🥇 BANNER Thank God That I Didn't Hit It!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a early start this morning at the 1853 home site permission. I've pounded this site really super hard with my CTX 3030, Equinox, F75DST, CZ3D, and Deus detectors. I've pulled string lines to make sure that I'm getting my search coils over every inch of ground. Keep in mind, with every detector I'm digging all repeatable non-ferrous targets regardless of ID. I'm going back over all of it again with my Tesoro detectors and I'm still finding lots of targets.

This morning right off I found a horse shoe and I figured it was going to bring me some good luck. I had my modded Cibola with a 8 inch concentric search coil attached. I set the threshold to a slight hum, turned the sensitivity all the way up, set to discrimination just barely high enough to disc out an iron nail and ground balanced so it would be a little on the negative side. It was running sweet and smooth.

I was finding plenty of targets to dig that the other detectors had missed. I was finding pull tabs, some nickels and some other low conductors. In my mind those could have been gold rings. For some reason Tesoro detectors just finds stuff that other detectors can't or they talk you out of digging. lol

Anyway, I got my search coil over nice sounding target and popped a plug. I checked the plug with my pin-pointer and it sounded off. I knock off some dirt and saw about an inch of deep yellow gold chain. I knew by how it looked that it was the real deal! I started saying oh God please let it be a whole chain that I didn't cut in half with my digger. It took a minute or so to compose myself before I started slowly and carefully pulling the chain from the plug.

Lucky me, I didn't hit it! It's old gold marked '750' which is 18k gold. It's 25 inches long and weighs in at whopping 17.25 grams! Talk about getting excited. Finding that much gold 'dirt fishing' doesn't happen too often. I was so excited that I decided to come on home early because I couldn't concentrate on detecting. You have to be able to concentrate when you're detecting. lol I'll go back in couple of days and do some more swinging with my Tesoro detectors.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    634.4 KB · Views: 1,027
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    630.1 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    599.1 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 472
Upvote 141
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, some nice saves, that chain must have been lost by the family horse and is unbelievable!!! Congrats on all

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Religious medal! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt, some nice saves, that chain must have been lost by the family horse and is unbelievable!!! Congrats on all
Thanks! I'd like to be able see how things looked around 1853 at that house site. 5 or 6 kids playing in the yard and horses etc. There are houses close to it now, but they weren't built until around 1912 or so. The nearest neighbor back then was around a 1/4 mile down the road from the best that I can tell.

Religious medal! :occasion14:
Thanks! That medal sure did get me to say oh God numerous times. lol

tabman

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! I'd like to be able see how things looked around 1853 at that house site. 5 or 6 kids playing in the yard and horses etc. There are houses close to it now, but they weren't built until around 1912 or so. The nearest neighbor back then was around a 1/4 mile down the road from the best that I can tell.

Thanks! That medal sure did get me to say oh God numerous times. lol

tabman

One of my favorite parts of this hobby is putting as much research as possible into the people at these times and places, ways of life for the area, and the equipment we use to discover it. Then use that gathered information along with dug evidence to paint an image of their home life based on relics recovered. I always wanted to be an archaeologist and this cuts it for me. Especially when home sites are on your own property and you can just go there and try to envision life nearly 200 years ago at any time. Haven’t we all had the vision of standing in a field and time warping back the environment around us to just observe. Imagine what we would learn by just seeing.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a great find. I also have made great finds before and was unable to continue detecting.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!!! One of those times that you will never forget! Congratulations on a GREAT find!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman, That is quite a search procedure you are going through And it is paying off! While watching YT videos of detector groups they talk about going back to locations multiple times during different seasons (wet, dry, etc) as well as using various detectors and swinging in different compass directions. They are now using the Garret ATX and it is finding more and deeper targets but of course all signals are being dug so they also come up with a lot of junk targets as well as silver coins (and non silver coins), some jewelry and some small gold adornments.

Your chain is magnificent! Thank you for sharing..........63bkpkr

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find! Congrats on the pile of gold!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a great find. I also have made great finds before and was unable to continue detecting.
Thanks! I usually don't get too excited about silver coins, but finding gold is another story.

WOW! Super awesome find! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks! It seems you always find something good when you least expect it.

WOW!!!!!! One of those times that you will never forget! Congratulations on a GREAT find!
Thanks! I love looking back through the years at all the pictures of my finds. By taking a picture of the detector I used and some of the area around where I dug my find helps me remember a lot.

Tabman, That is quite a search procedure you are going through And it is paying off! While watching YT videos of detector groups they talk about going back to locations multiple times during different seasons (wet, dry, etc) as well as using various detectors and swinging in different compass directions. They are now using the Garret ATX and it is finding more and deeper targets but of course all signals are being dug so they also come up with a lot of junk targets as well as silver coins (and non silver coins), some jewelry and some small gold adornments.

Your chain is magnificent! Thank you for sharing..........63bkpkr
Thanks! I went back to the site today and there for a short while the pool pump that's causing a lot the EMI issues stopped running. The detector ran a lot smoother and I seemed to be picking up targets that I missed on previous hunts.

What a find! Congrats on the pile of gold!
Thanks! I like this necklace better than my $5 gold coin find. Some people don't realize how hard it is to find a gold necklace dirt fishing. It ID's down there in the foil range which means you have to dig a lot of trash to find one. Finding silver coins, rings, buttons and bullets is a piece of cake compared to searching for gold necklaces.

tabman

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, EMI from the pool pump! Never would have guessed that! Arcing from the brushes??? Whatever, that is something to consider when around Pool Pumps.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, EMI from the pool pump! Never would have guessed that! Arcing from the brushes??? Whatever, that is something to consider when around Pool Pumps.
It's one of those old timey pumps, so it must have brushes. Some of my detector were rendered useless from all the noise that they were making. I'm pretty sure that the EMI did a number on depth on the detectors that were running more quietly.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME Find!
Thanks! Finding a 22k+ gold chain that large dirt fishing doesn't happen very often.

Outstanding !
Thanks! I love the color of high karat gold.

Killer hunt congrats...:occasion14:
Thanks! BTW, this chain is in the foil range and discriminates out before nickel. You have to dig it all to find the good stuff. I guess that's why my best finds are found with my Tesoro detectors.

tabman

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa!!! Now that's some beautiful gold! Awesome find, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa!!! Now that's some beautiful gold! Awesome find, congratulations! :occasion14:
Thanks! Digging it all pays off.

Great find , there’s finding gold and than there’s that ! That’s awesome ... so how old do you think it is ?
Thanks! Shoot I don't have a clue how old it is. The house was built in 1853 but it could have been dropped 50 years or more later than that. I'm just happy that I found it and didn't hit it. The Bhat necklace itself is 22k+ and those type of necklaces do have a long interesting history.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread