What's new

The cent Tri-century hunt

McCDig

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2015
Messages
3,753
Reaction score
9,039
Golden Thread
1
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Left work by 1:30 and headed to the city for a few hours in "The Park". Little did I know what today's hunt would bring. As usual, there was the variety from a fired musket ball, to an R. Armfield patent button from the 19th century, a Sterling crucifix, a watch-winder, and then, the "find of the day", a copper coin that I thought was British, but turns out to be a Vermont cent from 1787, the Britannia variety; to complete the cent tri-century came a 1950 wheat, followed by an 1865 IHP. My finds at this Baltimore city park have pushed back to within 6 years of when Cornwallis surrended at Yorktown!
Finds.webptri-century_cents.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 32
Congrats on the sweet trifecta McCDig. :occasion14: I dream of someday breaking into the 1700's club.
 
Hey L-D. Great to hear from you. It was quite a day and likely not to be repeated.
 
U kiddin wow Great finds every post just about has a button involved I think there was major button issues in the old days. Great finds
 
Thanks Tommy. That's what I was saying too... "you've gotta be kiddin'me!".
 
Hey L-D. Great to hear from you. It was quite a day and likely not to be repeated.

You got that right, tri-century trifectas are rare.
 
Thanks Casper. The crucifix was a two-part dig. At first the cross was evident, but then a second response to the pinpointer located the figure of Jesus. I stopped searching the hole after that. When I got home and cleaned the two, I noticed that the small sign bearing the Latin acronym "INRI" (Iēsus Nazarēnus, Rēx Iūdaeōrum - Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews) is missing. I'll have to re-check the hole to see if I can locate this very small piece.
 
Love finding those little Indians!.....wonder if treasure hunters after us will find Memorials exciting?....
 
Very nice McCdig. I like that Vermont Cent.
 
Congrats on the trifecta. There is a lot of history in the old parks of Baltimore.
 
One thing worse than recovering a "deep" memorial, is a deep pulltab. Finding a deep wheat is better, but, I agree, I'm partial to Indians.
 
Thanks Trezurehunter. It held up well. Looks like those Vermont minters knew what they were about.
 
" My finds at this Baltimore city park have pushed back to within 6 years of when Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown!"

We just don't have that kinda history in very many places here in Arkansas. Beautifully long & fruitful timeline.
Congrats!!
 
Thanks Joe. Hearing your perspective shows me what a privilege I have in having such a large, generational park to hunt here in Baltimore.
 
Here's a close-up of the Vermont copper found 19Feb2016.
I'd hunted this area before, just happened to hear it this time around.
Vermont Copper.webp
 
Awesome VT copper in exceptional shape!!! Love the watch winder too. You did very well. HH!
 
Now that's cool! Spanning the years! Congrats , that Vermont looks great, HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom