The Old Fort Treasure Shirley, MA ($400,000 gold/coins)

Richper413

Greenie
Apr 3, 2011
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I will add more information as I gather it.

Hi! My friend and I recently purchased a pair of Garrett Ace 250s to start searching our area for lost treasures. After the first day of just messing around in a cellar hole, we found a Victorian era pin and now we are hooked ;D

I started looking up information on lost treasures in my area and came across The Old Fort Treasure in Shirley, MA. This is all I've been able to come up with for information on this legend:

Located somewhere in the vicinity of Shirley, on County rte 111, is believed to be approximately $400,000 in gold and silver coins. I also found some info saying it might be near an old tavern.

I'm pretty sure the old tavern is now the Bull Run Restaurant which is a very old building on rt 111 in Shirley. I grew up on the border of this town and the Squannacook river passes behind that tavern. There are many hiking trails behind that tavern and along the river. The forests have many old rock walls and a couple cellar holes and fields.

I would love to start searching this area for the treasure but this is all the information I have at the moment. Does anyone else know more about this legend?

Thank you so much for any info!
-----------
Found on http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14018&page=2

There is an old story about a hoard of gold and silver coins which are buried near the site of the old Willard Tavern in Shirley. The hoard is claimed to be in the neighborhood of $100,000, but until it is found no one will be sure of the exact figure. Doing a bit of research, such a hoard is possible with the past industry that took place here before the industrial revolution. There was a paper mill that dated back to about 1790, also in 1812, the first cotton mill was built. Other items the town provided to other communities were iron, nails, textiles and rope. All of these products were in high demand in a growing America. The religious group known as the Shakers, were also living here, so could the hoard be theirs? And what about the possibilities that the money could be proceeds from the old tavern it is located near? Someday the treasure might be found and all the questions will be answered.

OP
OP
Richper413

Richper413

Greenie
Apr 3, 2011
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Found this on the Bull Run Restaurant's archive website:

"This rendering of the original Tavern appeared in the Ayer Public Spirit in 1953. Sawtell's tavern stood just next to where the current Bull Run is today, where Parker Road meets Route 2A. A state historic sign marks the spot now. Obadiah, who lived to be 91, was widely known as the most fun-loving of the 10 tavern-keepers of Shirley in the 1700s. Historian Mary Caroline Crawford in her 1907 book Among Old New England Inns wrote:

"At Sawtell's Tavern in Shirley, the rights of New England people to representation when they had paid taxes were vigorously asserted. Obadiah Sawtell kept the house, & when the General Court was formed, he was sent as the town's first representative. He was a Delegate to the First Convention which adopted the Constitution of the United States. Obadiah's tavern was the place where, on gala days, the townspeople conducted their games and sports." Here, here."

Taken from http://www.bullrunrestaurant.com/Archives.html

Attachments

• BullRunPublicSpirit.jpg
    BullRunPublicSpirit.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,264

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm all over this legend... but we'll need more than one hint before we can start looking! haha

K

Kentucky Kache

Richper413 said:
Connecticut Danny said:
What is the latest news?

Nothing yet =( still trying to find info!

I don't know anything about that legend, but I would search all around where that old tavern stood. Whether the legend is true or not, you're liable to find some good coins and relics around there.

SgtDave

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2014
Dracut Ma
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all,

I have hunted that area with permission to do so. Went all around the Bull Run and found nothing but trash and garbage thrown on the river bank. I was told once I crossed the little bridge behind their building then I was on private property. yes there is a parking lot they use but all else is private. Hope this helps.

I am looking and researching if there is another place it might be, I think the tavern was just used as a land mark?

Last edited:

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an old thread, but I'm definitely interested in looking more into this. Too bad the land nearby is private.

Imapluma

Jul 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still searching these areas? I live only about a half hour away and I’ve been wanting to head that way for a while now if you ever wanted to go hunting? I’m always looking for people to dig holes with

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions