artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My husband and I have the strange idea to take the kids camping in Acadia National Park in Maine in June. We think it would be a blast to do this old school. The kids think we are nuts, but who knows, maybe it will give them an appreciation of what things were like before IPODs.

We were both lucky enough to have parents that were avid outdoorsy people, and we have now in our possession of all of their "vintage" equipment. There are two Coleman propane lanterns that use mantles, circa 1974, a Coleman two burner cookstove, and a Thermos pop-up tent.

Does anyone know where I can find the instructions for setting up this tent? I remember that it was supposed to be super easy - "90 second set up" was the claim, however, it used to take my parents the better part of an afternoon, and a great deal of arguing to finally have the tent up. I am also looking for a regulator hose for the stove and mantles for the lanterns.

Everything old is new again! Anyone else into "vintage camping: and know where to find this stuff? VDUB.jpg

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artemis,

Sounds like you have a great expedition planned. The mantles and regulator hose can usually be found at you local Walmart in the outdoor section.
The tent might take a little practice, I have seen them done, but couldn't begin to help you with directions.
Good luck and have a great trip!:happy3:

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dang..if camping in a volkswagon is old school camping...I am staying out of this conversation
but...those Volkswagen heaters an stoves are fussie little beasts...everything must be maintained...
{" there is the german way to work on the Volkswagen, and the wrong way to work on a volkswagon" }

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my camping has been sleeping on the ground next to a fire, no tent if not raining. I remember years ago i went camping in south texas with a couple of friends. We brought lots of lone star beer to drink, and even brushed our teeth with beer in the morning. Didn't bring any real food or even water.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God bless you Mekong Mike for drinkin all the Lone Star you could, because you know in Texas we need to drink that to keep the kids from gettin ahold of it. (Nothin in that statement is meant to imply I have any connection to Baja Oklahoma. Y'all keeping bringin us bags of money and we'll keep makin it snow and keep the mountains purple and majestic. Yeah buddy!)

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
God bless you Mekong Mike for drinkin all the Lone Star you could, because you know in Texas we need to drink that to keep the kids from gettin ahold of it. (Nothin in that statement is meant to imply I have any connection to Baja Oklahoma. Y'all keeping bringin us bags of money and we'll keep makin it snow and keep the mountains purple and majestic. Yeah buddy!)

:sign10:
Baja Oklahoma...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread