Testing Runs Video

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Great video! Now I have a gold claimer trommel with a de watering screw & oscillating sluice box that is about 3 feet long. I all ways find fine gold in tailings from de watering screw tank. The hardest dirt I run is in Arizona (Caliche). However in the summer I play in Idaho. Now I run moss under expanded & the tray is painted with chalk board paint, the paint helped a lot.I don't know if you have any experience with a goldclaimer? I could always bring it to Georgia and test it as it is a great machine. Do you have a mat for oscillating sluice box? Thanks Dan Morrell trommel.jpg

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video! Now I have a gold claimer trommel with a de watering screw & oscillating sluice box that is about 3 feet long. I all ways find fine gold in tailings from de watering screw tank. The hardest dirt I run is in Arizona (Caliche). However in the summer I play in Idaho. Now I run moss under expanded & the tray is painted with chalk board paint, the paint helped a lot.I don't know if you have any experience with a goldclaimer? I could always bring it to Georgia and test it as it is a great machine. Do you have a mat for oscillating sluice box? Thanks Dan Morrell

I'll have to give some thought to the oscillating sluice. Sometimes they can be counter productive if running straight exchange mats.
I'm "assuming" there's no way to add a sluice extension to your current setup?
That would be the easy fix.
Doc

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reply Doc. If I want to use the dewatering screw I can't extend the sluice. I can shut down the oscillation. The oscillation does not increase retention it actually does the opposite, however it gets rid of the clay problem. I was thinking after seeing your video maybe I should go with your mat and not oscillate? The nice thing about this trommel is I don't loose any gold as any fine gold the sluice misses gets trapped in the dewatering screw tank. I will order your mats regardless just trying to figure out which ones. I would like to get this perfected as I will be buying more gold claimers for rental purposes. Thanks in advance Dan Morrell

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Doc. If I want to use the dewatering screw I can't extend the sluice. I can shut down the oscillation. The oscillation does not increase retention it actually does the opposite, however it gets rid of the clay problem. I was thinking after seeing your video maybe I should go with your mat and not oscillate? The nice thing about this trommel is I don't loose any gold as any fine gold the sluice misses gets trapped in the dewatering screw tank. I will order your mats regardless just trying to figure out which ones. I would like to get this perfected as I will be buying more gold claimers for rental purposes. Thanks in advance Dan Morrell

Do you know the GPH running through the sluice and the sluice width?
I'm trying to calculate gallons per inch / hour. That will help me match the right mat to the sluice.
Most have never measured the true gph, but it helps with the matching up process.

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teel cast iron 3950 G.P.H.belt drive allways full throttle. Sluice is 12" wide 38"Long

If the pump is rated at 3950 gph......... I'll assume the water actually getting to the sluice is about 3200.
(Just a loss factor we use due to lift, friction, water carried out via tailings, etc)

3200 ÷ 12 = 267 gallons per inch width per hour.

That will make your "uninterrupted" slurry depth about 1/2" to 3/4" depending on the pitch of your sluice.
(Slurry depth varies with pitch)

That's a fairly shallow slurry depth so you have to be careful.
Putting in "riffles" will cause a great deal of turbulence and constantly throw your BEDLOAD, where the gold rides, back into the sediment and dissolved loads
of the slurry. (Not a good thing) Also, with a retained pool of water your slurry thickness also will create issues. ANY turbulence in a thick slurry will
cause losses of fine gold. It's the same problem they have in Africa. (i.e. GoldRush 2013 and several ops we work with down there.)

I'm leaning towards running all Talon Mat just because your sluice is not extra long, and we need to have some aggression mixed with little turbulence.
I think it might also be cool to try alternating Talon and UR running all the way down. It creates a ROUGH / SMOOTH effect that works well sometimes
with thicker slurries. If you did that, don't GLUE your mats... tape them for test runs and see where the gold is being caught... mat by mat.
Then you can rearrange.

Also........
Start by running the sluice SO HOT... that you lose all your gold. Yes........... blow out all your gold.
Then CLICK it down degree by degree until you hit the sweet spot.
It's the best way to tune a sluice.
Doc

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Doc, thats the best explanation I have ever had. Now,I assume I should turn the oscillation off is that correct? Thanks again! I will be back down in Yuma in a couple of weeks and will order mats as I think it will make a lot of difference. I will also shoot a video to have a visual.

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, turn it off.
You're trying to fine tune based on velocity and parallel flow creating an exchange.
So I would keep any other factors out.
Just remember to start it so steep........ you lose all your gold.
Then tone it down.
I like to say............
"You can't catch all your gold... until you learn how to lose it."

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Doc, makes good sense to me I will get a hold of you in April. I do believe your mats will run without loading,have a great day and thanks for the info!

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to tell everyone I have switched to GOLD HOG MAT on our gold claimer trommel and can't believe how this stuff works! I bought 3 different mats. Scrubber,talon & razorback alternating down the sluice. I have tested the mat several times and am catching -100 gold & coarse gold all in the first 12 inches of mat! The minus 100 used to be washed out into the sand screw but now it stays in the sluice box where it belongs! I did not know if it would work as this sluice only gets about 65 gallons of water per minute down the box. It does not load up with clay like minors moss either! Thank You so much Doc! You have gotten rid of some of my headaches!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread