What's new

The Track-Way - Day 2...

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,306
Reaction score
48,543
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent 7 hours gridding on my own today.
This area is begging the age old question; 'Is my limited time best spent here....'
As recordable items per hour go, this is a slow field for us. Unless you want plain buttons...
I think 1 more day is worth the gamble, I still think this track-way has the potential for any period special surprise, only time will tell.

5 Roman Coins
Early Navy Button
Tudor Button
Small section of Bronze Age Spear
Very unusual Romano-Celtic Bull's Horn, but the statue was a biggie!
It doesn't look all that interesting, but until I checked it had me scratching my head. I knew it was a circa 6th C Saxon Wrist Clasp, but it had none of the fixings you would expect & no evidence of broken scars. On the base it had traces of being soldered (or whatever the then technical term was), so I knew it must have been attached on to the fixing required to operate the clasp.
Turns out this applied type is a Form B13a, late 5th -6th C.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    154.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    173.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    79.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Upvote 20
"As recordable items per hour go, this is a slow field for us." Over here, we seldom find a site that produces half this much in seven hours. Simply amazing considering that our finds are mostly 17th century and up, while yours are single digit. I don't know that I could get bored over there. Context is everything. Congrats on what I feel are truly amazing finds!
 
"As recordable items per hour go, this is a slow field for us." Over here, we seldom find a site that produces half this much in seven hours. Simply amazing considering that our finds are mostly 17th century and up, while yours are single digit. I don't know that I could get bored over there. Context is everything. Congrats on what I feel are truly amazing finds!
Just for those that don't know a recordable item or coin is something that we GPS.
I sometimes use the word bored, but what I'm really focused on is trying to be in the right place, right time, right conditions. If I'm not recording much, then in some way or another I'm not in the right place when other options may yield more.
Its that balancing act I talk about, this is risky because its not been properly gridding so its an unknown quantity. It needs doing, but all of it now (days of work) or onto a Known Site? On top of that we need to invest time in finding new sites, & that's even harder but needs doing as well. So, it goes back to not having enough time!
 
Last edited:
Looks like an awesome day !! Congrats and HH
 
Looks like an awesome day !! Congrats and HH

Thanks, in a way you right, but Tommy G puts it well. Its all about context, & that doesn't just mean which Country your from. Because about 20 years ago, this would have been an 'awesome day' - Bronze Age, Roman/Celtic, Saxon, Tudor, & modern!
But, as you learn more & up your game, it becomes common-place & your expectations grow. Goes back to that old saying 'if it were easy everyone would be doing it'.
There is now 1 advantage, Tnet can give your nearly 30 years of experience for free. Lessons learnt, lessons shared.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom