The Sombrero Mine

Steve Bowser

Greenie
Sep 5, 2023
Ahwatukee, AZ
Hello again LDM hunters and Thank You for the interest in my material. This is a continuation of my thread 'Is the Lost Dutchman Mine the Sombrero Mine?'.
View attachment 2065607
'Above the junction of a West flowing canyon/wash(Tortilla) and a North flowing canyon/wash(Peters) you will find clues to the mine'.
This is a pic of a rock pinnacle just East of this Junction of Tortilla Wash and Peters Canyon. This has been 'chipped' on top to form the shape of a Heart and would
be seen from a good distance as you enter the mining 'site' from the East. This was to advise the Mexican miners they had arrived at their destination.
The Peralta Stone maps show a trail coming in from the West. This is a pic of this junction, the 'chipped' Heart is to the right
The red dashes are this trail coming in from the West, into Peters, across this hilltop, and then into Tortilla Wash heading South.
View attachment 2065643
This is a pic of the 'stone' trail marker.
View attachment 2065644
This is a 'current' 2023 google close up of this hilltop.
View attachment 2065697
Next is a google pic of the same hilltop, this is dated 2007.
For any 'Spanish/Mexican' treasure hunter I cannot emphasize enough the benefits Google Earth can provide. They made 'maps' out of the terrain,
and they were very good at this. Depending on the 'terrain' I would think these could be found at many of their sites around Az, Mexico, etc.-'depending on the terrain'..
The Mexican miners would have 'scouts' that would go to the 'mountain tops'. With 'eye glasses' they would scan the hill sides and hill tops for these 'symbols/signs' to show them the way. The 'sign/symbol' site would be cleared of rock, brush and at their time would have been clear to see. Over time these will disappear, however, if you 'change' your Google 'time' zones you can find them. I find 2007 is best for me. I believe the mountain to the 'South' of this junction is 'Geronimo Head, looking at the sky'. You can see this from the 'West', such as on the road to Payson. The 'knob' on the top South end of this mountain top is the 'Sombrero' hill identified in the maps to name this mine, which is across the 'gulch'(Peters) to the East. From this mountain top looking North they would see the below.
X This is the 'trail' symbol and would be placed along the trail. See this symbol and a 'trail' is there.
- ) Separated Arrow This advised to 'continue this way but pay attention to the next symbol'.
Circle with a Dot in the center This is the mine symbol. The 'line' is providing the direction.
These are almost 200 years old yet can still be seen and advise where the trail is and the direction to go to the mine.
View attachment 2065647
This is a google from the top of the 'chipped' Heart rock, looking South at the South side of Tortilla Wash. The Peralta Stone Map trail entering Tortilla is below on the right. There is a triangle shaped area 'cleared of brush' , the arrow is pointing to this. There is a 'X' trail symbol in this cleared area(next pic). This is not the trail to the Sombrero mine, this trail is in the bottom of the wash and exits past this spot.
View attachment 2065861
View attachment 2065880
This is a sketch map dated 1846, my apologies this is upside down, it will match up better for the following pic.
I have marked Tortilla Wash, Peters Canyon and the Sombrero-which is not listed on this map.
View attachment 2065984
This is a google pic of this sketch map location. Other than the Sombrero mine these tack marks are just an estimate location based on the trails/signs, but I have no doubt they are there. There is a Heart inlay stone dated 1847 reflecting 10 mines 'within the Heart'. They left in 1847 and as far as I know only came back to the Sombrero due to so rich. There is a 3? mile broken ridge that runs in a 'line', the Sombrero mine is on the right(inside the red square). There is a 'black' vein in this broken ridgeline, pics of what this same rock looks like up close I have posted previously. If you zoom down, you can see a red dirt vein(Iron) on top running parallel with this broken ridge. The Mexican miners had 'current' maps and were updating them, dug out mines would not be on these current maps, and they are about to get booted out.
View attachment 2065985

When the Mexican miners come into this site from the South, they entered from the 'East' end dropping down off
the broken ridge down close to Tortilla Wash and would 'head West'. This trail is between the 2 'left' yellow tacks. 'East' of the Sombrero mine, across the Mountain and below the 2 mine tacks, this is a pic of the 'West' slope of this mountain, Tortilla Wash is on the bottom right.
View attachment 2066051
This is a 2007 pic of this same slope. I have been advised my 'signs/symbols' I see are just 'shadows' so my apologies if unable to 'see'. It appears to me that there is a large section covering several of these 'hills' that had been cleared and symbols placed. The bottom arrow is for a symbol that was 'added' to show the way to the newly found Sombrero. I see the 'X' trail symbol, a 'half circle', and a line. I believe the half circle is the same as the half circle on the Peralta Heart stone for the Sombrero and is implying 'to go around the mountain'-trail the direction of the line. The top arrow is pointing to a 'Heart' shape. Alot of effort was put into this site.
View attachment 2066059
I believe there was a camp in here, and if I go the direction of the 'line' on the hillside symbol, this trail goes up and over the North side of this Mtn. This is a pic from the North looking at the Peters canyon side, and the yellow dashes show this trail. It goes to this mine, and possibly others. It also continues South down Peters Canyon. I believe the miners hauled the ore to the camp to be processed to haul home.
View attachment 2066190
*Be sure to use different 'time zones' on google to look at these.
The terrain in here is restricted so the miners had few places to make/go with a mule. If you can see a trail it had traffic and is important, such as above. Just past the Ledge with the Sombrero mine is a gulch, and a trail going up, coming from the North. The main trail South is in the canyon floor. I can see a trail going up this slope, and one going into the gulch. I do not know if these are prospects or mines, but when I can see a trail going into a dead-end gulch, or into a cliff face or up onto a dead-end ledge, there is a reason.
View attachment 2066194
Hello again Ancientones,

I'm attaching two of your photos regarding your identification of The Sombrero Mine/Lost Dutchman Mine along with your descriptions. Just by looking at your photos, It's difficult to figure out how large the space is in your photo of the Hidden Camp within the 3 white shaped rocks, and more importantly the size of the opening and depth from your photo of The Sombrero/Lost Dutchman Mine. Please give approximate dimensions of these two sites.

1673377491350.png

"As you start around the pit on the trail, there are 3 white, square/rectangle shaped rocks directly above the mine. There is a small camp hidden inside the 3 rocks, it has been cleared and remnants of a fire pit" Ancientones quote.

1673572143304.png

"There is a square rock not quite blocking the entrance, you must be on your belly to enter the mine, and you can almost peak into the mine/cave where the dirt has settled. The mine entrance appears to be chipped to form the heart." Ancientones quote.

Providing approximate dimensions will help to understand the scale and offer perspective to your photos. A response from you would be much appreciated.

Thank you - Steve

Steve Bowser

Greenie
Sep 5, 2023
Ahwatukee, AZ
Hello again Ancientones,

I'm attaching two of your photos regarding your identification of The Sombrero Mine/Lost Dutchman Mine along with your descriptions. Just by looking at your photos, It's difficult to figure out how large the space is in your photo of the Hidden Camp within the 3 white shaped rocks, and more importantly the size of the opening and depth from your photo of The Sombrero/Lost Dutchman Mine. Please give approximate dimensions of these two sites.

View attachment 2128556
"As you start around the pit on the trail, there are 3 white, square/rectangle shaped rocks directly above the mine. There is a small camp hidden inside the 3 rocks, it has been cleared and remnants of a fire pit" Ancientones quote.

View attachment 2128557
"There is a square rock not quite blocking the entrance, you must be on your belly to enter the mine, and you can almost peak into the mine/cave where the dirt has settled. The mine entrance appears to be chipped to form the heart." Ancientones quote.

Providing approximate dimensions will help to understand the scale and offer perspective to your photos. A response from you would be much appreciated.

Thank you - Steve
It's been almost a month with no reply since my January 29, 2024 post asking Ancientones to clarify a couple site dimensions referred to in his January 20, 2023 post "The Sombero Mine."

I have recently been to the location of Ancientones' "The Sombrero Mine/Lost Dutchman Mine" as described in his post, and I offer the following information and photos on what I found.

I would be glad to supply more photos and more clarifications if anyone would like further information. All photos were taken by me.

Ancientones referenced several sites with photos in his post, but I have picked what I think are the most relevant to focus on. My photos have annotations on them to help identify the site and Ancientones' comments about the site.

The first photo is what Ancientones refers to as a camp that is hidden in some large boulders.
Dec 23u 047.0.JPG

Dec 23u 050.0.JPG

This is a match to Ancientones' photo showing the area of the mine.
Dec 23u 059.1.jpg

The next photo was taken from the "arrowhead shaped rock" looking north.
Dec 23u 070.1.jpg

The Mexican Shrine.
Dec 23u 059.51.jpg

Dec 23u 060.5.JPG

The Sombrero/Lost Dutchman Mine.
Dec 23u 072.1.jpg

Dec 23u 074.0.JPG

No need to verbalize my findings, my photos tell the story. Feel free to ask questions and make comments. it would be especially interesting to hear from Ancientones.

Steve

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been almost a month with no reply since my January 29, 2024 post asking Ancientones to clarify a couple site dimensions referred to in his January 20, 2023 post "The Sombero Mine."

I have recently been to the location of Ancientones' "The Sombrero Mine/Lost Dutchman Mine" as described in his post, and I offer the following information and photos on what I found.

I would be glad to supply more photos and more clarifications if anyone would like further information. All photos were taken by me.

Ancientones referenced several sites with photos in his post, but I have picked what I think are the most relevant to focus on. My photos have annotations on them to help identify the site and Ancientones' comments about the site.

The first photo is what Ancientones refers to as a camp that is hidden in some large boulders.
View attachment 2133964
View attachment 2133965

This is a match to Ancientones' photo showing the area of the mine.
View attachment 2133966
The next photo was taken from the "arrowhead shaped rock" looking north.
View attachment 2133967
The Mexican Shrine.
View attachment 2133968
View attachment 2133969
The Sombrero/Lost Dutchman Mine.
View attachment 2133970
View attachment 2133971

No need to verbalize my findings, my photos tell the story. Feel free to ask questions and make comments. it would be especially interesting to hear from Ancientones.

Steve
Nice "boots on the ground" photos Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread