The Track-Way Site - Day 12 - 3 Hammered, SAXON SCEAT & TREASURE...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My aim was to finish this site today, but we still have at least another days worth before we can move on.
This is by far the largest area we have ever gridded, we are getting close to 100 acres. I have drawn a scaled picture of the field & shown the area we have gridded in red. The whole field is just short of 200 acres!
Another 1 day button record for the field of 85 buttons but we did one of our longest days in a while - 6 hours 15 mins;

15 Scrappies
Livery Button
Rev War period Royal Navy Button (a first I think)
3 Lead Tokens
Rose Farthing
16th C Oval Buckle
5 Saxon Strap-ends, new record, I thought I did well with my Silver inlaid example (a first), but Cru'dad got a better first with a solid Silver type (TREASURE)
2 Saxon Partifacts
My first 6-7th C Saxon Buckle with Pin
3 Hammered - 2 Ed I Pennies, & 1 Charles I Penny
SAXON SCEAT AD700 - This is now our 8th for the year already - Crazy

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
3a.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 23
Hard to describe- that's a lifetime of finds to many. Congrats for all those great items and the diligence to work an area with that much discipline!

My aim was to finish this site today, but we still have at least another days worth before we can move on.
This is by far the largest area we have ever gridded, we are getting close to 100 acres. I have drawn a scaled picture of the field & shown the area we have gridded in red. The whole field is just short of 200 acres!
Another 1 day button record for the field of 85 buttons but we did one of our longest days in a while - 6 hours 15 mins;

15 Scrappies
Livery Button
3 Lead Tokens
Rose Farthing
16th C Oval Buckle
5 Saxon Strap-ends, new record, I thought I did well with my Silver inlaid example (a first), but Cru'dad got a better first with a solid Silver type (TREASURE)
2 Saxon Partifacts

View attachment 2069368View attachment 2069369View attachment 2069370View attachment 2069371View attachment 2069372View attachment 2069373View attachment 2069374View attachment 2069376View attachment 2069377View attachment 2069378View attachment 2069379View attachment 2069380
Will you be able to clean up the solid silver Saxon strap piece? 85 buttons...can you top that?! I forsee a hundred button day...novice that I am...the 6-7th century Saxon buckle with pin... directly above the hammered pics? And the "porcupine" sceat has an unusual set of marks like T's...I don't recall seeing that before....Just incredible...if they ever do a deep plow who knows what other treasure is lurking beneath the surface...

Ginormous congratulations!

That must have been a very busy site back in the day, Cru! You and Dad always recover massive finds wherever you hunt! Congratulations, and again, thanks for sharing.

Will you be able to clean up the solid silver Saxon strap piece? 85 buttons...can you top that?! I forsee a hundred button day...novice that I am...the 6-7th century Saxon buckle with pin... directly above the hammered pics? And the "porcupine" sceat has an unusual set of marks like T's...I don't recall seeing that before....Just incredible...if they ever do a deep plow who knows what other treasure is lurking beneath the surface...

Ginormous congratulations!
Can't clean the silver Saxon strap-end as its going to the British Museum as Treasure & therefore it may not be ours to do anything with. We will find out in 2 years.
Yes thats the small Saxon Buckle.
Its a pretty common Sceat, as Sceat go, but those that know any Sceat is a tough find.
This is the deep plough, hence all the finds. First deep plough in over 5 years.

Another awesome day! Do you include all of Curdad's finds when you post or just his good stuff? Were the 85 buttons between the both of you?
Always include all our joint finds. His finds are my finds, he keeps nothing.

That must have been a very busy site back in the day, Cru! You and Dad always recover massive finds wherever you hunt! Congratulations, and again, thanks for sharing.
I think its been busy for thousands of years. Its the nearby water that makes it attractive, plus the very light soil for farming, most is heavy clay, so when we find sandy soil we are on it.

15 Scrappies
Livery Button
3 Lead Tokens
Rose Farthing
16th C Oval Buckle
2 Saxon Partifacts

View attachment 2069368View attachment 2069369View attachment 2069370View attachment 2069371View attachment 2069372View attachment 2069373View attachment 2069374View attachment 2069376View attachment 2069377View attachment 2069378View attachment 2069379View attachment 2069380

15 Scrappies
Livery Button
3 Lead Tokens
Rose Farthing
16th C Oval Buckle
2 Saxon Partifacts

Crusader you are my new HERO !!! your finds are AMAZING to say the LEAST :) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK you for sharing with us!!! I have SO MANY QUESTIONS to ask you :) Maybe i should FLY over there to INTERVIEW YOU :) Of course i would bring some metal detectors :) hahahahaha How do you find your sites to detect ? What reference materials do you use ? What settings on your Deus II ? Thanks AGAIN for SHARING !!

15 Scrappies
Livery Button
3 Lead Tokens
Rose Farthing
16th C Oval Buckle
2 Saxon Partifacts

Wow. Great finds. Congrats

Crusader you are my new HERO !!! your finds are AMAZING to say the LEAST :) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK you for sharing with us!!! I have SO MANY QUESTIONS to ask you :) Maybe i should FLY over there to INTERVIEW YOU :) Of course i would bring some metal detectors :) hahahahaha How do you find your sites to detect ? What reference materials do you use ? What settings on your Deus II ? Thanks AGAIN for SHARING !!
Google Earth & other Archaeological sources that I'm not sharing on an open forum.:thumbsup:
Deep Program, not messed with any custom settings until they bring out V1.0

Google Earth & other Archaeological sources that I'm not sharing on an open forum.:thumbsup:
Deep Program, not messed with any custom settings until they bring out V1.0
Thank you very much :) I would not want you to disclose something that might help people close to you :)

15 Scrappies
Livery Button
3 Lead Tokens
Rose Farthing
16th C Oval Buckle
2 Saxon Partifacts

Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Nearly missed that one! Congrats on another treasure find!
That was a lot of Saxon activity there. I remember you having slow days on that site. I wish they would deep plough here too. Crudad made the treasure find but by looks the silver inlaid strap end is to show off.

Excellent day. Congrats to you both. How do you know what to send to the museum?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back