The Long Learning Curve Leads to Two Nice Coins

mrmastadon

Jul 1, 2020
NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a recent convert to the incredible world of metal detecting. Sometime in 2020, sitting around bored at home like so many of us, I decided to pull the trigger on a new toy and bought an Equinox 600. I read up as much as I could on the machine, watched any relevant Youtube videos I could find, and began following several of the online message boards. With every awesome find by my fellow detectorists, I grew more and more addicted myself. By the end of the year, it seemed I had done reasonably well: just over $100 in clad, one 14K wedding band, and a handful of post-1900 silver coins.

But the really old stuff was still eluding me. I continued to read and asked a few questions. Several members on this board chimed in with invaluable advice -- their generosity one of the many things I've appreciated so much about this hobby the more I've gotten into it. I started listening more to the machine, started digging some deeper and more questionable targets, started interrogating targets longer and from more angles. In the new year, I also decided to get serious about site selection. I pored over old maps, marked sites, did recon when I had a little time to spare. What they say is true: metal detecting is work, and the more energy you put into it, the more you are likely to get out.

Within the last two weeks, I'm thrilled to say that all the legwork and well over 1000 hours with the machine finally paid off. Poking around in park woods about 20 minutes from my house (with very little else in the way of signals) the detector suddenly went off with a *loud* 21-22. The pinpointer screamed at me. Surely a bottle cap... but you know, what the heck, let's see. Out of the ground came what certainly appeared to be a coin, though it was too obscured by caked-on dirt to confirm anything at the time. I brought it home and carefully cleaned it, and was finally rewarded with a really-nice looking 1865 two-cent piece -- my oldest coin!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. But today I went out again to a different spot, another site that appeared to be the general location of a old homesite. Lots of iron in the ground. A good omen, but a total PITA trying to sift through the constant machine-gun grunting of the detector. About 45 minutes in, I hit a really jumpy 28-34, four bars down. There was some grunt to it as well, but I could get a decent tone in two directions, so I dug. Large Cent! My first, and now certainly my oldest coin. It's pretty trashed from the soil and there's not a chance of getting a date off of it, but I'm delighted anyway.

Apologies for the long story, but I wanted to post it as an inspiration to any detectorists that might have recently gotten into the hobby and who might be feeling frustrated or feeling like everyone else finds the good stuff. The treasure is very much out there, perseverance truly pays off, and at the end of the day if you're enjoying a little exercise and being out the fresh air, that's all that matters.

Photos of the two coins are attached. And since it's my first one, I'm actually not sure which type of large cent this is... so people smarter than me, please chime in!

Happy hunting to all!
-Andrew

Attachments

• 20210130_220256 (1).jpg
    20210130_220256 (1).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210130_220316 (1).jpg
    20210130_220316 (1).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210202_203853 (1).jpg
    20210202_203853 (1).jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210202_203821 (1).jpg
    20210202_203821 (1).jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 36

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice! Looks like a Matron (1816-1839). Huge congrats on the two cent piece! That is one BEAUTIFUL coin.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds. That 2 center is in great shape. Congrats!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, very inspiring to the new guys out there and that 2 cent coin is magnifi"CENT" the patina on it is awesome.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Encouraging post. Your large cent looks like the one I just bought yesterday.

IMG_0397.jpg

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post, thanks. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Patience, educating yourself, and putting the time in are all a major part of this hobby. It reminded me of how I got started myself. I used to lay around on weekend mornings before the rest of the family was out of bed. I'd watch Aquachigger, Hoover Boys, and Quarter Hoarder on YouTube etc...then I finally figured out that I was watching them do something that I could do myself, and there you go. The rest is history, and I have no plans on stopping anytime soon. Thanks again-AND KEEP POSTING-

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats on the oldies tough coins to find even for an experienced hunter.

You put the time in and now you are being rewarded. Most people don't want to put the time and work into it.

Takes more than buying a top of the line machine to find treasure. Lots of things factor in to having a productive hunt.

The more you hunt the better you get.

Best of luck in 2021.

Jer

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 2 cent piece!! Your story sounds very similar to mine. Like you I bought an Equinox 600 last year. And like you all I seemed to be finding were clad coins. But after doing as you did, a little map research I've started finding some silver and nice relics. Tnet is a great, informative site but the one negative is that it makes detecting look easier than it really is. It takes lots of searching and digging to find that one heart racing find that motivates you to keep looking.

Last edited:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see that all your perseverance has paid off! Hopefully the flood gates are open!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T-Net mrmastadon! Those are a couple of very nice coins. The 2 center is quite lovely. They are very high on my list of most favorite coins to find. Keep the posts coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread