What's new

Drought ends

PlzBSeated

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2014
Messages
503
Reaction score
4,934
Golden Thread
1
Location
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been skunked every time out for the last two weeks. Was wondering what could cut through the stench. But today the drought ended, and in a peculiar way.

Dimes Obverse 062126.webpDimes Reverse 062126.webp

Four silver! And what was peculiar is... that was about it! Where did all the pennies go? Found plenty of memorials and zincolns, but four old silvers and no Indian Heads, and only one wheat penny. I'll take the silver over the bronze any day, but that was just strange.
I am unsure of the fourth "dime". It is a reeded coin, but it is SMOOTH! I can't make out any detail on it. And it is very thin, about half as thick as the other dimes. So I am wondering if it is a half real? Maybe just an older American dime. I know those were also thinner. Not sure if the half reals were the same diameter as a dime.
I managed to scuff it as I had to wrestle with a tree root to get it free. Probably spent 5 minutes just getting it out of the ground.

Watch Winder Obverse 062126.webpWatch Winder Reverse 062126.webp

Also pulled up this item which I believe is an old pocket watch winder key. Not sure. Maybe some of you could confirm that for me.

Badge Obverse 062126.webpBadge Back 062126.webp

This is an 50s'ish toy badge. Shame it's broken. It's a sturdy, heavy piece. Not like the plastic crap they make these days.

Today's finds...

1876-S Seated Liberty Dime
1900-S Barber Dime
1904 Barber Dime
Slick Dime, possible older American dime or Spanish Half Real.
1953-D Wheatback cent (not pictured)
Pocket Watch Winder Key?
Toy Badge

PBS
 
Upvote 30
Good finds, and for sure that's a watch key... like this one for which the seller is asking a completely unrealistic price (my opinion):

Screenshot 2026-06-22 130813.webp


The design imagery is French, and some collectors believe the person pictured is intended to be Joan of Arc with the pageboy hairstyle she adopted to disguise herself as a man. She was canonised in 1920, so images after that usually have some indication of her sainthood (a halo, or whatever).
 
Great day of digging for silvers.
Sweet watch winder, on this side of the pond we get them but not like in the UK.
The worn silver could very well be thus

Screenshot_20260622_092259_Google.webp


They really got circulated till totally worn out disks.
Nice catch.
 
Great day indeed! I hate finding coins that are totally worn slick!
 
Been skunked every time out for the last two weeks. Was wondering what could cut through the stench. But today the drought ended, and in a peculiar way.

View attachment 2257535View attachment 2257536

Four silver! And what was peculiar is... that was about it! Where did all the pennies go? Found plenty of memorials and zincolns, but four old silvers and no Indian Heads, and only one wheat penny. I'll take the silver over the bronze any day, but that was just strange.
I am unsure of the fourth "dime". It is a reeded coin, but it is SMOOTH! I can't make out any detail on it. And it is very thin, about half as thick as the other dimes. So I am wondering if it is a half real? Maybe just an older American dime. I know those were also thinner. Not sure if the half reals were the same diameter as a dime.
I managed to scuff it as I had to wrestle with a tree root to get it free. Probably spent 5 minutes just getting it out of the ground.

View attachment 2257537View attachment 2257538

Also pulled up this item which I believe is an old pocket watch winder key. Not sure. Maybe some of you could confirm that for me.

View attachment 2257539View attachment 2257540

This is an 50s'ish toy badge. Shame it's broken. It's a sturdy, heavy piece. Not like the plastic crap they make these days.

Today's finds...

1876-S Seated Liberty Dime
1900-S Barber Dime
1904 Barber Dime
Slick Dime, possible older American dime or Spanish Half Real.
1953-D Wheatback cent (not pictured)
Pocket Watch Winder Key?
Toy Badge

PBS
Those are some very nice finds PBS. Its funny when all you can find is silver. Its a good kind of funny, but funny none the less. On your slick silver, I feel like I can see the faint outline of a bust. I'm thinking a capped bust dime or maybe even a draped bust dime. Regardless, I think you can count that as a silver dime tri-fecta. The watch winder is pretty awesome too. Great details. Big congrats!
 
Been skunked every time out for the last two weeks. Was wondering what could cut through the stench. But today the drought ended, and in a peculiar way.

View attachment 2257535View attachment 2257536

Four silver! And what was peculiar is... that was about it! Where did all the pennies go? Found plenty of memorials and zincolns, but four old silvers and no Indian Heads, and only one wheat penny. I'll take the silver over the bronze any day, but that was just strange.
I am unsure of the fourth "dime". It is a reeded coin, but it is SMOOTH! I can't make out any detail on it. And it is very thin, about half as thick as the other dimes. So I am wondering if it is a half real? Maybe just an older American dime. I know those were also thinner. Not sure if the half reals were the same diameter as a dime.
I managed to scuff it as I had to wrestle with a tree root to get it free. Probably spent 5 minutes just getting it out of the ground.

View attachment 2257537View attachment 2257538

Also pulled up this item which I believe is an old pocket watch winder key. Not sure. Maybe some of you could confirm that for me.

View attachment 2257539View attachment 2257540

This is an 50s'ish toy badge. Shame it's broken. It's a sturdy, heavy piece. Not like the plastic crap they make these days.

Today's finds...

1876-S Seated Liberty Dime
1900-S Barber Dime
1904 Barber Dime
Slick Dime, possible older American dime or Spanish Half Real.
1953-D Wheatback cent (not pictured)
Pocket Watch Winder Key?
Toy Badge

PBS
Great coins and a very interesting watch winder!!
 
Been skunked every time out for the last two weeks. Was wondering what could cut through the stench. But today the drought ended, and in a peculiar way.

View attachment 2257535View attachment 2257536

Four silver! And what was peculiar is... that was about it! Where did all the pennies go? Found plenty of memorials and zincolns, but four old silvers and no Indian Heads, and only one wheat penny. I'll take the silver over the bronze any day, but that was just strange.
I am unsure of the fourth "dime". It is a reeded coin, but it is SMOOTH! I can't make out any detail on it. And it is very thin, about half as thick as the other dimes. So I am wondering if it is a half real? Maybe just an older American dime. I know those were also thinner. Not sure if the half reals were the same diameter as a dime.
I managed to scuff it as I had to wrestle with a tree root to get it free. Probably spent 5 minutes just getting it out of the ground.

View attachment 2257537View attachment 2257538

Also pulled up this item which I believe is an old pocket watch winder key. Not sure. Maybe some of you could confirm that for me.

View attachment 2257539View attachment 2257540

This is an 50s'ish toy badge. Shame it's broken. It's a sturdy, heavy piece. Not like the plastic crap they make these days.

Today's finds...

1876-S Seated Liberty Dime
1900-S Barber Dime
1904 Barber Dime
Slick Dime, possible older American dime or Spanish Half Real.
1953-D Wheatback cent (not pictured)
Pocket Watch Winder Key?
Toy Badge

PBS
OUTSTANDING DAY !!!!
 
Congrats on that 4 silver day. That is a great way to end a drought. I like that watch winder also.
 
Been skunked every time out for the last two weeks. Was wondering what could cut through the stench. But today the drought ended, and in a peculiar way.

View attachment 2257535View attachment 2257536

Four silver! And what was peculiar is... that was about it! Where did all the pennies go? Found plenty of memorials and zincolns, but four old silvers and no Indian Heads, and only one wheat penny. I'll take the silver over the bronze any day, but that was just strange.
I am unsure of the fourth "dime". It is a reeded coin, but it is SMOOTH! I can't make out any detail on it. And it is very thin, about half as thick as the other dimes. So I am wondering if it is a half real? Maybe just an older American dime. I know those were also thinner. Not sure if the half reals were the same diameter as a dime.
I managed to scuff it as I had to wrestle with a tree root to get it free. Probably spent 5 minutes just getting it out of the ground.

View attachment 2257537View attachment 2257538

Also pulled up this item which I believe is an old pocket watch winder key. Not sure. Maybe some of you could confirm that for me.

View attachment 2257539View attachment 2257540

This is an 50s'ish toy badge. Shame it's broken. It's a sturdy, heavy piece. Not like the plastic crap they make these days.

Today's finds...

1876-S Seated Liberty Dime
1900-S Barber Dime
1904 Barber Dime
Slick Dime, possible older American dime or Spanish Half Real.
1953-D Wheatback cent (not pictured)
Pocket Watch Winder Key?
Toy Badge

PBS
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom