Tesoro Cibola - Finds Silver In Tall Grass

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the Cibola out for an early morning swing to beat the heat. I arrived at the site at 6:15 only to find that the grass hadn't been cut like I was told it would be, so I went down the street where I've found those silver half dollars to see if there was anything else left.

I didn't find any silver, but I did find a few more clad coins and a couple of wheat pennies. Finally I said what the heck, I'm going to swing my coil over that tall grass on the lot down the street to see what I can find.

My second target was a 1943 War Nickel. Most places the grass was about 4 inches above the dirt, so I really had to pay attention to those faint audio signals. I heard a faint soft whisper in the discriminate mode and then switched to all metal and I was still hearing the faint whisper. I dug down into the dirt about 5 inches or so and popped a 1942 Mercury Dime.

I also found 6 more wheat pennies and few clad coins. I know that this yard has more silver in it, but the heat, high humidity and tall wet grass from a heavy dew was taking its toll on me. So, at a little before 9:00 o'clock I decided to head for the house and wait for the grass to be cut, before going back to that site.

My settings were: discrimination was set just high enough to discriminate out nails, a slight hum on the threshold, a little negative on the ground balance and full sensitivity. Coil: NEL Sharpshooter.

On my way home I found another place to detect, but from the looks of the ground I won't be detecting there until we get some rain. The ground is getting rock hard!

tabman

Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20001_zpsahyihnx7.jpg
Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20003_zps7weuqovs.jpg

Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20005_zps77qbfnt5.jpg
Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20007_zpsouv3f3be.jpg

Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20011_zpsk7k2v6wp.jpg

Cibola%20War%20Nickel%20Mercury%20Dime%20009_zpshwlqenmg.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ole silver hound! Glad to see that old "dumb phone" technology still works to find metal objects in the ground.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You ole silver hound! Glad to see that old "dumb phone" technology still works to find metal objects in the ground.

It works surprisingly well.

tabman

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I'm a fellow Cibola owner so I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I understood the settings you used except for, "a little negative on the ground balance". How did you achieve that? I thought the Cibola only had auto-ground balance which happens as soon as you turn on the machine.

Also, it says you're using a NEL Sharpshooter coil. Did you swap that out yourself or did you send it back to Tesoro? I thought I read that if you changed coils on a Cibola, the new coil might not be tuned to the machine properly and the auto-ground balance might not work correctly. Which is why Tesoro recommends you send it back to them for tuning.

Trying to learn more about my Cibola, so thanks in advance for the tips.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I'm a fellow Cibola owner so I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I understood the settings you used except for, "a little negative on the ground balance". How did you achieve that? I thought the Cibola only had auto-ground balance which happens as soon as you turn on the machine.

Also, it says you're using a NEL Sharpshooter coil. Did you swap that out yourself or did you send it back to Tesoro? I thought I read that if you changed coils on a Cibola, the new coil might not be tuned to the machine properly and the auto-ground balance might not work correctly. Which is why Tesoro recommends you send it back to them for tuning.

Trying to learn more about my Cibola, so thanks in advance for the tips.

God help me for not being able to be more clear in what I'm saying. I have a 'modded' Cibola. A ground balance and a trigger switch for the 'all metal' mode and pinpointing were added. In other words, I have a fancy Vaquero. I bet that did have you scratching your head a little. Sorry about that.

tabman

metalfun

Jun 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hero is still findind silver.Great job Tabman.Finding it a little eaiser to get around on the forum.I really like it.HH

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hero is still findind silver.Great job Tabman.Finding it a little eaiser to get around on the forum.I really like it.HH

Thanks. It's mostly about knowing how to find good locations to detect. I took my hunting skills and applied them to metal detecting.

I'm glad that you like the forum site. It has a lot of good information to soak up and it's also a fun place to post.

I want to see pictures of your finds!

tabman

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the Cibola out for an early morning swing to beat the heat. I arrived at the site at 6:15 only to find that the grass hadn't been cut like I was told it would be...

"Hey...YOU! YES...YOU! Cut your GRASS Laddie..." :laughing7:

I've been hitting places around 6am as well - it's about the only time I can stand it! Good to see you over here and that the silver train keeps on chuggin! New places open up daily so no end in sight...just hope we keep getting rain at least once/week!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Hey...YOU! YES...YOU! Cut your GRASS Laddie..." :laughing7:

I've been hitting places around 6am as well - it's about the only time I can stand it! Good to see you over here and that the silver train keeps on chuggin! New places open up daily so no end in sight...just hope we keep getting rain at least once/week!

I offered to cut the grass for one old fellow so I could get closer to ground with my coil, but he said that he could do the cutting himself and he did a find job.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread