Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear what you're saying. Many many times, I've often thought about purchasing a tejon, Vaquero, or a Mojave. Especially after countless reports, on this forum and Finds forum, of success stories.
But I just can't get my head straight on buying a MD without a screen. Only took up this hobby six months ago, and having a screen to help me figure out what to dig, or what's in the dirt, is too much to give up. Like giving up cruise control or back up camera on my vehicles.

Yes, I understand the logic of "beep & dig", but I feel like the DeLeon is a beep & dig MD, since it's a Tesoro product. It just happens to have a VID screen. To this newbee, VID just makes sense.
Of course I do recognize that the DeLeon can't compete with the Tejon or perhaps a couple of others, when you're talking about depth. But I also know that I'm a coin and jewelry hunter only, no relics. I just don't see how it could get any better than a Deleon down to 8 inches.

Wow........kind of got carried away, huh guys?

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out detecting in 88 with a beep and dig Garrett .... I learned what that "sweet sound " was using that machine ... Now I use an X Terra 505 and use the screen to a certain degree , but not very much .... I think a person should use a beep and dig detector for a while , to learn that sweet sound .....
I have a Deleon coming , and can't wait to use it ... If not for such a good deal , I would not have bought a Tesoro with the screen , since I was dead set on getting another beep and dig ...... Too much information can entice you to pass some good targets ..IMHO
I have had several machines since that first one , all with screens , and was planning on going back to beep and dig as my second machine , in case of break downs .... I do expect the Deleon to discriminate better than the 505 , but I hunt in all metal most of the time , so if I can eliminate some trash targets with the Deleon and not give up too much depth , I think it will be great for my hunting spots...

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"The DeLeon experience."
Congratulations. I hope your experiences are as fruitful and positive, as mine. I'm betting it will.

Unsolicited advice: The Deleon doesn't lie often. If the confidence bar is not full, and the numbers jump over 2 numbers, it's trash. Wiggles can mean it's on edge. Wiggles and a solid 95, digum.
Nickels? Best of luck. It will find them, but you must dig pull tabs. 32 -35, usually a nickle.
Dimes at 95, always accurate. Copper and zink pennies, always spot on.
Rings at 95.
Even though it's a single tone MD, there are many sounds. You're learn them in time. Merge these tones with the numbers, and suddenly you find yourself digging less trash.

Can't wait to read your first report.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a turn on and go Tesoro with no screen, and my f75 with a million different setup configurations. There is something gratifying about listening for those "round" tones and digging not knowing what you're unearthing.

However, I feel my Fisher having a VDI readout just gives me one more tool on top of the sounds to make the call on to dig or not to dig. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy my dig and beep machine every so often.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that sometime in my future, I'm gonna own a Mojave or even a Compadre. I just know I will.
Why not. Life time warranty. Oh, and from what I read, these two just happen to find treasures.
Curiosity would be a big reason, too.
They are very lightweight. Important as I ramble toward eighty.

Hey, sorry about the unsolicited advice. It's obvious you don't need my help, but I WILL need to call upon your vast experience, at some point.
My learning curve was made much easier with the likes of Stoofs and Bibelot, Terry S, Monte, and others.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since this seems to be the Deleon thread , for the moment ..............I have a question about changing coils ... If I decide to buy a smaller or larger coil for my Deleon ,, do I have to send it in and have it calibrated ???? thanks for good information !!!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since this seems to be the Deleon thread , for the moment ..............I have a question about changing coils ... If I decide to buy a smaller or larger coil for my Deleon ,, do I have to send it in and have it calibrated ???? thanks for good information !!!

As long as the coils are Tesoro Deleon coils, no. It would be highly unusual for them to not work properly. I have ordered two. And they perform perfectly.

Last edited:

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you say Deleon coils , Vern , do you mean any Tesoro epsilom coil ????

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Epsilon. You are correct. Widescreen and concentric 5 pin coils. I have been told twice by Tesoro reps that a concentric would be their choice on a Deleon.

They both stated that it would very unusual to have to tune these specific coils.
So far so good.
Soon, I'm going to pull the trigger on the 8" brown donut coil. From comments I have read here, it's a super duper coil for the D.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
brown or white..

..Soon, I'm going to pull the trigger on the 8" brown donut coil. From comments I have read here, it's a super duper coil for the D.

Vern, they came in white too. There was an older one in white that'll work; I think it looks like the current 10½ Tesoro water detector coils (but was 8"), and there's the white one that comes with the Outlaw. I just bought one of those white ones for my 5 pin machines.
Thought I'd mention it, just in case you'd prefer an 8" concentric in white...(not that there's anything wrong with brown..) :icon_sunny:

IMG_0802.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I speck I do like the white better.

Thanks for the heads up.

buckeyesilver

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon
Teknetics Patriot
Tesoro Cutlass 2
Deteknix pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, this is my first comment on this forum. I found this thread very interesting as I have had my Deleon for about 3 weeks now. I am not new to detecting or to Tesoro detectors but I would have to agree with all of the positive comments about the Deleon that I just read. I have owned many Tesoro machines along with other brands in the past and would put the Deleon right up there when it comes to producing good finds.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buckeye, welcome to this forum. Always, happy when another DeLeon owner pipes up.
The D flies under the radar most of the time.

Keep talking. Ease of use. VID accuracy. No chatter. It's all good.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that sometime in my future, I'm gonna own a Mojave or even a Compadre. I just know I will.
Why not. Life time warranty. Oh, and from what I read, these two just happen to find treasures.
Curiosity would be a big reason, too.
They are very lightweight. Important as I ramble toward eighty.

Hey, sorry about the unsolicited advice. It's obvious you don't need my help, but I WILL need to call upon your vast experience, at some point.
My learning curve was made much easier with the likes of Stoofs and Bibelot, Terry S, Monte, and others.

If you're directing this towards myself there is no need to apologize about anything. I just like to reach out and listen to what others have to say about their machines, and share my thoughts as well. As for my experience in the hobby.....it's not that much in terms of years. A little in my teen years, and now back in the game for nearly a year. So glad I got back into it!

buckeyesilver

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon
Teknetics Patriot
Tesoro Cutlass 2
Deteknix pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, a great machine. It reminds me of the Fisher CZ series (also great) minus the weight and love for iron. I put off buying one due to mixed reviews online but I have already found some deep coins with it. In fact, just the other day I found a 1887 V nickel that was below my plug with two old square nails mixed in and likely masking it. This was in a old school yard that I have hunted MANY times. The same day, I found a linked style silver ring that read in the low 80's. I dig all solid tones that do not smear on the VDI scale. I'm still learning the machine but so far I'm liking the results.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After buying and selling five other machines since January, there's one characteristic of the Deleon that stands out, above the others.

The control knobs. Very simplistic. Increase or decrease, on the fly, without hesitation.
I am guessing this is old school. I've read comments stating Tesoro is old school, perhaps in the dark ages.
Lordy Lordy, I hope they never find the light.

Now a DeLeon with a beach mode would be nice. Or should I say "beach knob".

buckeyesilver

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon
Teknetics Patriot
Tesoro Cutlass 2
Deteknix pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. I have gone through my share of machines as well. Some were expensive and some not so much but the Deleon just seems to have that special combination of analog tone followed by digital display that seems to give me a better sense of confidence as to what the target might be. This year, I bought and sold my F75 ltd, then the F70, then the x-terra 705, then the AT Pro, etc. I won't be selling the Deleon though. The only feature I would really want back is the backlit screen.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buckeye, that's an impressive list of machines that you no longer own. Especially the F75

The only one I sold that would maybe be considered a competitor of the D, was a Teknetics Gamma 6000. While it was a very nice MD, with ground grab, and notching, it just couldn't compete with the DeLeon. IMHO. Too many bells and whistles. Too much to do.

I sold it to my brother and he loves it. But he has never hunted with a DeLeon or any other detector, except an Ace 200.

I give a lot of attention to the black confidence bar on the D. If the screen shows a full bar, a solid 95, and a med high tone, then you know you better dig your treasure. If any of these 3 are off even slightly, then you have a decision to make.
I still dig most of the time out of curiosity. I really like a squiggle line wit a solid number like a 32, cause you can bet it's a nickle.

buckeyesilver

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon
Teknetics Patriot
Tesoro Cutlass 2
Deteknix pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm actually still paying for that F75 which was bought using a payment plan online. It was very nice looking and all but just not for me I guess. It was just to hyper. I sold it and bought the F70, which was less frustrating but I didn't find it to be much better than the Eurotek Pro from a price to performance perspective. The AT Pro was a birthday gift from my brother. It was actually a pretty nice machine but not that great in the nickel range with the VDI at depth like the Deleon and Fisher CZ's are. The x-terra 705 was nice but I just felt like I was digging only the sure thing targets with it. The Deleon display just seems more trustworthy to me and makes me want to dig those iffy signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread