What's new

The ROOT of the problem

KneeDeep31

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
53
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering how you all deal with big roots. I need ideas for how to easily and effectively get through those big roots or those nets of roots when in the field. I was thinking of something like this Ultimate Survival Technologies Sabercut™ Saw : Cabela's

I suppose if you can get it under the Root :thumbsup:

I usually go the way of digging, chipping, Chopping & nearly giving myself a Stroke
trying to get at what's under. Sometimes it takes several Visits.
Occasionally I have to Give up

There has to be an Easier way that is not conspicuous to everyone who may look my way.
But so far I haven't found it
 
Stanley-Saw-Blade-Holder.webp

I have several of these folding saws. Made by Stanley, cost maybe $7 or $8. They use sawzall blades, and have storage in the handle to carry several spare blades. I keep metal cutting and wood cutting both in mine. I use one at work for drywall, have one in my kayak dry bag, one in my hunting/hiking fanny pack, and one here in my shop which I have taken detecting.

I wanted to add: They come in neon colors too (at least neon green) which is harder to lose. They are also easy to carry in a hip pocket.
 
Last edited:
I go around. If it was something worth hacking after I'd come back with a pruning saw (like the keyhole saw shown above)
 
A pair of pruning loppers works really well if I can't quickly hack through with my shovel. Just dig around the root and clear enough away for the jaws to get purchase. Some of the newer lopper designs have gears and are quite powerful. Now is the time to buy gardening tools BTW. Check out your local garden center or even the Wally World garden section. Most of that stuff is on clearance till April.

ETA: I wouldn't go all hacky, hacky chopping up roots on someone's property other than your own. It just occurred to me after I sent the original post to mention that.
 
Last edited:
I do my best to avoid large tree roots. Damage may occur to tree.
When new waterlines were installed under my front yard, roots to a beautiful apple �� tree were cut and thus killed tree.
Always go around/under roots.
Peace ✌
 
View attachment 1115337

I have several of these folding saws. Made by Stanley, cost maybe $7 or $8. They use sawzall blades, and have storage in the handle to carry several spare blades. I keep metal cutting and wood cutting both in mine. I use one at work for drywall, have one in my kayak dry bag, one in my hunting/hiking fanny pack, and one here in my shop which I have taken detecting.

I wanted to add: They come in neon colors too (at least neon green) which is harder to lose. They are also easy to carry in a hip pocket.

I love it
 
I agree with the "cincinnatiKid", go around or under usually you can find the target without harming the tree.
 
it is not always possible to go around & under.

I have seen Roots tight against each other

And if you research Trees you should find out Trees bind to each other and share Roots.

I personally find it very hard to believe cutting a single root can cause a tree to die
unless the tree is just taking root. or the roots are very large


I'm no botanist though I could be wrong . certain fruit trees like apples that need special attention to
produce, may be an exception
 
Last edited:
the dump diggers use these limb loppers, these will destroy 2 inch roots. anything bigger is axe time.


pruner.webp
ax.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom