The Tungsten Carbide Mystery?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be an interesting discussion. I just got back from a day of detecting at a Michigan State Park beach, got 2 Triton Tungsten Carbide rings that retail between $250-$350 each. I found so many of these fakers in recent years it's really quite puzzling to me, the notion that people are spending big money on these rings that have no scrap value or even much resale value, if any at all in many cases.

Now I get the whole wear factor, tungsten carbide being extremely hard and durable, but at the same time I can still buy a 10K gold band, something with value, for pretty much the same money that folks are spending on these TC rings with zero precious metal value and little if any resale value. Who can explain this too me? I'm miffed. What am I missing? :dontknow:
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN4133_00.jpg
    DSCN4133_00.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSCN4141.jpg
    DSCN4141.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got that same ring a couple weeks ago !!

If this trend continues the price of gold is going to plummet.....:laughing7:
But I did just hear this, 98% of those uneffected by covid wear either gold, sterling or platinum. 99.3 % of those effected by covid wear Tungsten. Please feel free to share everywhere....:laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be an interesting discussion. I just got back from a day of detecting at a Michigan State Park beach, got 2 Triton Tungsten Carbide rings that retail between $250-$350 each. I found so many of these fakers in recent years it's really quite puzzling to me, the notion that people are spending big money on these rings that have no scrap value or even much resale value, if any at all in many cases.

Now I get the whole wear factor, tungsten carbide being extremely hard and durable, but at the same time I can still buy a 10K gold band, something with value, for pretty much the same money that folks are spending on these TC rings with zero precious metal value and little if any resale value. Who can explain this too me? I'm miffed. What am I missing? :dontknow:
attachment.php

Agreed.

I scratch my head everyday at peoples decisions... dont know why someone would spend more than 10 dollars retail on those.

As the ole saying goes - "a fool and their money soon part ways".

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if they are soo cheap then they'd be easy to throw away if your "relationship" soured with the man/women who gave you a tungsten one. That would make it something a lot o folks could throw away,and our chances of finding them as Metal Detectors increases. I've never run up on one yet, but I've never found a ring in the 45 years of detecting either

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

attachment.php
I haven,t looked lately so don,t jump my case if I,m wrong but last time I looked,Tungsten carbide was going for around 5.00 a lb.scrap.I was contemplating removing the teeth from saw blades for scrap but just wasn,t worth it.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

attachment.php
I guess they're better than finding the little more common cents. I give them away to family, friends and even strangers. Been thinking about making a necklace out of them all strung together...something to wear at MD gatherings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions