the great deception of swift

rebel there is many faults in atleast 5 states most are not on maps if you find one it is worth investagating . i have found many do not depend on geoligist they will look and give you an opionion that is worthless unless they do a thourgh investigation there opionion is worthless

I posted a day or two ago that the geology from Campton eastward was much the same . The thing of it is we have an extra layer and in place two extra. About 20 vertical ft. from the top of the ridge is a layer with marble size pebbles from when this was all covered by water. It's not every where just under the highest knobs. And what is on the knobs in the Campton area is half way between creek and ridge in Paintsville area. Haven't studied the area south of Paintsville much but I figure as the hills get higher there's a good chance there will be more extra layers.

I live in Pikeville, and I haven’t seen it here. I do know the rocks change as you travel towards Paintsville, and as you travel up rt80 towards Knott county. I know what you’re talking about, whatever seam user that thick sandstone seam is a lot softer. There seem to be a lot of rock shelters along that line too.

Over near Rocky Gap, Virginia where Interstate 77 ran through it, you can see the stone layers run perpendicular to the ground. This shows there was some kind of plate collision that upended the strata of rock. Rock layers usually run horizonal not perpendicular? Silver was also found in this rock line as it neared Tazewell, Va. As silver dollars were counterfeited in the area. This is the same rock formations that run into Pine Mountain and on into Kentucky. I do believe there is silver seams out there to find but one has to put foot where no one has been and look where no one has thought to look. Just my opinion. It is just like buried gold. You try to get permission on someone's land they will immediately say "Oh I do not believe there is anything on my land. No gold here." But when you dig under the soil there is thousands even millions of dollars just under the surface. It does not take a big place to get a lot of treasure. Just get out there and find it.

I once asked for permission to metal detect this spot, and while I was there, the neighbors stood and watched. Finally at one point I hit on something under this small rock ledge. Turned out to be an old mason jar lid and broken glass. Thought I’d found an old coin bank. It was empty. I covered it back up. The next day when I returned, someone had dug it back up and left the empty hole. I know there was nothing there, but I also knew who did it. After that, I learned not to do all the work for others... same as now, there is a film crew filming about Swift. I was going to reach out early on, but I felt like I’d be doing all the work, and having someone else come in later and take all the work away from me. That’s why it’s hard for me to share information. But if anyone has any questions about their areas, or maybe needs some help, I am willing to help with the research, but the legwork is all yours unless you want the help.

Matt

I live in Pikeville, and I haven’t seen it here. I do know the rocks change as you travel towards Paintsville, and as you travel up rt80 towards Knott county. I know what you’re talking about, whatever seam user that thick sandstone seam is a lot softer. There seem to be a lot of rock shelters along that line too.

just done a study on the geology south of Paintsville, The layer with mable size pebbles and the Princess layer runs out about the Betsy Lane area. Found one or two spots where it is just on top of a high knob or two south of there. Seems the layers under it is much thicker in the Pikeville area, South of Betsy Lane.

I hear what you're saying about doing leg work for other people.

Last edited:
just done a study on the geology south of Paintsville, The layer with mable size pebbles and the Princess layer runs out about the Betsy Lane area. Found one or two spots where it is just on top of a high knob or two south of there. Seems the layers under it is much thicker in the Pikeville area, South of Betsy Lane.

If you look on Google Earth you will see that Pikeville is enclosed by a river encircling it just like Swift said where they left the horses and pack mules.

I once asked for permission to metal detect this spot, and while I was there, the neighbors stood and watched. Finally at one point I hit on something under this small rock ledge. Turned out to be an old mason jar lid and broken glass. Thought I’d found an old coin bank. It was empty. I covered it back up. The next day when I returned, someone had dug it back up and left the empty hole. I know there was nothing there, but I also knew who did it. After that, I learned not to do all the work for others... same as now, there is a film crew filming about Swift. I was going to reach out early on, but I felt like I’d be doing all the work, and having someone else come in later and take all the work away from me. That’s why it’s hard for me to share information. But if anyone has any questions about their areas, or maybe needs some help, I am willing to help with the research, but the legwork is all yours unless you want the help.

Matt

Swiftfan, I do the same. I tell a lot of research to help others but I will not give the hard earned secret away. I also do not want to do anymore TV Crap for here and there and gone companies that are only out to make themselves money. Nothing in it for me. If they help me recover one of the large treasures where I know they are then I may talk to them but only under stiff contracts.

Over near Rocky Gap, Virginia where Interstate 77 ran through it, you can see the stone layers run perpendicular to the ground. This shows there was some kind of plate collision that upended the strata of rock. Rock layers usually run horizonal not perpendicular? Silver was also found in this rock line as it neared Tazewell, Va. As silver dollars were counterfeited in the area. This is the same rock formations that run into Pine Mountain and on into Kentucky. I do believe there is silver seams out there to find but one has to put foot where no one has been and look where no one has thought to look. Just my opinion. It is just like buried gold. You try to get permission on someone's land they will immediately say "Oh I do not believe there is anything on my land. No gold here." But when you dig under the soil there is thousands even millions of dollars just under the surface. It does not take a big place to get a lot of treasure. Just get out there and find it.

Most people done want to get out of the comfort of home anymore, air conditioning and electronics and TV. Let alone digging in dirt or rock.

Most people done want to get out of the comfort of home anymore, air conditioning and electronics and TV. Let alone digging in dirt or rock.

I have driven my car from near the North Carolina line to Paintsville and search for two or three hours and then drive back home the same day. A wreck once caused the drive back home to be over ten hours. I have also driven to Washington, Ga. searched for treasure and return home the same day. If you can not put the effort in the search give it up.

A High Knob is where two longhunters found silver ore during a snow storm before the Battle of King's Mountain. Read it in Draper Manuscripts or Google "Longhunters" William Pittman and Henry Skaggs

Last edited:
I have driven my car from near the North Carolina line to Paintsville and search for two or three hours and then drive back home the same day. A wreck once caused the drive back home to be over ten hours. I have also driven to Washington, Ga. searched for treasure and return home the same day. If you can not put the effort in the search give it up.

Obviously you're not one of the people I was referring to.

There is a large slip thrust fault that runs near parallel to the Va./ Ky border from Tenn. to Elkhorn City and probably on into Va.. The Blueridge Mtn. to Ky. is all effected by that fault line I'm sure.

That fault line should be represented on a map? I would follow the map's fault line towards WVa and the Tazewell, Virginia area. I know there is silver in those mountains. I have seen it when I was a youngster but I did not know what it was. As I remember I was on the south direction side of the mountain. But where I do not know as I covered all the mountains in the Southern WVA into Virginia and Kentucky everything within 50 miles or more in both directions.

I believe the rock shelters/houses are formed from the softer sandstone eroding quicker than the harder ones, same process as many of the natural arches are formed.

If you look on Google Earth you will see that Pikeville is enclosed by a river encircling it just like Swift said where they left the horses and pack mules.

...And I read that part differently, as a circle of cliffs that they used grape vines to close the animals in with? <<shrug>>

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back