MVC-372F.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 449
  • MVC-373F.JPG
    MVC-373F.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 435
  • MVC-374F.JPG
    MVC-374F.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 417
He decided to let the T-111 weather to match the logs. It's very tight and energy efficient, the low utility prices are icing on the cake. (living in the next county, I pay through the nose)

Wanted to MD the cellar, but we had snow, mud, etc., and had to get it finished.

A couple more pics when I return.... a detectorist's dream, coming up Monday or Tuesday. :wink:

I shouldn't make promises I may not be able to keep (about the new pics of MD'ing sites). The work took all my time, had to stay an extra day to get the water well going.

Tried to MD in the garden, but the dew fell and soaked my detector before I was able to try it. I left it in the 105 degree attic while I was in there plumbing so it would dry out. I know I dried out, woke up in the night with screaming leg cramps.

So anyway, in lieu of pics of my MD sites, here's a pic of my Uncle's outhouse:

Attachments

• Redneck ATM yellow sign.jpg
    Redneck ATM yellow sign.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 375
Excavator, Gosh...

I'm sorry, but allowing wood to weather is allowing it to degenerate.

It's just NOT a good thing.

The wood of a growing tree is protected by it's bark from the elements.
Once the tree lives it's lifespan, it begins to break down and rot.
Surface coatings serve the purpose of protection from the elements and extending their useful life.

Oh well,
I'm sure he'll find out!

Best,
rmptr

Paint, or some type of treatment, would sure help. But I don't recall seeing many painted outhouses. And, weathered barn siding was all the rage not long ago. With rough cut lumber, most people just don't paint. The wood is so rough, the paint just soaks in.

The logs on the house have been bare since 1879, but I would agree, the T-111 should have been treated in some way. I'll have to ask him, he may have planned to let it turn gray, then treat it. ??? I know he wanted the T-111 to weather like the logs.

Ok, I finally made time to get a pic or two of one of my MD sites, I've yet to have MD time. Going to be this Fall maybe. Spent the week of the Fourth, but played with the Grandkids every day. Priorities!

Hard to photograph through the foilage, this Church was built from 1895-1896, back when churches had two front doors, one for men, the other for women.

Attachments

• Beulah built 1895 sign.JPG
    Beulah built 1895 sign.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Beulah Church door.JPG
    Beulah Church door.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 285
  • Beulah Church side.JPG
    Beulah Church side.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 280
  • Beulah Church.JPG
    Beulah Church.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 283
Thanks, mg. I should have held the camera up to some windows. The floor is said to be gone, or unsafe, but I can see all the lights and the pulpit are intact. Almost looks ready for a service, but I think someone made a deal on the pews and took them away.

I can't wait to MD around there. There used to be an outhouse somewhere near the big tree. I went to summer Bible School there one week when I was a kid, back in the early 60s., and played my trumpet there. (the Pastor's wife's reaction made me laugh so hard I could barely play...ya just had to be there) I'm not sure when the last service was held there. But I do remember...

Our farmhouse is the next house down from the church. One morning a wedding was held at the church. Two women in the ceremony got into a knock-down drag-out fight, ripping their gowns off. They immediately hugged and made up, then proceeded walking home down the road past our house, in their petticoats. :wink: ;D :o

LoL!

That's funny, Excavator...

Must be Irish, huh? Out brawlin' in the dirt at the church...

Here on the left coast the bangers sometimes take the opportunity of a funeral or wedding for a drive-by...

You never know what's gonna happen next!

I guess they took the term, 'Holy Roller' literally. :D

Woo hoo! They just cut the hay where the logging camp bunkhouse used to be. Can't wait to MD there. Suppose they dropped anything?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back