Tarponhuntr

Feb 24, 2013
Western , NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could report that we had found some awesomeness today. But, sadly it was all qunatity and not quality. Started at 11:00 am today, and just marked targets until around 2:30 pm. By 2:30 I had marked 27 different solid hit targets. Most all were zinc , with the occasional dime & Qtr. mark. The strange thing is that they were all in a 10 X 12 ft rectangle , so we were still excited.

I expected we would have all of the targets cleared by 5:00 pm based on the way most of the other targets had gone. Fitst target turned out to be a blank ; the solid hit I had marked earlier turned out to be a mysterious creeper. After I put the first spade in the ground and found nothing , the target began to drift , and we dicided to not chase.

Second target turned out to be a clump of junk ; a piece of steel pipe , fitted with a copper fitting and terminating in what appeared to be a brass air line fitting.

Third target looked promising ; a very solid "Dime" hit. Pulled the first spade out , and pulled two pennies stacked. Figured that was it ,but decided to sweep again just for good measure. After sweeping again , still got the "dime" reading , and quite strong. So proceeded to dig again. Loosened the dirt and got out the pinpointer , and brought out 10 pennies from that hole , and it continued to produce as I kept prodding and scooping.

Well , this turned into the hole from He*@. I kept peeling and pulling until 6:30 pm , and finally called it quits after producing a total of 42 pennies from an area that comprised aprox. 18" x 18". Sadly . none were of any particular interest , with most of them being so badly corroded that they won't even make good roll stuffers.

But , as I ended the hole was still running and showing solid hits in the "dime" range. I expect they will all be pennies , but it is a great training experience and we needed that part of the yard re-seeded anyway. And hey , there are still 22 more painted targets waiting.

I expect that when I am finished with this backyard , I will have had the best traing / test garden that anyone could ever ask for. And you never know , that next hole may just be some more of those silver dimes like my wife found.

HH to all ,and please reconsider the next time you want to just throw those pennies on the ground . :BangHead:

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool dig it all even the iron hard to say what ya might miss out on passing up targets HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread