The Giving Beach gives up some more silver, including my first Franklin Half Dollar!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to The Giving Beach (yeah, I named it) today to see what it wanted me to take home this time. As you'll see in the pics below, I had plenty of targets, and it took me about two hours before I came across a small section of the beach which had a few older coins. (This section moves frequently, so it's always fun to work the shore until I find it.) I came up with another 1935 Buffalo nickel in pretty good shape, three silver coins, and a few wheat pennies (although I don't know the dates of the pennies yet, as I haven't cleaned them.) The silvers included a 1957 Roosevelt dime, a 1942 Mercury dime, and a 1952 Franklin half dollar. This is my first half dollar found metal detecting, so I was pretty excited! Below are the before and after pics for the coins I did clean. As you'll see, the beach was unkind to the silver coins, but I love them anyway! Thanks for looking and may your next adventure bring you something that makes you smile!

All Finds.jpg

1935 Buffalo Nickel Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
1935 Buffalo Nickel Obverse Post-cleaning.jpg

1935 Buffalo Nickel Reverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
1935 Buffalo Nickel Reverse Post-cleaning.jpg

1957 Dime Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
1957 Dime Obverse Post-cleaning.jpg

1942 Dime Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
1942 Dime Obverse Post-cleaning.jpg

1952 Half Dollar Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
1952 Half Dollar Obverse Post-cleaning.jpg

1952 Half Dollar Reverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
1952 Half Dollar Reverse Post-cleaning.jpg

Upvote 32
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, that certainly was a beach hunt to remember for quite some time. Congrats on your first silver half,

Thank you so much! It was certainly fun!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the old coins! :icon_thumleft:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds! :icon_thumleft: A Buffalo, a Rosey, a Merc, and a Ben! Very nice!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done looks like you found a ship wreck wowza

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds! :icon_thumleft: A Buffalo, a Rosey, a Merc, and a Ben! Very nice!

Thanks! The Franklin was the highlight, but literally every Buffalo nickel I've found detecting has come off of this beach!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done looks like you found a ship wreck wowza

Thanks Tommy! It's an interesting area of beach for sure, as it tends to deposit items from the same couple of decades in small areas. I'll be back as long as it wants to keep giving me little treasures!

RelicMaster777

Jul 8, 2018
Gold Cost Long Island n.y. Fema region II
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Equinox 800
Equinox600
Makro Multi Kruzer
Garret ATpro
Garret ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Your beach looks like mine really old and sometime it gives and sometime it doesn't and it's really hard on the silver. They come out gray or purple and really pitted. But then again they have been in the sand and salt water for many years. Congrats on the first Franklin I have yet to find a silver half. But I know I will one day..lol..Cheers

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Your beach looks like mine really old and sometime it gives and sometime it doesn't and it's really hard on the silver. They come out gray or purple and really pitted. But then again they have been in the sand and salt water for many years. Congrats on the first Franklin I have yet to find a silver half. But I know I will one day..lol..Cheers

Thanks and you are correct. I've pulled silver from other beaches and the coins weren't nearly as damaged, but this beach has given more up than any other I hunt. You'll get your Franklin half soon enough, though!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on all your silver finds from the beach Tommy! :occasion14:

It's nice to see some older coins being found in your area.

Dave

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done you crushed it! Congrats on Big Ben I don't see many of those recovered.

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on all your silver finds from the beach Tommy! :occasion14:

It's nice to see some older coins being found in your area.

Dave

Thank you, Dave!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done you crushed it! Congrats on Big Ben I don't see many of those recovered.

Thanks! It was the deepest coin I dug that day, which makes sense due to its weight. Hopefully I'll find some more silver when I go back in a week or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread