Thanks Hoover Boys!

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
About 20 years ago I found what I thought was probably a coin, but I wasn't sure because it had a flat spot on one edge. It was worn smooth if it was a coin and at first I didn't see any detail at all on it. But after watching Hoover Boys videos where they scrutinized these worn smooth coins, I was able to make out a few letters near the rim. They were OLUS III. That allowed me to identify the piece as a Mexican 2 real. Once I knew where the date was, I was able to make it out. If you get it under the light just right, you can see the 1785. I could not get the lighting right to get it to show in a photo, but it is there. You can actually see it in this photo if you look at it right. Let me know in your comment if you can see it.

That makes this a colonial US coin, and my oldest US used coin I ever found!

Thanks Hoover Boys for teaching me how to scrutinize a smooth coin!
20230825_062413.jpg

Upvote 21

sandfisher1

Nov 5, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro,Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you show the other side?

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 20 years ago I found what I thought was probably a coin, but I wasn't sure because it had a flat spot on one edge. It was worn smooth if it was a coin and at first I didn't see any detail at all on it. But after watching Hoover Boys videos where they scrutinized these worn smooth coins, I was able to make out a few letters near the rim. They were OLUS III. That allowed me to identify the piece as a Mexican 2 real. Once I knew where the date was, I was able to make it out. If you get it under the light just right, you can see the 1785. I could not get the lighting right to get it to show in a photo, but it is there. You can actually see it in this photo if you look at it right. Let me know in your comment if you can see it.

View attachment 2101194
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

White Wolf

Sep 8, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
X-TERRA 705, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2101194
Cool find! Congrats! And The Hoover Boys are awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread