you at night while you are hanging out by the fire. 20 min after you turn in they are poking around camp to scavange some grub. Now I always bring my dogs and that seems to keep them at bay. As they are black bears and not overly aggressive it's not a big deal.

Papajos

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Campgrounds are suposed to be safe 2 years ago we were inColordo at one and a idiot that had left just before we got there had wanted to see a bear had hung a hummingbird feeder up to draw one soooo you couldnt even have pop at the tents!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (bear pinata)

I remember the first time camping in Northern Alaska - the tallest "tree" to hang your food in came up to my knees!!! (obviously, that didn't work)!

B

papajos

Feb 11, 2009

mrs.oroblanco said:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (bear pinata)

I remember the first time camping in Northern Alaska - the tallest "tree" to hang your food in came up to my knees!!! (obviously, that didn't work)!

B

have an invite to Ketchican (sp)? this August..never been to the great white north, anything I should know?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep your food way away from your camp, and the clothes you are wearing when you cook - keep them away from the tent site.

Bring something that makes noise (radio, mp3 player). Nothing worse than a bear that doesn't know you are coming. Talk when you walk, make noise. If you see a bear while you are doing that - they are usually going away from you. (not always).

Make sure you are aware of your surroundings at all times.

Bring raingear - it likes to be wet there.

There are forested mountains in that area (depending on exactly where you are planning to be), so, there could be trees! (big, big trees). (unless north of Nome - its not all tundra)

It's a beautiful area - with some neat places to visit. Bring your fishing pole, great fishing. (I love salmon - so do the bears).

There are some fantastic waterfalls there - and some beautiful trails.

You do have to watch to see if 'tourists' have left anything around (though there are people who clean up) - besides what was mentioned above, other campers will do stupid things like leave pork chop bones on the ground, or throw them on the ground away from THEIR tents.

Make sure if you take any major side-trips, if there is a ranger station, sign in, and, when you come back out, sign back out. (you don't want them searching for you for no reason-it ticks them off). ;D

Gosh - have fun - Alaska is beautiful - everywhere. (imo)

B

One more thing - bring camera - post pictures!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And I dont know bout bears in Alaska but in Colordo the parks dept. guide pamplet says NO SEX the bears like that smell too!

papajos

Feb 11, 2009

mrs.oroblanco said:
Keep your food way away from your camp, and the clothes you are wearing when you cook - keep them away from the tent site.

Bring something that makes noise (radio, mp3 player). Nothing worse than a bear that doesn't know you are coming. Talk when you walk, make noise. If you see a bear while you are doing that - they are usually going away from you. (not always).

Make sure you are aware of your surroundings at all times.

Bring raingear - it likes to be wet there.

There are forested mountains in that area (depending on exactly where you are planning to be), so, there could be trees! (big, big trees). (unless north of Nome - its not all tundra)

It's a beautiful area - with some neat places to visit. Bring your fishing pole, great fishing. (I love salmon - so do the bears).

There are some fantastic waterfalls there - and some beautiful trails.

You do have to watch to see if 'tourists' have left anything around (though there are people who clean up) - besides what was mentioned above, other campers will do stupid things like leave pork chop bones on the ground, or throw them on the ground away from THEIR tents.

Make sure if you take any major side-trips, if there is a ranger station, sign in, and, when you come back out, sign back out. (you don't want them searching for you for no reason-it ticks them off). ;D

Gosh - have fun - Alaska is beautiful - everywhere. (imo)

B

One more thing - bring camera - post pictures!

Thanks....sounds great. I might not want to leave! (and I ALWAYS carry a camera or 2)

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another thing to use to make bears scram is banging pots and pans loudly. When I'm out, I usually take a small mirror like from a compact for signalling. Also a sports whistle, the kind with a pea in it. Also I make sure I have a topo map of the area and a compass. I always let someone know where I'll be and when I expect to be back.
I make waterproof matches by dipping wooden kitchen matches in candle wax and storing them in plastic pill bottles. I also take a small magnifying lens and also a 9 volt battery and fine steel wool--all for making fire. A magnesium fire starting rig is helpful also. I also carry a good folding limb saw, they are light weight and can be bought at Home Depot for about $10. I do a lot of back pack hiking and camping in the mountains of North Georgia and come across a lot of bears.
Scott

Attachments

• clutch 007.jpg
    clutch 007.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • clutch 047.jpg
    clutch 047.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,002

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter

Ohhhhhhh-the wilds of the outdoors.Camping has its downfolds though.When you are at Elk camp,have a few to many, you get to be "Me". :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• Camp Host.JPG
    Camp Host.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 956
  • Camp Host.JPG
    Camp Host.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 943

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread