the ammo dump story is comming together

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Well. I was out for hours and hours today. I decided to hike around and see what else I could find. I found LOTS more bullets as usual. There was some HEAVY action in the area. Turns out, the bunker was NOT an ammo dump afterall! It was the Headquarters! They must of dumped all their ammo they could out in the woods, and blew the bunker. The germans knew the allies were close, and started to get rid of stuff before blowing the bunker. I followed MANY trails of bullets.. some lead across the street to the bunker, most went up the hill. So the allies came though there, though the open field, the germans started to fall back up, and go up the hill. So i followed the trail of bullets up the hillside, and then it just sort of stopped. I did, however, find 2 musket balls (crazy, prob from hunters).. At the top of the hill i didn't find anything really. But on the other side, there were 5 trenches leading to the back side of the hill, where a camp or a place to put the wounded. My friend met up with me and helped me search a bit. We hit the trenches and he stayed on the old main road. I found some frag grenade pieces, a hollow 50 cal round (a tracer I guess).. and some BIG PIECES OF AN ARTY ROUND. I thought my cannonball piece weighed a lot!! It seems the allies were attacking the front of the hill, and some also swung around the rear and attacked from behind... the arty round (maybe from a tank even), was right near a foxhole.

It was getting dark, so my friend and I met up again. He ran into an old german guy who knew about the area, and his father was in the german army. He is the one who told us the bunker was an HQ, and the actual ammo dump was down the old dirt road to the west. But thats not the best part.. he said by the little pond out there, is where the german camp was, where the garrison of soliders were stationed. The piled their weapons, ammo, everything.. and ran over the stuff with tanks! I guess even as a kid, they found motar rounds and what not still lying on the surface. So, all the research has paied off. We even found the map the army used for the area, and have the grid coordinates for further exploration. So maybe after this weekend (i have drill so no THing this weekend), I can find some broken weapons and other goodies.

Anyway, here are my 3 picts for today. i think i found upwards of 80 bullets today, 2 musket balls, rifle bolt, many frag grenade pieces, and some heavy arty shell pieces (the last pict is a close up). Sorry nothing is cleaned up, too busy tonight :( I hope to show you guys something more excitiing than rusty bullets, but those were a LOT of work and a WHOLE LOT OF HIKING! but at least i mapped everything out this time :) Enjoy!

Attachments

• ammodump3.jpg
    ammodump3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 414
  • ammodump4.jpg
    ammodump4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 408
  • artycloseup.jpg
    artycloseup.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
VIPER, Looks Like You Are On The Trail To Some Great WW2 Relics, When I Came Back From Viet Nam I Was Posted In Germany For A Short While, I Can Remember Kicking German Helmits & Artillery Shell Casings While Walking In The Woods Around Saarbruken. If Only I Had Known Then What I Know Now. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff,keep us posted!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Still wonder if it was possible that I once walked over that while I was there. Great pile of ammo Viper. Sooner or later if you play at Graf or other places you might be pulling up some of my lead.

Congratulations,

Rev

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Ah Graf.. it would be cool to hunt there! Its a bit far, but I will try to go there too. I just found 2 more little towns right by landstuhl.. I even marked out the crossroads where a US tank was knocked out and the germans started to open fire. There were 35 bunkers around this town since it was considered a "west wall" fortification. I guess the germans didn't expect the allies to move in along the ridge at a certain angle, so their bunkers were useless, and the town fell rather fast. The bunkers were built by polish POWs (prob from the near by concentration camp), and it would be interesting to go see the bunkers, dragonsteeth, and other stuff still out there.

Also, in a town up by Giessen, the local govt opened up this OFF LIMITS land that they plan to build on in the near future to metal detectorists. Its 3 days in November, I have to get more information on it. There are all kinds of bunkers and stuff that have never been searched since the end of the war. It was a HUGE SS place (and actually, still is )..so i hope to head up there and try to find some interesting stuff.

I am going to try to hit the ammo dump tomorrow or tuesday to hunt around the duck pond where the actual german camp was. Its getting colder, and i want to try to find some good stuff before the rain, snow, and frost hit.. I really hope to find some good stuff :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread