What's new

Vegetable Garden

Isn’t there usually a U-joint in between? Something to fail other than expensive splines?
 
I grow vegetables and Fruit
Here is a Bumblebee on my Plum blossoms.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250511-085308~2.webp
    Screenshot_20250511-085308~2.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 73
It came found to actually the amount of use, make, cost.
Mig + bottle $2000+13%tax.
Granted I can hire out to get my welding down, but now I can repair everything under 3/8" with this set up.
I have a Lincoln ARC welder for heavy-duty stuff.
Good to know that you've had good luck with the Hobart.
Thanks
Now a days I have my MIG welder and my Miller AC/DC TIG welder for alum. and stainless steel . It's not getting much use currently due to my old body and age BUT it's there when I need it ! :coffee2:
 
Isn’t there usually a U-joint in between? Something to fail other than expensive splines?
I got the tractor in, took the front off the loader. Got the pump and shaft out.
The shaft looks like a 12 inch 3/4" extension.
The splines on the end that connects to the motor side are stripped. The pump end is pretty well toasted as well.
Not looking good for the repair end.
Cessna pump = obsolete = aftermarket and the price is crazy.
(US price/exchange/tax/tarriffs/duties)
Then the shaft, and probably the part that bolts onto the motor.
Start calling the tractor bone yards
 
Besides the tractor loader pump news.
I managed to use the skidsteer to load the dump truck.
Got 5 loads of pretty good looking stuff transferred over to the new composting/staging area.
I decided on the area for the Asparagus patch. So I put the forks on the skidsteer and ripped up the sod.
Tomorrow I'll remove it and start bringing in the soils.

20250511_180611.webp
 
I can't believe it's Thursday already 😳
Trying to plant asparagus and getting curve balls thrown at me.

Update on what's happened/happening in the garden saga.

2nd bucket of soil to be loaded the hydraulic pump in the 5000 spun the shaft splines off.

Yes a problem.
Got the skidsteer mired down in the garden.

Though it was the last bucket of sod removel.
I used the skidsteer forks to plow up the sod
20250512_103316.webp

I managed to get the skidsteer out of the area. Wife pulled with the Tundra trick worked.
20250513_180404.webp


So I got the soil bed in place, and trenched it 70ft yesterday. Planted 50 live root asparagus plants. Watered it down 10 hrs of loading, spreading, tilling, trenching planting, refilling.
20250513_184148.webp
20250514_132115.webp

20250514_190409.webp

Screenshot_20250515_082541_Chrome.webp

I ran out of day, energy so tomorrow I will check depth over the crowns. Add a topping if necessary.
The fill looks kind of strange as it's a mix of black earth, compost, perlite, sand, peat moss. Good drainage for the plants.
 
Dang pepper, always hate fixing stuff and fussing when I'm trying to get some work done. Looks like you got it under control though
 
Dang pepper, always hate fixing stuff and fussing when I'm trying to get some work done. Looks like you got it under control though
Funny how things break when we're in the process of doing something always.
 
We've had 3 whole days without rain now. So it's finally back in the garden and the asparagus is up now. 6" straws is the tallest but they're growing.
Starting the planting and transplanting of basil, tomatoes, peppers along side of the asparagus.
20250527_183415.webp


I did a raised bed for the different kales, and a few varieties of cabbage. I planted all the onions around the area also.
20250528_160744.webp


Yesterday I stripped off the sod in a 80'x35' section and piled it up. This morning I hualed 8 dump truck loads to the composting area.
This will be the new hoop house location.

20250527_182714.webp

Put in some egg plants, and cucumber plants on the trellis area.
Got both sides of a 40' trellis planted with Cranberry beans. The out further I planted a freezer Peas. I run another 3-5 chicken wire trellis for those plants.
20250528_164352.webp


Rain till middle of the day Tomorrow so not sure what will get planted or tilled.
 
I put 4 varieties of Long day Onion plants, I purchased at Menards 2 weeks ago.
In a 4 inch trench, I laid a row of Coop poop, Chicken manure, then covered it with drip edge, to keep the rain from washing it away.
The Onions have one side in the food, and one side out.. So far so good.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20250529_064914556.webp
    IMG_20250529_064914556.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20250529_064856565.webp
    IMG_20250529_064856565.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
I put 4 varieties of Long day Onion plants, I purchased at Menards 2 weeks ago.
In a 4 inch trench, I laid a row of Coop poop, Chicken manure, then covered it with drip edge, to keep the rain from washing it away.
The Onions have one side in the food, and one side out.. So far so good.
They're growing really well, nicely done. 👌
What's the row besides the onions?
 
They're growing really well, nicely done. 👌
What's the row besides the onions?
Raddish, and Kohlrabi that isn't thinned much.
 
Yesterday I started covering my Haskaps.
The 6.5x100 meter bird netting arrived.
2 structures will be done, 160 ft long, 7 ft wide, 6.5 high.
38 Tbar posts, 20 ft spacing, support wire running around the perimeter, then across the 7ft section every 20ft.
So that will take 750ft of wire.
Then I will run another heavier wire through the netting along the edge seam. This will help keep the netting close to the ground.
So thats another 640 ft of wire.
The Haskaps are ripening so thus protection is vital.
The wildlife, especially birds love the fruit.

Got some tweaking to do yet on the run.

20250607_202440.webp
 
Yesterday I started covering my Haskaps.
The 6.5x100 meter bird netting arrived.
2 structures will be done, 160 ft long, 7 ft wide, 6.5 high.
38 Tbar posts, 20 ft spacing, support wire running around the perimeter, then across the 7ft section every 20ft.
So that will take 750ft of wire.
Then I will run another heavier wire through the netting along the edge seam. This will help keep the netting close to the ground.
So thats another 640 ft of wire.
The Haskaps are ripening so thus protection is vital.
The wildlife, especially birds love the fruit.

Got some tweaking to do yet on the run.

View attachment 2211793
I netted my Blueberries and Raspberries, and cought a lot of birds feet.
I tried Scarecrows last year, with success.
Im gonna get some cheap Mannequins this year.
I have Peaches and Plums to protect also .
 
What ground paper are you using? How well does it work and how long does it last? The weed barrier we use (for landscaping, not usually the garden) doesn't look like that and honestly doesn't work all that great. It seems like things that let water through also let the weeds through.
I noticed my black fabric in 2 years broke down considerably. Bad choice for us as we were trying to keep it as organic as possible. So Beware. If this microplastic pollution bugs you like it bugs me use the paper Pepper suggested that's a great choice.
 
I netted my Blueberries and Raspberries, and cought a lot of birds feet.
I tried Scarecrows last year, with success.
Im gonna get some cheap Mannequins this year.
I have Peaches and Plums to protect also .
I know another grower that have huge Haskap bushes. They use a black bird netting.
"We need to go in the morning and release all the birds that are caught "under the netting "
How do they get under the netting?

"They crawl under it."

I had the white netting protection last year.
Not one bird caught or trapped.
The plants out grew the size of the netting.

Though last night ut was a catch and release program with the dragon flies. 🤣
 
I know another grower that have huge Haskap bushes. They use a black bird netting.
"We need to go in the morning and release all the birds that are caught "under the netting "
How do they get under the netting?

"They crawl under it."

I had the white netting protection last year.
Not one bird caught or trapped.
The plants out grew the size of the netting.

Though last night ut was a catch and release program with the dragon flies. 🤣
It takes 8 game wardens to confiscate a pet grey squirrel over here. Probably have a cow over a bird in the net!
 
I netted my Blueberries and Raspberries, and cought a lot of birds feet.
I tried Scarecrows last year, with success.
Im gonna get some cheap Mannequins this year.
I have Peaches and Plums to protect also .
I go with a heavier thickers netting and have far less problems with birds. Make sure it reaches the ground and throw some rocks or sticks on the extra fabric so the birds can't get under
 
I noticed my black fabric in 2 years broke down considerably. Bad choice for us as we were trying to keep it as organic as possible. So Beware. If this microplastic pollution bugs you like it bugs me use the paper Pepper suggested that's a great choice.
That stuff is a pain, and uv eats it for lunch. Even worse, if you cover it with mulch, the mulch breaks down into soil and the weeds grow on top of the fabric. Roots grow into the fabric and it becomes a pain to pull
 
Anyone else use Surround WP?
It's starting to rain, the Potato bugs are getting ready to eat. They can't eat it dry.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20250608_175809831.webp
    IMG_20250608_175809831.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom