What's new

Testing rings for gold/silver

PKennett

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
84
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I am starting to find rings on the beaches in Singapore, I would like to determine if they are gold, silver, platinum or just junk. I have a few pieces now that have no mark inside. Other than visiting a jewelry or pawn shop, do any of you test your own jewelry, and if so, what do you use? Thanks!

Peter
 
You can get a set of testing acids at Amazon or eBay. They are inexpensive - about $25 or so and come with a bonus item like a jewelers loupe or digital scale. They take a little practice to read correctly.

All the kits look pretty much alike except one has colored caps and and the other white caps. I had bad luck with the colored top kit I got -- the acids were in the wrong bottles! The second kit I got (white caps) was much better.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom