''The Hill'' - Day 7 - Hammered, 2 SAXON SCEATS & a Copper STYCA!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some rain today but nothing too bad, so got on with the job of the mega grid. We were meant to be going into a previously recorded blank area, but the finds beg to differ, with the deep plough our best friend this year. Plus thanks to the farmer who leaves it perfectly flat but doesn't plan to drill until Spring.8-)
Cru'dad got a Sceat on the first run & not to be out done I got an imitation one on the next run. At one point Cru'dad shouted over '"Another outstanding day?!'" I replied "yes, because we are outstanding in our field". :thumbsup:

5 Hours of pure joy;

8 Scrappies (1 holed)
18th C 'Rev War' Marines Button
Lead Token
17th C Token
Medieval Buckle
Medieval Lead Seal Matrix
Lead Cloth Seal
6th C Saxon Brooch
Saxon Strap-end
Saxon Clothes Hasp
Ancient Awl
Bit of a Roman Military Buckle
Broken Hammered Penny
Saxon Sceat (Imitation Series K)
Sceat of King Aethelred of Mercia AD674-704
(good example)
I got my first ever Saxon Northumberland Stycas (Still needs full ID, but something I thought near impossible as we are 200 miles from the Kingdom!)

Can this continue?!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 40
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Further UPDATE:

I've asked which Northumberland King the Styca might be imitating, I think it 'may' be Eanred AD810-841. Answer;
''Impossible to say for sure, but probably Aethelred II.'' (Circa AD840s)

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some rain today but nothing too bad, so got on with the job of the mega grid. We were meant to be going into a previously recorded blank area, but the finds beg to differ, with the deep plough our best friend this year. Plus thanks to the farmer who leaves it perfectly flat but doesn't plan to drill until Spring.8-)
Cru'dad got a Sceat on the first run & not to be out done I got an imitation one on the next run. At one point Cru'dad shouted over '"Another outstanding day?!'" I replied "yes, because we are outstanding in our field". :thumbsup:

5 Hours of pure joy;

8 Scrappies (1 holed)
18th C 'Rev War' Marines Button
Lead Token
17th C Token
Medieval Buckle
Medieval Lead Seal Matrix
Lead Cloth Seal
6th C Saxon Brooch
Saxon Strap-end
Saxon Clothes Hasp
Ancient Awl
Bit of a Roman Military Buckle
Broken Hammered Penny
Saxon Sceat (Imitation Series K)
Sceat of King Aethelred of Mercia AD674-704
(good example)
I got my first ever Saxon Northumberland Stycas (Still needs full ID, but something I thought near impossible as we are 200 miles from the Kingdom!)

Can this continue?!

View attachment 2058388 View attachment 2058389 View attachment 2058390 View attachment 2058391 View attachment 2058392 View attachment 2058393 View attachment 2058394 View attachment 2058395
that Awl is so cool, really liking that spunback button second from left top, coins are killer of course. Hopefully you have been getting some rain/moisture on a regular basis. Take care.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that Awl is so cool, really liking that spunback button second from left top, coins are killer of course. Hopefully you have been getting some rain/moisture on a regular basis. Take care.
Cheers, & we are getting plenty of rain, so signals singing out.

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations to you both. What is the thing with the crown and two hearts? I like that. Which one is the styca? Last two pics , bottom left? Is that it?
The thing with the crown and two hearts is what's left of a silver cufflink. First made to commemorate King Charles II marriage to Catherine of Braganza in the 1660's. I dug an intact one with both end pieces in South Carolina of all places. From what I read about the cufflinks, they were in style and worn into the early 1700's.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing with the crown and two hearts is what's left of a silver cufflink. First made to commemorate King Charles II marriage to Catherine of Braganza in the 1660's. I dug an intact one with both end pieces in South Carolina of all places. From what I read about the cufflinks, they were in style and worn into the early 1700's.
There is a lot of mis-information about these. Mine is a copper-alloy & not the silver version & was a 2 piece construction, which placed it & others (through association of design) in the mid-18th C earliest. The CII connection is a Red Herrin, unless it was to celebrate 100 years later ie. 1760.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I recall reading that thread, vaguely.

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of mis-information about these. Mine is a copper-alloy & not the silver version & was a 2 piece construction, which placed it & others (through association of design) in the mid-18th C earliest. The CII connection is a Red Herrin, unless it was to celebrate 100 years later ie. 1760.
interesting! Mine is silver, no doubt.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff as always

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting! Mine is silver, no doubt.
Yeap, the silver ones also mirror the 18th C cuff-link types. The earliest cuff-links were the Stuart Crystal types & NOT these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread