What's new

The story of Hermit John’s Gold. I think I found the spot, but no Gold.

It’s definitely odd there is no paper trail/ documentation that gold was ever sent. Train stations kept meticulous logs of shipments coming and going so definitely puts the entire legend in question. Stories like this also started back then to boost the local economy 🤷
 
Next time I get out that way, I might like to do that.

I have been out to them as well. If you look up the mines in BLM Database, they are listed as Gold Mines (gold in granite host), with "Other Commodities" listed as Copper, Zinc, and Silver. Using a metal detector (other than a gold machine) is worthless out there due to all the spent ammunition, bomb and artillery shrapnel left over from Gen Patton's 3rd Army. Supposed to be a tank and several vehicles buried out that way as well.

You can still drive out there. You just have to know they are there (since the BLM has taken to hiding all those places by leaving them off maps now, but that is a rant for another thread). You must mean the old road between the Calumets and the Sheepholes. That one is blocked at the South End. You can still drive around the North End of the Sheepholes from Amboy Road and get over to the East Side that way. I have a couple of spots I dry wash on the NE Side. The ONLY kind of prospecting I hate is dam* Dry Washing. To me, its like sanding drywall (the one construction job I refuse to do). Cement boogers for two weeks after. LOL

Best - Mike
Not with a puffer
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom