Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The design of American coinage has declined for a while now - I think it's safe to say that most of us really like the "merc.", the Walking Liberty , the Standing Liberty (quarter) , the buffalo nickel , the Morgan and Peace dollars - and the Indian Gold pieces , and the Double Eagles . I think the Franklin half is well designed also. Many of the more recent designs lack beauty . I'm sure the intent was sincere but look at the Susan B. Anthony dollar ,in my opinion it is a very poor design . Ms. Anthony deserved better ! I was apalled at how the once noble Lincoln cent has degenerated into the sad piece of rubbish that many of us derisively refer to as the zincoln cent. In my estimation the entire dollar coin varieties after the Peace dollar , have been an insult to the denomination - Ike , Susan B. , Sac., presidentials ,all of them . I favor honoring the many great people of Native , or African ( other) heritage whose contributions to this great nation have not been given recognition that is due them , I only hope we can invoke some of the artistry that was foremost in American coinage at the turn of the twentieth century .

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the designs of the dollar coins that annoy me, it's the size. If you want to mint a dollar coin, make it big! A dollar coin shouldn't be mistaken for a quarter in your pocket. Make it big and maybe people will actually start using them again.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not the designs of the dollar coins that annoy me, it's the size. If you want to mint a dollar coin, make it big! A dollar coin shouldn't be mistaken for a quarter in your pocket. Make it big and maybe people will actually start using them again.

I'm with you make it big and bold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion on all these "new" 1 oz .9999 pure coins it is just the weight and spot market value and is an investment in the metal and it does not matter what they put on it. Between a 1 oz bar and a 1oz coin it seems at most there might be a $20.00 difference for the engraving when you buy. I would just rather have a lot of weight and not worry what was on each one, at most you just get spot right now at around $1290.60. So the less fancier it is the cheaper it is.
They are not going to pay for the engraving on new stuff are they? Not seeing many new highly collectable coins at the moment. I like the bars its just simple.
But I agree that the new artistry is not so classic anymore. Something like a simple mercury is beautiful to me. Nothing new survives in the ground anymore. It's all toasted.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the Coin looks slightly better then the
Sack-of-Jewea & the Grumpy Old Bat coin

Dollar-coins-by-Pablito-2.jpg

that is not Lady Liberty :(

This is Lady Liberty

42-68884062.jpg

all this p.c. crap does nothing for me.

and

NO !. "Say what? " is not a Racist remark.

Please don't go there

Last edited:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

No they won't. People won't want to carry around a bunch of huge coins when there is folding paper. When was the last time that you saw an Ike dollar coin in circulation? I hadn't seen one in years, except that there is some guy near me who apparently pays for his coffee each day with 2 Ike dollars and a Kennedy half. So far I have managed to grab 13 Ikes and I think 5 or 6 halves. One is a 40%er.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't liked ANY of the US Mint's coins in the last 10 years or more. The quarters started the rush and now it seems like it's hey, what can we think of next? down there. I liked the 2016 Mercury "Dime", but don't have one. The rest of them, sorry, look like art projects. And gender and race have absolutely nothing to do with it. Jefferson got a face lift, the buff got
bigger and poor old George Washington always has to look behind him to see who's coming anymore. Does it have to be something new every year? And that baseball coin....please. When I go digging and get a quarter, if it's tails first, I first have to see if it's a US coin or not.

I, personally, am tired of all the revamping of the coins. They keep whining about how the mint is losing money so they go and start coming out with the various backs for the nickel and cent, along with the various quarters. Granted, there are collectors who will want to get them all and "speculators" who will hoard a bunch of them, but I wonder in the end is whether all these variations have been a financial gain or loss for the mint.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they won't. People won't want to carry around a bunch of huge coins when there is folding paper. When was the last time that you saw an Ike dollar coin in circulation? I hadn't seen one in years, except that there is some guy near me who apparently pays for his coffee each day with 2 Ike dollars and a Kennedy half. So far I have managed to grab 13 Ikes and I think 5 or 6 halves. One is a 40%er.

Small or Large, Until they make them look good, or out of Silver so they are worth saving.
I don't want them.

Most people will throw them in their Change Jar & That will be it.

I'll refuse them as change, ("Give me 4 Quarters, 10 Dimes, 20 Nickels,
Even 2 Rolls of Pennies , or any combination of, if your out of Dollar Bills" Would be my response
)
or I'd throw them in my "Cash-in at the end of the year coins" if dug.

that's a $100.00 Gold Coin though.

Not for Circulation, Just for those who Buy coins or feel they need to buy one to prove to themselves or others they are PC enough to want one

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, your posting of those two coins is going to give me nightmares for a week!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a beautiful coin and image. But I assume it is a collector coin. Never heard of a $100 circulated coin.

Jordun

May 7, 2017
Edmonton canada
Detector(s) used
Just the eyes .....I don't think they would trust me with something as technical as a detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate the new colector coins they're pretty but HOLY what a premium. So canadian mint your telling me because you stuck a glow in the dark dinosaur on this quarter ........it's worth 45 bucks ???

And you only want a meaaasley 20 dollars for a 1/4 ounce troy silver coin.

Jordun

May 7, 2017
Edmonton canada
Detector(s) used
Just the eyes .....I don't think they would trust me with something as technical as a detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know in canada we've been role in with a loonies and twonies for years they're both much bigger then a quarter.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Say What?" Well, if you're an immature hypersensitive social justice warrior anything that doesn't agree with your warped ideology is deemed offensive, racist, hate speech, and should be confronted with EXTREME PREJUDICE ! Damn funny how these SJW's can't seem to identify the hypocrisy in their ideology?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the Record , there is nothing Racist in this Thread.
and there is Nothing Political that does not conform
to this Topic In this Thread.
and no There is no reason I can see for this thread being on a possible Deletion Watch List by Me.

Certain members may end up being removed from this Topic, for Accusations
against the OP or members, if they try to Force their opinions on political correctness .
But the thread is Fine by me

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How strange.....this looks like a coin you'd see on one of those infomercials......."that's right, plated in .99999999, yes, thats eight 9's..... gold!"

I can't wait to see how many The Mint says they sell......the dummies should have made this a more affordable 1/10 or 1/4 ounce coin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are way over spot price. They come in a wooden presentation box with a certificate ! Lol You pay around $1,500.00 for this coin. They say they are celebrating the mints 225 years 1792-2017.
It looks like nothing historical to me as far as coinage.
https://www.usmint.gov/news/225th-anniversary

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cmon' man. We know something's going on inside that cranium of yours.:censored: I will also withhold any commentary for fear of reprisals from an unruly mob of SJW's. Them folks be scary.:violent1:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question: How do you make one ounce of 24K gold worth $100?

Answer . . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread