paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only had time for a short hunt today so I revisited a previous site where I had found all of the early coppers grouped together. I had a hunch that I missed a few things and indeed I found four more buttons and one copper. Initially I thought I had found my first cartwheel penny, but after cleaning it up it was clear that wasn't the case. The bust is left facing and it's incredibly thick (2mm), but some light cleaning revealed it wasn't a KG II, but a Connecticut Copper.

DSC04156.JPG DSC04158.JPG

There's not much detail around the date, but I believe it's an 1787. What's odd is that the strike is somewhat recessed (but not tremendously) into the copper and the coin itself is much thicker than the other coppers of the day.

DSC04159.JPG DSC04161.JPG DSC04162.JPG

Maybe a quality control issue where a planchette of the wrong thickness made it's way between the dies. Definitely a first for me and to find only one coin and have it be a state copper is a great day!

Upvote 20
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure they didn't always use hammers when they did that to coins. Sometimes they just patiently tapped around the edge of the coins with a spoon or other similar object. This allowed them to control the shape better. It obviously took a lot longer doing it with a spoon though. Nice find.

That's some serious dedication right there; although that would also explain why I find so many broken spoons at every home site! :laughing7:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, that is interesting. The things a bored colonial would do to pass the time...

Funny thing is metal detectorists 200 years from now will be digging up fidget spinners and saying the same thing about us! :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing is metal detectorists 200 years from now will be digging up fidget spinners and saying the same thing about us! :laughing7:

Anything modern will be long gone in 200 years. Sadly that may be a good thing lol. I’m always amazed how it seems the older the coins the better they survive. My 1600s coins are better than most of the 1800s coins I find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread