What's new

The Common Issue of a Corrupted Display

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
3,716
Reaction score
1,504
Golden Thread
0
Location
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Deus II/HF2, Manticore, E-Trac, Excalibur II, V3i, Pro-Find 40, Vibra-Probe 585, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. My CTX has a variable number of lines on the screen, presently only one mid-right. It has also gone gray scale which required a factory reset that fixed the color. I know I can send it in for replacement, but I imagine it will happen again in time. I've read that Minelab hasn't "fixed" the issue permanently. Love the detector, but, with the Manticore, I probably won't be using it much unless I need to document find locations, etc., for whatever reason. I'm thinking of selling it for the going rate minus $300 or so.

It's usable as is, but it could go south while hunting so confidence is low.

What would you do?
 

Attachments

  • CTX_1.webp
    CTX_1.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 104
Has it ever sat in your vehicle when not in use for any length of time? I tested a few at kellyco repair center that were defective returns by leaving them in a vehicle and found high heat from being left in a hot vehicle for hours caused LCD issues like that. Not saying that happen to you, only that exposure to high hear can cause LCD leakage.
 
Has it ever sit in your vehicle when not in use for any length of time? I tested a few at kellyco repair center that were defective returns by leaving them in a vehicle and found high heat from being left in a hot vehicle for hours caused LCD issues like that. Not saying that happen to you, only that exposure to high hear can cause LCD leakage.
Not really ... I try to never do that. I did fly with it once to Wyoming and I thought the pressure differential may have been involved - started happening after that trip - could have been temperatures in the cargo bay or even the airport facilities as well I guess. Thank you for the insight!
 
Not really ... I try to never do that. I did fly with it once to Wyoming and I thought the pressure differential may have been involved - started happening after that trip - could have been temperatures in the cargo bay or even the airport facilities as well I guess. Thank you for the insight!
Usually most cargo holes have some ac, but not when sitting on runways. Very hot or very cold temp can affect LCDs.
 
FYI: The repair was < $200. I was told that there are two models for the CTX in terms of display - the first, like mine, has 3 ribbon cables for the display, the newer version has one. They did say that the issue is with the LCD, not the cables. When they run out of the original, discontinued, displays one would have to also get a new circuit board to handle the new display which would add to the cost.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom