Tesoro Vaquero emits loud continuous tone. Why?

jamboree

Greenie
Nov 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a Tesoro Vaquero. Worked absolutely flawlessly for two years (and it's a great machine), then suddenly this morning, after assembling it fully and correctly, I turn it on and (after the initial "battery test" beeps) it blares out a loud continuous tone that can't be stopped (aside from turning off the detector, obviously). No adjustments to any knobs have any effect on the sound. The battery is brand new. I am not near any metal. Anyone have a clue as to what is causing this?

I suspect the problem might not be with the "brain" of the machine, but instead with the coil (the standard 9x8 coil that came with it). If my memory serves me correctly, if a person attempts to turn on any Vaquero main until without having a coil plugged into it, the machine will emit this same loud continuous tone. The tone will stop once a coil is plugged in. Is this correct? My problem is that I have no other Tesoro machines and no other Tesoro coils to test out this diagnosis. I now get the same continuous blaring tone whether or not I have the coil plugged in. It's as if the brain is not noticing the fact that the coil is even there, indicating perhaps that the coil (or its cable) is broken somehow.

Not sure why this happened -- perhaps the cable got crimped and the wire broke inside? I don't notice any obvious flaws in the coil or its cable, but one never knows.

My plan is to just buy another Tesoro coil somewhere, and plug that new one into the same main Vaquero main unit, and perhaps that will solve the problem. Or perhaps I'm being a fool by buying a new coil to go with a broken detector! That's why I'm making this post -- to try to figure out if the problem is with the "brain," or instead with the coil.

Anybody have a Tesoro? If you simply switched on the main unit without having a coil plugged in, what happens? Does it emit a loud continuous tone? Or does it remain silent? I wish I could test this out myself, but with just the one machine, I have no way to do that. And now that Tesoro is out of business, I can't send it back for repairs, and no one there answers the phone.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jamboree

Greenie
Nov 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've taken the plunge and am buying a new coil. Once it arrives, I should be able to diagnose the problem. If the same problem persists even when connected to a new coil known to be in good shape, I'll end up with two working coils and zero working detectors, but that's the risk I have to take!

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't own a Tesoro, but the cable/coil issue would be my guess. I once turned on a garrett detector with coil unscrewed from the detector and got a loud, continuous scream. Good luck. I hope the new coil fixes it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check your coil cover ?

OP
OP
J

jamboree

Greenie
Nov 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did check it, and no problems there, nothing stuck in it or anything. But the problem couldn't be with the coil cover anyway, because the sound is the same whether or not the coil is even plugged in. I suspect that the internal wire inside the cable coming out of the coil somehow got crimped and weakened, so that there is no longer a good electrical connection from the machine to the coil, so the "brain" does not even detect the fact that a coil is connected at all, even when it appears to be fully plugged in and screwed in. At least that's my hope. If instead it turns out to be the main brain unit that's broken, you may see some Tesoro coils for sale here soon! :sad11:

OP
OP
J

jamboree

Greenie
Nov 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll wrap up this thread with a nice conclusion, since I found the answer; in case anyone ever has a similar question in the future maybe they'll see this and it will help them.

I ordered a replacement coil (9"x8") for my Vaquero, and when I plugged it in to the machine -- it functioned perfectly! No loud continuous tone! Then as an experiment I switched back and forth between the two coils a couple times: whenever my old coil was plugged in, I got the continuous loud tone; but whenever the new coil was plugged in, no tone, and proper metal-detector functioning.

Thus, the problem, as I has suspected and hoped, was NOT with the main "brain" unit of the Vaquero, but with the coil, which somehow must have gotten broken (probably in the cable). So: Problem solved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread