Tesoro vs. Garrett AT Pro question

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I cant believe this thread is still going....anyway....... I have hundreds of hours on my AT pro and AT gold machines. Lets talk AT pro vs Tejon for a moment.....I dug up a super nice Hardee Hat Pin awhile back on a relic hunt that was waaayy down there. I relic hunt with the disc on the Tejon set around foil, as to not miss anything. The AT pro, at the depth of this target is going to give a foil tone/ID at best ....probably iron. I have learned to dig anything that even sometimes gives a mid tone on the AT pro and have found some great relics this way. But it can be exhausting when a lot of rusty square nails are present. The Tejon, once learned, will sound very "clean" on a truly "good" target. This does not mean that the Tejon is handsdown the better detector.....this just means for this type of hunting and for the deep stuff I prefer it over just about everything. I will say that the Tejon, when set up properly, can be a very successful coin hunter also. The AT pro just naturally fits into the coin hunting role better. The AT Gold seems to fall right between these two and does great in almost any situation(except wet sand) and is one of my favorite machines. For the guy who only wants to buy one machine and wants to relic hunt a field today and coin hunt a park tomorrow, I would recommend the AT gold but either of the others would work just fine also. Hope someone can find something in this rambling of mine to be helpful........Happy Hunting!!!

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Garrett AT Pro a good/OK machine. I really liked it at first but on deeper targets you cant really rely on the ID/screen in my opinion it gets confused (if the Tesoro has a clean smooth round sound dig it a clean sound on a one way swing dig it, it may be a goody next to nail or trash item.Tesoro discrimination is dead on and digital machines cant match it in my opinion). I sold my AT Pro because of a week control box design in my opinion. The mounts on the control box to the rod cracked at the tips of were the mounting screws stopped and the control box fell off on day while turning it on. (I have seen a few other posting over the years about this issue.(I am not bashing Garrett here by any means I am just stating my personal issue with the AT pro). It was fixed by Garrett even though it was out of warranty by 6 months. The detector was not abused no signs of abuse that's why Garrett took care of it for free even though it was out of warranty they could not prove abuse on my part and they stated so to me after the repair (Big time Kudos to them). I just did not trust that this would not happen again to the detector and this is why I sold it. I personally Like the Tesoro machines a little better than the digital ones my self also like the single tone voice of them over even the multi tone units, can thumb the disc knob and get all the info I need, personal preference of course. The Vaquero out of the two for me that you listed as it has a manual ground balance and is a great detector with solid deep consistent performance. Also the Tesoro just separates targets better after you learn it.. Garrett or Tesoro Tiger shark if you want or need a VLF type water proof detector. You asked and this is just my 2 cents on the subject for what it's worth.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions