The big trip is finally going to happen.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The last piece of the puzzle will be arriving this week, of all the things I have bought for this major trip this is the most important. First I bought the Smitty built overlander tent, what is that,it is a tent system that fits on top of your SUV and folds out on top of your car and accessed by a ladder. What is the game changer, a new type of food cooler, it is actually a low powerd refridgerator and only draws 6 amps, at 12 volts. 58 qrts. and it will take something at 55 degress down to -4 degrees in 15 minutes and it will run off my solar panels plus it is smart and will not drain your car battery. No Ice needed. Cold Beer always.

Upvote 13

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
the overlander tent is interesting. but seems impractical in that if you want to use the
vehicle for any reason, you have to pack up camp. any link to the cooler?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going that route with a cooler why not a 12v freezer like ARB, Dometic or Whynter? Make ice and use that in a cooler and use that your "fridge". Cuts down on resupply runs a lot. Has the same or better amp usage in most cases. Can be run off a 150w panel with a good battery We use to do that all the time with my 63q Whynter

Last edited:
OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the overlander tent is interesting. but seems impractical in that if you want to use the
vehicle for any reason, you have to pack up camp. any link to the cooler?
It only takes less then 15 mins to refold the tent and less to open it up, there are some great vidios of the tent system, as for the cooler it is the AUTOOMMO sold by Amazon. 299 is what I paid for it. It is a smart cooler and it will not drain your car battery. It has a freezer compartment and a regulare cold compartment and at only ways lest than 10lbs.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Any pics of it set up on top of your rig?

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are going that route with a cooler why not a 12v freezer like ARB, Dometic or Whynter? Make ice and use that in a cooler and as that your "fridge. Curs down on resupply runs a lot. Has the same or better amp usage in most cases. Can be run off a 150w panel with a good battery We use to do that all the time with my 63q Whynter
You can't drink frozen Beer, LOL

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the tent
th.jpg

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best beer I ever drank was after driving down to my first claim on the Salmon river Ca. near Solmes Bar, it took just 14 hours to get there , the trip was enlightning , who would have thought that when following the Klamath river you would run into Kamakazy squirrels , why do these creatures run out in front of you, it was a slaughter, they had no chance, the road was extremely curvy, I survived they didn't. After following the Klamath river down to Solmes Bar where my turn off was for the Oak Bottom campground there was blockade there because there was forest fire 5 miles up the road, I was let threw and made it up to my campsite. I set up my ground tent and then went down to river to scope out my claim and ran into a group of people camped down there, they had bought a claim there too. This was ounce a GPAA claim, 80 acers but was divided into 8 ten acer claims, I got the one that was the hardest to get too up river. After going back to my tent I ejoyed several ice cold beer's and dinner . The next day I went up to my claim, it was 104 out and heavy smoke but I found nice gold and a nice water fall, shower time, it was awesome. As I made it down river I talked to the campers mining there claim and they had not found any gold, interesting these people had very expensive campers. I did give them some suggestions but I decided I was going home the next morning .

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best beer I ever drank was after driving down to my first claim on the Salmon river Ca. near Solmes Bar, it took just 14 hours to get there , the trip was enlightning , who would have thought that when following the Klamath river you would run into Kamakazy squirrels , why do these creatures run out in front of you, it was a slaughter, they had no chance, the road was extremely curvy, I survived they didn't. After following the Klamath river down to Solmes Bar where my turn off was for the Oak Bottom campground there was blockade there because there was forest fire 5 miles up the road, I was let threw and made it up to my campsite. I set up my ground tent and then went down to river to scope out my claim and ran into a group of people camped down there, they had bought a claim there too. This was ounce a GPAA claim, 80 acers but was divided into 8 ten acer claims, I got the one that was the hardest to get too up river. After going back to my tent I ejoyed several ice cold beer's and dinner . The next day I went up to my claim, it was 104 out and heavy smoke but I found nice gold and a nice water fall, shower time, it was awesome. As I made it down river I talked to the campers mining there claim and they had not found any gold, interesting these people had very expensive campers. I did give them some suggestions but I decided I was going home the next morning .
Smokey summertime on the river is the best! There is probably 3” of standing frost there right now. Doubt the sun hits there much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread