What's new

The past mantle relics #8, metate

dognose

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
4,582
Reaction score
13,234
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This metate, was found 02/12/2005. Some peck marks are still visible on the edges.

The top and bottom, take your pick which is the top or bottom, are both polished from use wear (one more than the other), and one side is slightly cupped from use. Measuring 5 7/8 x 4 15/16, its more oval than round.

Of those I have found, most only show peck marks and slight use on the surfaces. This specimen has the most use wear of any I have found, and that not too many.

The photos dont do it justice, showing the polish well. I tried to get it, but could not capture the polish well. Bummer.


20240105_181524.webp

20240105_181528.webp

20240105_181531.webp

20240105_181538.webp
 
Upvote 9
This metate, was found 02/12/2005. Some peck marks are still visible on the edges.

The top and bottom, take your pick which is the top or bottom, are both polished from use wear (one more than the other), and one side is slightly cupped from use. Measuring 5 7/8 x 4 15/16, its more oval than round.

Of those I have found, most only show peck marks and slight use on the surfaces. This specimen has the most use wear of any I have found, and that not too many.

The photos dont do it justice, showing the polish well. I tried to get it, but could not capture the polish well. Bummer.


View attachment 2124571
View attachment 2124572
View attachment 2124573
View attachment 2124574
I have a handheld mortar in my collection I’ve found. It’s not fancy but worked for them. Nice example
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom