Scott (Mich)
Sr. Member
The composition of our coins may be changing, I am not sure when, but I think it will be soon.
Quote
“Legislation has been introduced to allow the Treasury secretary to change the composition of American coinage, and to allow public participation in the process.
Where the compositions of the dime, quarter and half dollar were primarily dealt with in 1965, the new legislation seems to promise to deal with every denomination, cent through dollar coin…..
Is a sweeping change that would exceed the Coinage Act of 1965 in scope about to be authorized by Congress, or is the Treasury’s proposal just an enabling measure that opens the door to making compositional changes as necessary? We will soon find out.”
That little snippet came from here: http://www.numismaticnews.net/Default.aspx?tabid=1739#4642Articles
What we may be seeing is that our grandchildren that will be CRH-ing will be looking for our common clad coins among their modern (Plastic plated? Steel plated?) coins.
It is funny (in a sad way) to think that future generations will be looking for the copper/clad stripe when checking over coin rolls.
I just hope that they do not use steel as the base – it will make metal detecting for them really hard as I usually discriminate out steel.
If the mint had only made the clad coins no so obvious in 1965 I think we would be finding a lot more silver in circulation. The general public would not have noticed the change and hoarded as much as they did. Maybe the mint will learn with this go-around. It seems they did with the cent in 1982.
Happy Hunting
Scott (Mid-Mich)
Quote
“Legislation has been introduced to allow the Treasury secretary to change the composition of American coinage, and to allow public participation in the process.
Where the compositions of the dime, quarter and half dollar were primarily dealt with in 1965, the new legislation seems to promise to deal with every denomination, cent through dollar coin…..
Is a sweeping change that would exceed the Coinage Act of 1965 in scope about to be authorized by Congress, or is the Treasury’s proposal just an enabling measure that opens the door to making compositional changes as necessary? We will soon find out.”
That little snippet came from here: http://www.numismaticnews.net/Default.aspx?tabid=1739#4642Articles
What we may be seeing is that our grandchildren that will be CRH-ing will be looking for our common clad coins among their modern (Plastic plated? Steel plated?) coins.
It is funny (in a sad way) to think that future generations will be looking for the copper/clad stripe when checking over coin rolls.
I just hope that they do not use steel as the base – it will make metal detecting for them really hard as I usually discriminate out steel.
If the mint had only made the clad coins no so obvious in 1965 I think we would be finding a lot more silver in circulation. The general public would not have noticed the change and hoarded as much as they did. Maybe the mint will learn with this go-around. It seems they did with the cent in 1982.
Happy Hunting
Scott (Mid-Mich)
Upvote
0








