''The Hill'' - Day 4 - 2 Hammered & Very Rare Roman Coin?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Continued what will turn out to be a mega grid of 'The Hill', by far the largest area we have tried to cover. Just to see if there is much on the lower slopes.
We gridded for 5 hrs 15 mins in really mild conditions & managed to miss the rain today.
Surface conditions were pretty dry considering the recent rain & perfect for spotting any newly washed flints.

10 Roman Coins - 1 of Carausius which is not in any of our books & can't find one on the www. (Will update from our British Museum contact soon)UPDATE:
''Your coin confirms its original type, but of course your coin is the only complete example.''

The largest & heaviest Padlock I have ever dug
2 Tudor Strap-ends
Neolithic Flint
Part of a Lead Cloth Seal
Lead Token
Jetton
14th C Buckle
Medieval Leather Mount
3 Roman Brooches
2 Saxon Strap-Ends
Bit of a 6th C Saxon Brooch
Saxon Pin-head
2 Hammered - 1 OK of Ed I, Bury St Edmund Mint

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

'

Last edited:
Upvote 28

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Continued what will turn out to be a mega grid of 'The Hill', by far the largest area we have tried to cover. Just to see if there is much on the lower slopes.
We gridded for 5 hrs 15 mins in really mild conditions & managed to miss the rain today.
Surface conditions were pretty dry considering the recent rain & perfect for spotting any newly washed flints.

10 Roman Coins - 1 of Carausius which is not in any of our books & can't find one on the www. (Will update from our British Museum contact soon)
2 Tudor Strap-ends
Neolithic Flint
Lead Token
Jetton
14th C Buckle
Medieval Leather Mount
3 Roman Brooches
2 Saxon Strap-Ends
Saxon Pin-head

View attachment 2056955 View attachment 2056956 View attachment 2056957 View attachment 2056958 View attachment 2056959 View attachment 2056960 View attachment 2056961 View attachment 2056962 View attachment 2056963 View attachment 2056964
Congrats on another killer day Crusader, love that lock that's a great relic! Oldest stuff I can ever hope to find here is late 1600s so hoping to get a complete spectacle buckle someday, anyway keep it coming!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was surely another killer day! I'm absolutely in love with the trumpet brooch. So rare to get an enameled one! At least for us here. Seem to be more popular in Britannica. Let us know when you get news about that Carausius bronze.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was surely another killer day! I'm absolutely in love with the trumpet brooch. So rare to get an enameled one! At least for us here. Seem to be more popular in Britannica. Let us know when you get news about that Carausius bronze.
We get a few trupet brooches but not many with enamel left.
Hopefully our contact will reply quickly & I can update this post. I don't want to over egg it, but I think it may turn out to be Extremely Rare.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

10 Roman Coins - 1 of Carausius which is not in any of our books & can't find one on the www. (Will update from our British Museum contact soon)
2 Tudor Strap-ends
Neolithic Flint
Lead Token
Jetton
14th C Buckle
Medieval Leather Mount
3 Roman Brooches
2 Saxon Strap-Ends
Saxon Pin-head

View attachment 2056955 View attachment 2056956 View attachment 2056957 View attachment 2056958 View attachment 2056959 View attachment 2056960 View attachment 2056961 View attachment 2056962 View attachment 2056963 View attachment 2056964
So Awesome!!! What it must be like saving relics and Gorgeous coins of that Era!!!
Congrats!!!! What dreams are made of!!!

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
Very interesting Carausius to say the least!

Seems to be based on Probus's reverse showing Sol in his celestial chariot. Can make out --NS AVGGG reverse. Oriens a possability.

If you can make out the obverse & more of the reverse letting in part or full, please let me know. You've got something there boy!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
What wonderful finds, as usual for you. I'm thinking it must be exhausting digging all the holes. Or do you have assistants?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the Roman turns out to be a rare example, at least you found one in pretty decent condition.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting Carausius to say the least!

Seems to be based on Probus's reverse showing Sol in his celestial chariot. Can make out --NS AVGGG reverse. Oriens a possability.

If you can make out the obverse & more of the reverse letting in part or full, please let me know. You've got something there boy!
You came to the same conclusion, that reverse type* seems to be only used by Probus, not found any reference that it was used by Carausius.
*but 'if Sol' is the Quadriga driver he is holding a globe in the hand that normally has a whip.
In hand Cru'dad can read the Obverse Legend;
''IMP C CARAVSIVS PF AVG''

The AVGGG part shows it's during the period that he considers himself equal with the other 2 Rulers. (I may have explained that wrong, trying to remember what Cru'dad told me last night)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What wonderful finds, as usual for you. I'm thinking it must be exhausting digging all the holes. Or do you have assistants?
My recovery time for targets is 30 seconds or less (beep to pouch), with no getting on our knees. This is an important part of gridding large areas. No pin-pointer, which would slow you down & not found an 'assistant' that could be any quicker.:thumbsup: (Speed & too much energy is my main secret weapons)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the Roman turns out to be a rare example, at least you found one in pretty decent condition.
Very true, most from here are very scrappy! (we had the same thought)

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done once again, and getting the different Roman is great.
Just wondering on these 2 pieces-buckles?
Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 5.41.47 AM.png

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both 14th C types, one is usual in that it still has it's iron pin, often replaced with copper types.
Thanks
Mine has the 4 knobs and it was recorded as 1250-1400, so it fits in the time line.
The pin on mine seems fragile (thin)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:
I've never known the British Museum Coin Department to reply so quick & at the weekend! (in about 16 hrs!)

''Good to hear from you. I hope you are well.
This is a very important coin โ€“ yes, please can it be recorded.
Is it possible to get a really good image with diameter?
If you send me all the information I will get it onto the Database and give it the full works in the Description Box.
Thanks so much for letting me know.''

They never like to give attributions until it's in their hand & on the PAS. However, we will try & provide better pictures & hopefully get their full ID soon.......

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Every post is such an amazing walk through history that so few will ever get to experience.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE (from British Museum):

''Copper alloy radiate of Carausius (AD 286-93) (Reece Period 14), [ORI]ENS AVGGG, Sol standing facing, head left, in facing quadriga, raising right hand and holding globe in left. Mint of London, - // MLXXI. RIC V, pt 2, - This coin confirms a type only known from a rubbing in a Mike Vosper catalogue for which the reverse legend was unclear (RIchard Bourne in Numismatic Circular, Dec 2004, p. 378, Fig. 3, after Mike Vosper, Fixed Price List 80, Sept-Oct 1999, no. 49). It therefore provides complete evidence for this new type.
Coin identified and recorded with image kindly supplied by the Finder.''

I've asked for clarify, but it seems fairly clear that our coin, the only known provenanced (GPS) example confirms a new type. (Only seen once before as a rubbing!)
Therefore, this is now our 2nd Carausius that is the 2nd one known of it's type.:occasion14:(UPDATE: ''Your coin confirms its original type, but of course your coin is the only complete example.'')
I think it may have just missed being published in a new book focussed on Carausius!

PS Gets more interesting, see below only overstruck example & recent reply;
2213b Reverse 61A Spink Dec 2004 p 378 fig 3 24mm rev.jpg

''The previous specimen had been overstruck with another type (of Salus with S P in field) so was only partially visible. Your piece is only MLXXI.
Your coin confirms its original type, but of course your coin is the only complete example."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread