Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Hvae you ever gone after any of the ones you post here?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope , not my locations

Clave

Sep 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone actively working this and wants help?

timex

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on Long Island, and I spent over 20 years going up on weekends to Callicoon NY.
85-2002.

Derrick & Judy who ran the Dairy Cream, on RT-17B Under the RT-97 overpass.
That's where you made the turn to head up to Villa Roma.

Big Al Kaufman, owned nearly half the town, with the Freada Family owning the other half.

Would canoe from Callicoon down to Skinners Falls at least once a month.

One night after drinking way to much, coming back from Long Eddy, got pulled over on RT-97 2am one morning by Louie Alvarez.
Who kindly drove me home.

Anyway, I never heard about this tale of Nazi Gold, and I heard more than my fair share.

I'm interested, anybody have some more detail?

thanks, tim

Last edited:

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I just heard about this possible treasure hunt and I'm game. If anyone wants to team up send me an email message and we can talk. Like I said I just came across this treasure hunt, so I don't have any information to add yet but I will start my studying now.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not believe the story at all. But, go for it. Liberty is small town and should be search for jewel and single coins and for other buried treasures. Maybe if the story is true, the treasure is paper money. Good hunting and good luck.

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an odd story. But I’m game! Live in Ithaca. Starting looking into it the other day. Believe I have some clues solved

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE CLUES TO HILLIG'S TREASURE

The arch if the roots is by your boots.

She is as beautiful as her closest sister, who once left Skeetersburg.

William Ayers mourned Liberty's first death.

The fish won't bite at the Western part but begin the hunt, its OK to start.

'Foul wrinkled witch, what makes thou in my sight?'

Blue Mountain Cemetery looks over Otto's treasure.

Broadhead Points to.

Dr. Blake Wales knew it as two log houses.

Lucky me, I'm in the Queen's back yard. If you can't find me, you haven't looked hard.

The Lennon Building holds a clue.

Grady's horse kicked the spot.

The coin is in the open.

Liberty Public Service was there in my time.

From the inside of Manion's Store the Mongaup will roar.

Mr. Manion's home plate.

Ugly Acer rubrum on the rade, then 30 paces and you will have in made. Turn to the right if going at, turn to the left if walking back.

The municipal corner is basically nutty.

What once was Hortonville, now is not.

You are very close at number one, the plague is a spot which you should plot, go in and eat, and count the feet, from there to here, let's have a beer.

The lens of my camera has revealed the spot.

Now in its place is a restaurant which has food that is fine. Descramble the words on the bar and you will be one step closer to being the star.

As you pass by behold and see in a restaurant across from the old 'Big G.' My works live on and hold a clue to find the coin now known to you. Enjoy the food and have a ball, examine all the pictures on the wall.

O Tsuga Canadensis, protect me!

This is it, you have all the clues. If you do find me call the news. Fred will know what to do, he the treasure to give to you.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff do you happen to have the clipping of the original Democrat article?

no sorry !

Only thing I can find on Hillig is this

The midland journal. (Rising Sun, Md.), 10 July 1931.

Otto.jpg
hillig.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...llig&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Last edited:

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think now after looking into this for a few days I need to validate some historical facts. Why Nazi spy’s wanted to blow up the bridge? Why these spy’s had a large amount of cash?

I’ve emailed a Cornell University professor who area of specialty is ww2 era Germany and politics.

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing back from the professor yet, didn’t think I’d get timely response.
According to things I’ve read it wasn’t unheard of for Nazi spy’s to be here and for the capture of said spy’s to be kept hush hush.
There once was a railroad going though liberty that has been abandoned now.
I believe that the guns that would have been shipped from upstate New York may have been from the Ithaca Gun Company. Now to find out if they would have been shipped train to a port and which port.
If anyone knows of any other upstate New York gun makers during this time please say something.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to things I’ve read it wasn’t unheard of for Nazi spy’s to be here and for the capture of said spy’s to be kept hush hush.
I believe that the guns that would have been shipped from upstate New York may have been from the Ithaca Gun Company. Now to find out if they would have been shipped train to a port and which port.
If anyone knows of any other upstate New York gun makers during this time please say something.

Years ago I heard/read several Stories of Nazis & Nazi Gold in the Poconos & into New York.
including a story of a Nazi Cache in an Abandoned & grown Wild Auto Salvage Yard.

Can't remember where, but I'm pretty Confident it was Pre-Computer age for me.

as far as the Nazi's I think
as a teen (late 60's, early 70's) I heard Mention on the news
of one or More Nazi's Being Arrested in the Poconos
over the years .
and sent for Prosecution :(
I remember thinking these guys look 100 & in wheel chairs, one on a Gurney.
who they gonna Hurt now , that they rush to put them Jail, Trial and to death before the word Natural Causes ends up on their Death Certificate. :dontknow:
But That's off topic & Political. so.
But anyway
I would Love to be able to Find the News Stories & trace their Homes

Last edited:

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other gun manufacturer in NY other than Ithaca gun company is Remington Arms company. Remington was actually started in 1816. 64 years before Ithaca.
I have a shotguns from both of these companies. The remington shotgun I have was made in 1939.
Sounds like an interesting puzzle. I have only been to Liberty once and very briefly. I love the Catskills but since moving from Binghamton to the western fingerlakes it would be a 3.5 hour drive for me.

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely right I forgot about Remington and if traveling by train those guns would have crossed though liberty on way to port as well. So now I believe that part of the story has some feet to stand on. Thank you Johunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread