dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100% with Keppy. Stick with what you know and are comfy with. Detector brands are pretty much like cars. They all have different models and options. I out grew my 1st detector so I moved up a model and then i moved up again for the challenge and to see how much better a detector can be for double the money. I learned one thing for sure. You will not find any more with a $2500 detector then you will with a $600 detector. You just have a better chance knowing what it is before you dig.

Bells and whistles cost money no matter what brand a person buys.

Another way to look at is if you don't try new thing you will never know the difference. I've seen to many times midlevel detectors not signaling at all or giving a nondiggable reading on deep or masked targets. If you are just after recent shallow target the super wazoo are not a benefit, but deeper hard to get top of line detectors have an advantage.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Another way to look at is if you don't try new thing you will never know the difference. I've seen to many times midlevel detectors not signaling at all or giving a nondiggable reading on deep or masked targets. If you are just after recent shallow target the super wazoo are not a benefit, but deeper hard to get top of line detectors have an advantage.
I hate to tell you this just because we use the same brand detector we used 10 , 20 , 30 , 40 . years ago we did not say that we do not up grade to the newer models of the brands we started out with .. But i have to go with along with , raineyday101 , and , Normsel .. To spend $1200.00 to $2400.00 for a detector to coin shoot is just plain crazy … I can see spending big $$$ If you hunt the Beach , and if you are a Prospector……. But to say look my $2000.00 detector just found a dime makes no sense to me...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to tell you this just because we use the same brand detector we used 10 , 20 , 30 , 40 . years ago we did not say that we do not up grade to the newer models of the brands we started out with .. But i have to go with along with , raineyday101 , and , Normsel .. To spend $1200.00 to $2400.00 for a detector to coin shoot is just plain crazy … I can see spending big $$$ If you hunt the Beach , and if you are a Prospector……. But to say look my $2000.00 detector just found a dime makes no sense to me...

People dont seem to realize, there are some $500 detectors that just work better than others. With some companies you pay for advanced technology, and durability. With that same $500 you can get an old technology detector with1/2 the features but you get a lifetime warranty! People who haven't tried other detectors always say there brand is best. Nothing new

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way I look at it I don't lose money, I buy used detectors use them for years them sell them for what I paid. If I buy new, use it for 4 years and sell it it is still worth 70-80% of what I paid for it. On a $2000 detector I use it for 4 years and then sell it for $1600 it cost me $400 or a $100 a year....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Way I look at it I don't lose money, I buy used detectors use them for years them sell them for what I paid. If I buy new, use it for 4 years and sell it it is still worth 70-80% of what I paid for it. On a $2000 detector I use it for 4 years and then sell it for $1600 it cost me $400 or a $100 a year....
..TH .. But you hunt the beach were you need a high $$ detector.. like i said ..BEACH .. PROSPECTING

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to tell you this just because we use the same brand detector we used 10 , 20 , 30 , 40 . years ago we did not say that we do not up grade to the newer models of the brands we started out with .. But i have to go with along with , raineyday101 , and , Normsel .. To spend $1200.00 to $2400.00 for a detector to coin shoot is just plain crazy … I can see spending big $$$ If you hunt the Beach , and if you are a. I)l Prospector……. But to say look my $2000.00 detector just found a dime makes no sense to me...

I never said spend that much I bought a explorer for four hundred . All I'm saying is if you don't experiment with others what you are using is the best you'll know. I specifically mean beep and dig verses tone and vid. A couple years ago the was a thread about the same subject and one of the more vocal guys using a
Tesoro responded to me saying how accurate my explorer was with how he loves to follow guys like me and get the good stuff. Well low and behold a couple months go by,and he post finding his first silver coin. Meanwhile in the same time frame I found around 30. If you are happy with what you are using keep using it. I have tried several from everyone but whites and will when I find one for the right price but some who have never tried anything else are just thumping their chest unless they have tried others.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..TH .. But you hunt the beach were you need a high $$ detector.. like i said ..BEACH .. PROSPECTING
I also still own an ETRAC I bought used for land hunting.

I have owned Whites, Tesoro, Troy, Fisher and Minelab too....

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great point. If the detector gives you joy and keeps you happy for years and you sell it, how much money are you really 'losing' if you sell it and get even 1/2 of your investment back?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I also still own an ETRAC I bought used for land hunting.

I have owned Whites, Tesoro, Troy, Fisher and Minelab too....
That's fine E-Tracs can now be found for under $900.00 and some time less .. I tried all brands but stuck with the 2 i like best …. Minelab and Garrett.. but i am thinking about putting a Tesoro in my truck So i will always have a detector with me … I had a Tesoro Golden Sabre once and wish i have never sold it … Been watching Ebay for another one...

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.. I tried all brands but stuck with the 2 i like best …. Minelab and Garrett..

I have as well, and agree. For me it is Minelab, and Tesoro. :thumbsup:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never looked at detecting as something to make money or break even when I'm done doing it. I do it because I enjoy the geeky hobby and really don't care what others think when they see me having fun. I've been at it for close to 40 years now and have swung quit a few different brands also. If someone buys what they can afford and enjoys themselves and is happy with the unit they have, why do people feel they have to prove them wrong for not liking the exact same detector that they have? I can see others saying they think theirs is a great detector and explain why to help someone out with a buying decision but does anyone have proof that the detector they swing is absolutely better than anything else made?

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro responded to me saying how accurate my explorer was with how he loves to follow guys like me and get the good stuff. Well low and behold a couple months go by,and he post finding his first silver coin. Meanwhile in the same time frame I found around 30. If you are happy with what you are using keep using it. I have tried several from everyone but whites and will when I find one for the right price but some who have never tried anything else are just thumping their chest unless they have tried others.

I have no doubt you found a lot of coins with your detector. Doesn't necessarily make the detector better. I would bet it was a largely a matter of the great location/s you were hunting.

I look at the $1200 and up detector like this- It takes a lot, and I mean a lot of clad or even silver coins to pay for it. In the end no matter how high priced the detector is, they still don't make one that can tell you there is a gold ring under the coil. If you don't dig the trash you don't get the cash. In my personal opinion (and it's just that), if you are gonna be digging all to find gold rings, there is not much point to spending the big bucks, again because the detector can't tell trash from a ring. Single tone Tesoro's work just fine for this. (at least for me)

I understand getting a good deal on a used high dollar detector. I haven't done that because with me loser luck I would buy a broken piece of junk and get screwed.

Metal detecting is a hobby. Like all hobbies, some people go all in and others use what is reasonably priced and works for them. We all have different levels we are willing to spend in any hobby. I could afford a high end unit with all the gizmos and a display, but I work on high tech crap all day and enjoy simple and effective in my spare detecting time. I don't know that Tesoro is or isn't the best, they just work well for me and bring me success. If your detector is doing great for you and you are making great finds, I wouldn't change a thing!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no doubt you found a lot of coins with your detector. Doesn't necessarily make the detector better. I would bet it was a largely a matter of the great location/s you were hunting.

I look at the $1200 and up detector like this- It takes a lot, and I mean a lot of clad or even silver coins to pay for it. In the end no matter how high priced the detector is, they still don't make one that can tell you there is a gold ring under the coil. If you don't dig the trash you don't get the cash. In my personal opinion (and it's just that), if you are gonna be digging all to find gold rings, there is not much point to spending the big bucks, again because the detector can't tell trash from a ring. Single tone Tesoro's work just fine for this. (at least for me)

I understand getting a good deal on a used high dollar detector. I haven't done that because with me loser luck I would buy a broken piece of junk and get screwed.

Metal detecting is a hobby. Like all hobbies, some people go all in and others use what is reasonably priced and works for them. We all have different levels we are willing to spend in any hobby. I could afford a high end unit with all the gizmos and a display, but I work on high tech crap all day and enjoy simple and effective in my spare detecting time. I don't know that Tesoro is or isn't the best, they just work well for me and bring me success. If your detector is doing great for you and you are making great finds, I wouldn't change a thing!
I ride a full suspension mt. bike that cost a bit over $2000. It will never pay for itself. It is a hobby and an investment in health. Sure a $500 bike will handle alot of the trails I ride, but I have much more fun riding my $2k bike. To me, the fun and enjoyment is worth it. So it is for people with $1200 detectors. If you plan for it to pay for itself, you are buying it for the wrong reason IMO. If the $1200 detector motivates you to get out and hunt more, it is worth whatever you feel you want to spend on it; whether it be $161, $446, or even $2895. Or maybe we should all get a Bounty Hunter from Radio Shack so we can pay it off quickly?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ride a full suspension mt. bike that cost a bit over $2000. It will never pay for itself. It is a hobby and an investment in health. Sure a $500 bike will handle alot of the trails I ride, but I have much more fun riding my $2k bike. To me, the fun and enjoyment is worth it. So it is for people with $1200 detectors. If you plan for it to pay for itself, you are buying it for the wrong reason IMO. If the $1200 detector motivates you to get out and hunt more, it is worth whatever you feel you want to spend on it; whether it be $161, $446, or even $2895. Or maybe we should all get a Bounty Hunter from Radio Shack so we can pay it off quickly?

I finally figured out why I have so much fun detecting. I have never given a second thought to paying off any of my equipment or missing a gold ring because I wasn't digging enough trash.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like reading the nonsense from the haters and seeing how hard they try and make their opinions into facts. 21,000+ views of this thread is a very good thing. Folks, I don't really care what brand of machine YOU use. I don't care whether or not you like multitudes of factory mode programs or VID screens. If these things make you happy, then like the guys that married my ex-wives - I wish you nothing but the best.

As for me, I LOVE my Tesoro machines. I love how affordable they are. I love how lightweight they are. I love how easy they are to set up and run. I love the battery life I get with them. I love the fact that I almost never have to use a handheld pinpointer because they are so accurate. I love that just by listening to the tone of the signal all these years, I can decide very quickly whether I want to dig a target or not. I love the depth and sensitivity that I get with them. I love finding gold behind more expensive "technologically advanced" machines that told my detecting buddies they were over a pulltab or piece of foil. I love the service I have received from Tesoro when I needed it (twice over the last 20+ years). I love that Tesoro is an American company, owned and operated by an Arizona family that employ Americans.

I am a proud and loud Tesoro fan and user. I sing their praises because Tesoro machines have given me thousands of hours of pleasure, and thousands of dollars in buried treasures. If you think your detector is better, well, I disagree. In the end, my opinion is no more valid than yours, but I’ll put my gold and silver stack up against anyone else’s anytime. So, if anyone wants to know how I feel, here it is: I’ve tried almost all the rest, and I have always come back to the best – Tesoro. American made, Arizona tough!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For some reason Scott, I think a Bounty Hunter would suit you well!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bounty hunter Tesoro same thing.

Gotta disagree on that one. When you buy a Tesoro you get a bumper sticker with the detector. With Bounty Hunter you don't get a bumper sticker. It's an optional accessory that can be purchased separately. The nod goes to Tesoro!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta disagree on that one. When you buy a Tesoro you get a bumper sticker with the detector. With Bounty Hunter you don't get a bumper sticker. It's an optional accessory that can be purchased separately. The nod goes to Tesoro!

Bounty gets the nod for having multiple tones.

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to get into this fight.But i just did an airtest with a vaquero,mxt and a at pro object small 10k ring.With both the mxt and at pro the ring had to be against the coil before it was picked up.The vaquero picked it up at bout 3 inches.No expert here just a guy enjoying the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread