The best probe?

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
I OWN A WHITES PROBE AND I LOVE MINE. THE ONLY PEOBLEM I HAD WAS THE SWICH WENT OUT. WHITES CO UPGRADED THE SWICH FOR FREE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED... ALL IN ALL CANT COMPLAIN.

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
the pistol probe by far reaches 6" from the tip in air testing and deeper in soil but even better is the headphone/probe setup it is a pulse induction probe that has an optional 8 and 10" coils to hunt with and you cant beat it for depth

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
YEA, THE pistol probe REACHES 6''. BUT WHO WANTS TO PAY 160 FOR A PROBE. I RATHER BUY A NEW COIL FOR MY MD

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I have the pistol probe. So far I'm liking it, but I've only had it on one hunt and it was cold as heck out with snow on the ground. I ended up pulling a scrap of aluminum out of a 15" deep hole with it, and it was detecting that from like 4" down initially. I kept questioning the probe but it kept sounding off in the center of the hole so I kept digging. Eventually I pulled out this 6" long piece of aluminum that was laying flat in the bottom of the hole. I did get frustrated with it once, due to it not having discrimination, but more time will tell if it's the way to go. I get a solid tone at 4" reliably in the air on a quarter... 5" and 6" gets a little more finicky, and I'm not sure if I would dig after something if it was sounding off that weak (the 6" sound). I'm sure it's better in the ground though. I've been wanting to try it on my 8" dime that's in my back yard... who knows... MAYBE it will see it when the ground is moist? I kind of wish the PP had vibration, but I can still hear it through my Ratphones.

I considered the UniProbe in the "pocket" version and/or the "headphone" version. Personally I think the PistolProbe is easier to use than the "pocket" version, and I just didn't want a probe dangling from my headphones. Also, I'm not sure how good the DetectorPro headphones are.

I tried Garrett's ProPointer and it's solid and vibrates and all, but the depth is pretty weak. I don't even think it was 2" on a quarter.

Who wants to pay $160 for a probe?? People pay over $200 all day long for the Sunray X-1 mounted on an extra upper shaft for the Explorers. Those people soon see and claim that it's a necessity for helping to quickly find the target. The PistolProbe is less than the sunray and goes deeper. Let's not start comparing apples to oranges here, but in terms of price... apparently it's justified. Oh yeah, if you don't got the doah for one... then stick with the harbor freight pinpointer for $15... that's a sweet probe for the money, and it gets an inch or more on a quarter.

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
I got the Pistol probe and its lots of bang for the buck!. Makes pinpointing a breeze and cuts down on digging time and hole size. I get 5-6 inches on a 5 cent piece!. The only bad part is it looks like a weapon and excites law enforcement!. I contacted Detector Pro and they told me I could paint it and I wont loose the warranty. And take my word for it dont use the holster! Keep it in your tool bag or back pack!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread