UNDISCOVERED REV WAR BRITISH CAMP AND MORE!

HessianHunter

Jul 24, 2016
Massachusettss
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some friends and I spent the last 4 days dedicated to detecting. We started off by returning to one of the sites that I posted about earlier on here. I recovered two more trimes and a large cent (trime count for the year 11). My friend scored a beautiful 1844 half dime at that site and a wiped half real. Our other friend had some difficulties with his detector and therefore couldn't detect anything really. Later that night we hit a cellar hole and squeaked out a few 18th century relics. The next day we got a permission to look for a 19th century site. While out looking for it I came across a melted piece of lead, while it could be dismissed as something common I slowed down and started to hunt the area a little more, my friends were walking past me trying to see if we could find the site we originally were trying to find. My next target was a very large dropped musket ball. With that I knew that something was going on and that it was possible that I was on some sort of camp. I called out to one of my friends and told him of the musket ball, he still didn't think much of it. The next target was absolutely jaw dropping... I dug down after receiving a lower tone to find a pewter button. I turned it over and the number 34 was staring back at me. I started screaming to my friend. I was a damn near perfect 34th regiment of foot button! Our other friend was way ahead and I called him. He came running back and we all began searching the area, soon popped up a british officer's neck stock buckle, knee buckle, shoe buckle, musketballs and A LOT of shotgun shells and modern brass cartridges. Oh, there were also some mid 1900s items including a turn of the century coin spill which produced two canadian silver quarters, 1907 barber dime, a few indian head pennies and a v nickel. Things seemed to slow down and then my friend got a 21st regiment of foot button! All the buttons that were coming out were pewter and in excellent condition. The ground was good and dry. I walked past him to an area I hadn't tried and got a screaming signal. Thoughts were racing through my head, I was thinking, maybe it could be a cartridge box plate or something! Out of the hole was a solid brass hanger sword pommel. Either dropped by a british or german soldier. The same friend who dug the 21st button called me back over. He had a very similar signal about a foot from where he dug the 21st button. He dug the hole and out came another button. I was expecting it to be another 21st button but instead it was a 9th regiment of foot button! Things then got quiet as the three of us continued searching, many more shotgun shells, bullets and junk later and the sun began set. It was nearly dark and my friend who scored the 21st and 9th of foot button got a screaming signal. It was loud but not terribly big. I was thinking maybe it would be a copper. What greeted us was not a copper but instead a 2 real from 1773! It was now dark and we called it a day, we were exhausted and hungry.

The next day we went looking for some other good areas. The only site that I could keep my mind on was the rev war camp. We found a few things at the other sites but they were not nearly as good as we thought and therefore returned to the British camp. Out on what we believe was the edge of the camp we began digging. First thing I got was a flowery cuff link. Our friend who dug a shoe buckle but no buttons discovered something amazing, a solid brass side plate to a brown bess musket with an inspector's mark, a number four below a crown! We were even more excited and continued to search more and more. To make things short a few more odds and ends were found. Our friend who found no buttons the first day.... Well, he ended up finding a great section in the camp and dug four regimental buttons! 34, 34, 34, 53. I got a like one or two non military buttons and some other odds and ends including a shield nickel. It was getting dark again, my friend who dug the 2 real found a brass stirrup piece and as we were getting ready to leave dug an 1875 seated liberty quarter and not far from it a civil war token. Our friend who dug the four regimental buttons got a nice two cent piece. I got a decent signal as we were leaving and to my surprise was an extremely worn 1840 seated liberty dime.

Absolutely one of the most craziest sites ever. We are all still in shock.

The 4 day detecting adventure wasn't over. Our friend who dug the four regimentals buttons had to fly home the next day and we had to find some more sites for us to hit. I had a cellar hole or two in mind that may produce so that was our plan for the next day. The next morning we all met up and headed to the first site. We parked along the road where there was a river. The water was pretty high and we just couldn't seem to find a way to cross by walking across on the rocks so we waded through with shoes tied together slung over our shoulders. On the other side we made the walk up the hill. We started to see stone walls and knew we were close. After a short while we were at the site and we all began detecting. It was extremely quiet, not much iron either. First target I dug was a impacted musket ball. Another one was found by my friend. Really not much at the cellar. A few buttons. Then in a depression which looked like a path leading to the cellar I got a higher tone. I was thinking maybe something like a king george copper. To my surprise it wasn't a copper but a 1786 half real. We spent about 15 more min at the site until we decided to try our luck at the others. We again had to cross the treacherous river getting wet once again. We got back in the truck, drove to the site and walked out. As expected this one was hammered, we managed a few buttons. After a short hunt we walked to the next site thinking maybe we would have better luck. It was right off what looked like a trail so we didn't have much hope. A lot of iron nails in the ground. To my surprise I got a decent copper signal and dug a pretty toasted but identifiable woods hibernia. No non ferrous sites around the cellar so we decided to try the fringes where we had much more lucks, a few buttons, my friend scored a complete shoe buckle (shown with the non rev war relics below the stand). We had to go home now and bring our friend to the airport. One the way put my friend who got the shoe buckle got a toasted copper. At home we took a picture of our rev war finds (shown on the stand) while all of our other finds were below.

The past 4 days were some of the best days of metal detecting ever. I am so grateful to have found these incredible items and great friends to hunt with. Happy Hunting to all!
hunt6.jpg hunt5.jpg hunt4.jpg hunt2.jpg hunt3.jpg hunt1.jpg

Upvote 65

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a crazy site and stuff dreams are made of. Congratulations, I’m sure even more great stuff should come out of there.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those recoveries are just amazing! Big congratulations!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super buttons and a great variety of finds! You just gave me my insensitive to do a few hours today.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that's an amazing hunt! I would be as excited finding an untouched Revolutionary War camp as a Confederate camp. Of course where I live that's never gonna happen, so I'll just have to be content with Confederate.lol I would check that area out really good. Could be more small camps clustered close-by.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
This is absolutely the stuff that dreams are made of, at least for us crazy metal detector types. This gives hope that we all might find one of those undiscovered sites some day. They are out there to be found, it just takes a lot of time and luck to find one. Congrats on some awesome finds.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Awesome post, enjoyed the play by play. Incredible history you recovered and great times had by you and your friends. Huge congrats!

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys killed it! I especially like the brass side plate...I have found pieces of them but never one complete. Solid.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some friends and I spent the last 4 days dedicated to detecting. We started off by returning to one of the sites that I posted about earlier on here. I recovered two more trimes and a large cent (trime count for the year 11). My friend scored a beautiful 1844 half dime at that site and a wiped half real. Our other friend had some difficulties with his detector and therefore couldn't detect anything really. Later that night we hit a cellar hole and squeaked out a few 18th century relics. The next day we got a permission to look for a 19th century site. While out looking for it I came across a melted piece of lead, while it could be dismissed as something common I slowed down and started to hunt the area a little more, my friends were walking past me trying to see if we could find the site we originally were trying to find. My next target was a very large dropped musket ball. With that I knew that something was going on and that it was possible that I was on some sort of camp. I called out to one of my friends and told him of the musket ball, he still didn't think much of it. The next target was absolutely jaw dropping... I dug down after receiving a lower tone to find a pewter button. I turned it over and the number 34 was staring back at me. I started screaming to my friend. I was a damn near perfect 34th regiment of foot button! Our other friend was way ahead and I called him. He came running back and we all began searching the area, soon popped up a british officer's neck stock buckle, knee buckle, shoe buckle, musketballs and A LOT of shotgun shells and modern brass cartridges. Oh, there were also some mid 1900s items including a turn of the century coin spill which produced two canadian silver quarters, 1907 barber dime, a few indian head pennies and a v nickel. Things seemed to slow down and then my friend got a 21st regiment of foot button! All the buttons that were coming out were pewter and in excellent condition. The ground was good and dry. I walked past him to an area I hadn't tried and got a screaming signal. Thoughts were racing through my head, I was thinking, maybe it could be a cartridge box plate or something! Out of the hole was a solid brass hanger sword pommel. Either dropped by a british or german soldier. The same friend who dug the 21st button called me back over. He had a very similar signal about a foot from where he dug the 21st button. He dug the hole and out came another button. I was expecting it to be another 21st button but instead it was a 9th regiment of foot button! Things then got quiet as the three of us continued searching, many more shotgun shells, bullets and junk later and the sun began set. It was nearly dark and my friend who scored the 21st and 9th of foot button got a screaming signal. It was loud but not terribly big. I was thinking maybe it would be a copper. What greeted us was not a copper but instead a 2 real from 1773! It was now dark and we called it a day, we were exhausted and hungry.

The next day we went looking for some other good areas. The only site that I could keep my mind on was the rev war camp. We found a few things at the other sites but they were not nearly as good as we thought and therefore returned to the British camp. Out on what we believe was the edge of the camp we began digging. First thing I got was a flowery cuff link. Our friend who dug a shoe buckle but no buttons discovered something amazing, a solid brass side plate to a brown bess musket with an inspector's mark, a number four below a crown! We were even more excited and continued to search more and more. To make things short a few more odds and ends were found. Our friend who found no buttons the first day.... Well, he ended up finding a great section in the camp and dug four regimental buttons! 34, 34, 34, 53. I got a like one or two non military buttons and some other odds and ends including a shield nickel. It was getting dark again, my friend who dug the 2 real found a brass stirrup piece and as we were getting ready to leave dug an 1875 seated liberty quarter and not far from it a civil war token. Our friend who dug the four regimental buttons got a nice two cent piece. I got a decent signal as we were leaving and to my surprise was an extremely worn 1840 seated liberty dime.

Absolutely one of the most craziest sites ever. We are all still in shock.

The 4 day detecting adventure wasn't over. Our friend who dug the four regimentals buttons had to fly home the next day and we had to find some more sites for us to hit. I had a cellar hole or two in mind that may produce so that was our plan for the next day. The next morning we all met up and headed to the first site. We parked along the road where there was a river. The water was pretty high and we just couldn't seem to find a way to cross by walking across on the rocks so we waded through with shoes tied together slung over our shoulders. On the other side we made the walk up the hill. We started to see stone walls and knew we were close. After a short while we were at the site and we all began detecting. It was extremely quiet, not much iron either. First target I dug was a impacted musket ball. Another one was found by my friend. Really not much at the cellar. A few buttons. Then in a depression which looked like a path leading to the cellar I got a higher tone. I was thinking maybe something like a king george copper. To my surprise it wasn't a copper but a 1786 half real. We spent about 15 more min at the site until we decided to try our luck at the others. We again had to cross the treacherous river getting wet once again. We got back in the truck, drove to the site and walked out. As expected this one was hammered, we managed a few buttons. After a short hunt we walked to the next site thinking maybe we would have better luck. It was right off what looked like a trail so we didn't have much hope. A lot of iron nails in the ground. To my surprise I got a decent copper signal and dug a pretty toasted but identifiable woods hibernia. No non ferrous sites around the cellar so we decided to try the fringes where we had much more lucks, a few buttons, my friend scored a complete shoe buckle (shown with the non rev war relics below the stand). We had to go home now and bring our friend to the airport. One the way put my friend who got the shoe buckle got a toasted copper. At home we took a picture of our rev war finds (shown on the stand) while all of our other finds were below.

The past 4 days were some of the best days of metal detecting ever. I am so grateful to have found these incredible items and great friends to hunt with. Happy Hunting to all!
View attachment 1635804 View attachment 1635805 View attachment 1635806 View attachment 1635807 View attachment 1635808 View attachment 1635809

Thanks for the great story! I live in Boston and have yet to find anything that could be directly tied to the revolution.... I know there is stuff here... somewhere! Nice finds!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, bet that was a fun hunt. My question is, if that is a REV site, how is all that more "modern" stuff there as well? Could it have been a common camping place for a while?

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is one of the best hunts ever. Congrats on all the great finds.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding hunt! You have really been on a roll this year.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the buttons!

OP
OP
HessianHunter

HessianHunter

Jul 24, 2016
Massachusettss
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, bet that was a fun hunt. My question is, if that is a REV site, how is all that more "modern" stuff there as well? Could it have been a common camping place for a while?

Most likely it was grown over and used by hunters. Also could have been a picnic area or something later on which would explain the mid-late 1800s coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread