The day after finding the wide file cabinet and old lockbox...

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the 4-drawer wide file cabinet and the strongbox were found last weekend setting next to a dumpster, I went back Sunday. It's the end of the month and someone must clearing out and leaving their storage bay.

I found in the same "Lockbox" Treasure Dumpster, more interesting finds. Items, again, more of history and past lifetimes than of great worth....

First, setting against the back of the large metal container, I found two "new" old stock tires wrapped with clear, yellowed, crumbling and brittle wide cellophane tape with a aged paper I.D. ring of paper. Each unused tire had a unique look, the once very dressy WIDE whitewall and stamped "Firestone" tires. Are they worth anything? Needing a good brush-washing, the tires probably are too old to use, but should cleanup maybe for someone having an old wheel or wheel-size hubcaps for a "man cave" or garage sale....

Also, a late 1940's-1950's ham radio made from a large kit type.... an individual transmitter and a receiver unit that used vacuum tubes in their day.

The first pictures are of the auto window air conditioner from the 1950-60's. With some dusty surface rust, it appears to be in good enough condition to be filled with water and used. There is a cotton cord with a knot in the end that is still soft and flexible. It all works, by pulling it, a slight spring tension is felt as it originally rotated a wire drum cover with a "swamp cooler air conditioner straw pad". It gets wet in the water-filled tank. When the knotted cord is let go, a spring spins back the straw pad for a second dip....

Attachments

• IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1606.JPG
    IMG_1606.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 179

DBANDGB

Jan 19, 2011
heath springs,sc
The tires are cool. What size are they and do they have a date code on the inside. Like you said they are to old for use. The first thing you have are called a swamp cooler. They hung on the passenger side window, Some guys look for them as an antique.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds and effort. :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool old finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
save those tire for some building a old show car and that cooler is worth some money.
cool finds brad

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DBANDGB,

I believe the tires are 8.50 X 16, tube type. Where would I look for the Mfg. date?

Thanks,
Bill

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be surprised to find out that those tires might still be good to use for a Sunday driver or as an exposed spare tire. The big clue is the size. Find out which vehicles used that size of rim and go from there. Many of my mid 1960's Cadillacs still sport original white-walls that i drive around daily without issue. I don't go on the freeway so im not pushing them but i haven't had a problem yet. NOS vintage tires are very desirable to the right buyer.

1932 Fords used 16" rims so start looking there. I would guess that other manufacturers used similar sizes but the width will tell you if its for a car or truck. If you want to clean them, try some Black Magic "Bleche White" Its pretty nasty stuff but a few sprays of that will pretty much make any grime and dirt just vanish, leaving them white as snow.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some cool stuff this last weekend Ill post once I go through it all . Thanks to all your cool posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread