Terraserver aerial,Imprint Of Circle with Cross on top of Bluff,Strange stories

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys & gals:
Thought I would share this image with everyone, im not going back to this spot,the snakes here are Bad!

This Image is of a Imprint on top of the Bluff just North of the little Grand Canyon in Southern Illinois, Yes there are Stories Of this General area,one is of a Strange Rock That has indian writing all over it, John Allen wrote of this Rock in his book ,tales & lore of southern illinois, the story is, the Figured rock treasure, the rock is real,, it is there but I find what ive heard of it hard to believe, I was told that the rock has a hole up high with a smaller rock shoved back into it, it is suppose to hold some great treasure, ole timers say that the rock is haunted & starts ringing loudly when struck or tampered with?
Another Story in this general area is that a Spanish boat sank in the 90 degree turn just north of the Canyon & everything on board was hide on top of the Bluff,, A Spanish Helmet was Found in this area in a hole on the side of the Bluff,, Who knows? The imprint I found in this image is pretty large it's close to the edge of the Bluff & can't be seen from the ground, its in the woods, I was there once hiking, Snakes are terrible in that area,im not going back<G>. Directions,Hike down little grand canyon to big muddy river,turn back up the canyon,take the first ravine on the north/left going back up canyon, go over top of hill,head toward the river, the imprint is in that area, I couldn't find it from the ground??
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx? If anyone knows what these imprints could be post a message.
T=1&S=10&Z=16&X=1439&Y=20870&W=3&qs=%7cpomona%7cil%7c
Les

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Re: Terraserver aerial,Imprint Of Circle with Cross on top of Bluff,Strange stor

Are you saying that what you have heard is other than what is in the book?Creepy ghosty stories are INTENTed to keep people away, dude. What happened? Did the indians massacre them? Didn't you take any pics of the Indian writing? I'll go in March or whenevr the next friday the 13th is for that matter if I'm satisfied there is something there wothwhile retrieving....Howz aboot u fill me in with all the details I need? stvn.

OP
OP
L

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi : My health won't allow me to hike that far anymore, the only other way is by boat, I don't know what if anything is there,but there are alot of stories concerning this area, One in general that is interesting is of a old indian who came to this area wanting to hire people to help him recover Gold that his tribe had hidden in a cave & sealed with three dressed rocks, all I know is He stated that the Cave is close to where Ceder Creek runs into Big Muddy River just south of this spot, the terrian there is high bluffs,hills,overhangs,woods,Oh & Lots of Snake dens .shawnee N. Forest property.
Les

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi Les,

I am getting to understand you are not a fan of snakes; you remind of me of Indiana Jones.

Would be very interesting to explore. Yes, winter time when the snakes go to Florida for the winter break.

Any other research leads you have for this one?

You seem to run into the most interesting and dangerous treasure leads.

OP
OP
L

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi: Here is a Terra Topo Of Horseshoe Bluff, This is just south of that Circle imprint, somewhere in the area of that Circle is where Figured Rock is Located. That of Course has nothing to do With The Story about the old Indian . another interesting thing about that area is Just across Big Muddy River from this spot where the 90 degree turn of Big Muddy is was Where one of the Indian Reservations was Located in the early 1800's 640 acres Of Bottomland, that is where Chief Duquion/don't know about this spelling, & his tribe lived, thier land ran across the corner of the 90 degree turn of Big Muddy, Hey, that reminds me of another story, Have you Guys ever heard of the Big Muddy Monster,,LOL. Serious ,,Look it up on the net,from Murphysboro Illinois, Type The Big Muddy Monster in a Search box! There might be Big Hairy Creatures in that area too! Im not goin back there!
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=16&X=359&Y=5214&W=3&qs=|pomona|il|
Les

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
You mean there is only a big hairy monster and thousands of snakes standing between you and the treasure. Ah, come on, where is your sense of adventure and love of greed??

I think a winter expedition would be perfect. Let the snakes go to sleep and the vegetation diminish.

If the area is that rough then bring in a partner. Always easier to carry out treasure with a partner.

OP
OP
L

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this area well and this area is known for large amounts of rattlesnakes. They are so bad that the road gets closed for human protection. You better wait for colder weather for your protection. I have confronted 3 rattlers in the past month just about 2 - 3 miles from there while mowing grass. Not a fun site to see up close believe me.

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Wow, that is serious rattlers.

I wonder how the Indians handles it when they were living there.

It would be a profitable rattlesnake farm; tastes just like chicken I hear. Ah, the snake; not the farmer.

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Hi Guys, It sound like a winter expedition to me. I wonder how much would those snakeproof suits cost you buy them in bulk :-\? I have a machete, who's' bringing the dynamite :)?

OP
OP
L

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Terraserver aerial,Imprint Of Circle with Cross on top of Bluff,Strange stor

Hi Guys: In a prior post I had mentioned a Spanish boat that was suppose to have struck a rock just South of the 90 degree turn in big muddy, anyways, the story came from some old papers at the Shawee College Library archives in Southern Illinois, a friend of mine was researching coinshooting sites,he just happened onto the writings, the story said that three Spanish boats entered big muddy from the mississippi river, the first Boat hit a rock & started to sink, everything aboard that could be loaded on the other boats was,the rest was hide in the area, I told my brotherinlaw this story, he mentioned it to his dad which was a riverboat Caption, his dad said that it happened just South of the 90 in big muddy,how he knew this , I don't have a clue? What happened to the boat, I don't know, I did find a rather large cross under a overhang along Ceder Creek not to far from where it enters big muddy river ,it is carved into the rock maybe a inch deep & all of the ends of the cross flare out. The Cross is about a foot tall, I don't know if it is spanish,there are also at least 100 peoples names carved under this overhang into the rock,why I don't have a clue? This is in the woods.the dates with the names range from early to late 1800's. maybe that spot was a favorite rest stop?
Les

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods

les said:
Hi Guys: In a prior post I had mentioned a Spanish boat that was suppose to have struck a rock just South of the 90 degree turn in big muddy, anyways, the story came from some old papers at the Shawee College Library archives in Southern Illinois, a friend of mine was researching coinshooting sites,he just happened onto the writings, the story said that three Spanish boats entered big muddy from the mississippi river, the first Boat hit a rock & started to sink, everything aboard that could be loaded on the other boats was,the rest was hide in the area, I told my brotherinlaw this story, he mentioned it to his dad which was a riverboat Caption, his dad said that it happened just South of the 90 in big muddy,how he knew this , I don't have a clue? What happened to the boat, I don't know, I did find a rather large cross under a overhang along Ceder Creek not to far from where it enters big muddy river ,it is carved into the rock maybe a inch deep & all of the ends of the cross flare out. The Cross is about a foot tall, I don't know if it is spanish,there are also at least 100 peoples names carved under this overhang into the rock,why I don't have a clue? This is in the woods.the dates with the names range from early to late 1800's. maybe that spot was a favorite rest stop?
Les
The names were very likely early treasure-hunters.` Kinda like a guest book signing in where the major clue, the big carved cross, was at.WISH you had a pic of that crosss to post, Les!! It would verify or dispute the origin of the cross as being Spanish or not.... Just my 2-cents worth. stvn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread