The lost goose egg mine

nickinCA

Apr 15, 2009
A man named sailor jack didnt know a thing about mining but when he came into the california gold rush he was determined to strike it rich. he decided to try his luck at newtown in el dorado county. The day he got there some more expierenced miners decided to pursuade him to get a claim on where they knew there was no gold. But it turns out sailor jack did discover another valuable spot right on that claim and it has since been known as the one spot mine.
An unnamed miner after the discovery of the one spot mine was prospecting up the hill when he came across another valuable deposit. He carried all the gold he could before returning to camp but when he went back up to mine his discovery again he couldnt find the location and it has since been known as the The Lost Goose Egg mine. It is somewhere north of newtown in the vicinity of goooseneck ravine.

Anyway if the mine really exists than i actually live really close by so i was just wondering if anyone had heard of it and had any more info. I know the lost treasure magizine wrote an article on it but i havent read it yet. Thanks.

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Hi Nick,

If you got the story from the EDC (El Dorado County) Website or Mountain Democrat then I likely wrote it. I also wrote the Lost Treasure story as well. We searched for the Lost Goose Egg Mine some years back. Access to the site was from Weber Reservoir, we parked on Snows Rd. and hiked in. The site is located uphill or due North from the hiking trail in T10N, R12E, in Sections 17 & 18. A number of gold mines and tailing piles exist there, several are right off the hiking trail just a few feet. We've got 6 more days of great weather before the next rain/snow is predicted for the area, so now is a great time to hike around. We did not have a detector on that trip by the way. Best of luck on your quest my friend!!! :thumbsup:

Happy hunting,
The Hangman

OP
OP
N

nickinCA

Apr 15, 2009
Wow thanks a lot! i could easily walk there. ill go check it out sometime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread