The Old Zackson Lost Gold Mine

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well looking into another of the old Penfield/Terry treasure briefs. I am up to the story of the fella named Zackson who had a mine somewhere and when he came into town for supplies paid with dust. When his bottle of dust was empty he went back to his mine with his dog and got more. He was never seen again but supposedly his dog showed up afterwards. Towns mentioned Phillipsburg, Anaconda, East Fork Rock Creek and Lookout Point. Well interesting developments they flipped the name around it is Point Lookout which makes it Ross Fork which empties into Rock Creek. Just posting a brief treasure update since folks are following here and on social media. Moose Lake Zackson Lode.jpg point lookout.jpg zackson.png

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looking into another of the old Penfield/Terry treasure briefs. I am up to the story of the fella named Zackson who had a mine somewhere and when he came into town for supplies paid with dust. When his bottle of dust was empty he went back to his mine with his dog and got more. He was never seen again but supposedly his dog showed up afterwards. Towns mentioned Phillipsburg, Anaconda, East Fork Rock Creek and Lookout Point. Well interesting developments they flipped the name around it is Point Lookout which makes it Ross Fork which empties into Rock Creek. Just posting a brief treasure update since folks are following here and on social media. View attachment 1499905 View attachment 1499907 View attachment 1499908
That's awesome! I have heard the story before, but never seen a pic, cute dog haha! I see Medicine lake there in the map, BIG BIG cutthroat trout in there, all of that area is heavly wooded,(well, except for the big chunk that just burnt this summer...:'() My family and I have gone in that terrain to pick huckleberries for years. Alot of country in there.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
See any signs of the old mines?

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
We are finding plenty of articles on mining for this section of the state, lots of lost cabin stories and lost mines. Should have a nice hefty book when the next is done.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The first post on the story is a very brief account, in my book it is much bigger. Did post a story else where with 2 maps and captions and someone wanted to read the whole story, had to tell them there was 21 pages not posted.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
We did find another report of a lost mine between Rock Creek and the Bitterroot, worth adding to the Zackson story in our book. Research continues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions