xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday I had a 4 hr window to go dig some holes. After 4 spots and very little to show (one pendant or fishing lure?) for it I was getting frustrated. At the first spot my pin pointer ran out of batteries or so I thought. So I left to get a new battery. I put in the fresh battery at spot #2 and it still wouldn't work. I do believe it's broken. It reminded me of the first 1-2 years I detected with no pin pointer. It's tough to go back to that tedious life of toil.

Last spot #5 with about half an hour and I told myself just find one coin. A 1903 IHP popped out to my surprise. Okay my day was made. Next hole I dug a signal that sounded like it had IHP potential but it turned out to be a Chinese "cash coin!" I had not ever found one up to this point so this was exciting! These coins don't get too much hype because they are not rare, not big, and contain no artwork to get excited about... a little boring to look at. The neat thing is that they can be really old but show up in new sites. They were often in circulation long after they were made. I was able to look this one up and to my delight it was made under Emperor Qianlong 1736-1795! Interestingly the coins have no date it's just the time period during that rulers reign that they are attributed. This coin is almost like a KGII and III at the same time because his rule was so lengthy! The coins were cast and then put on a square rod to file down the edges. It's probably the only cast coin I've ever found and potentially my oldest as I have some dateless KGII's. Qianlong was probably one of the most powerful rulers in the entire world at the time. Among many interesting things about the guy he initiated a gun buy back program - possibly the first of it's kind, he was an avid / insatiable collector of art and used all means to get the art. He would look at a persons collection, then criticize it and remind them that this dishonor could be fixed by giving him some of the artworks. Refusing an emperor was not an option. How's that for absolute power? He also engaged in thought policing and had thousands of people who would go through books and test each sentence to see if it stood against his dynasty in any way. If it didn't then the author was safe. If it did they were tortured to death or if you were already dead they'd desecrate your body. Qianlong was surely a product of his times who did what many would do with that kind of power: he used it at every turn. China has changed a lot since those days but the more things change the more they stay the same. This one is going with my colonial coppers! Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_7356.JPG
    IMG_7356.JPG
    881.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7357.JPG
    IMG_7357.JPG
    681.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7358.PNG
    IMG_7358.PNG
    353.4 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 14

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find! I haven't found me any cash coins but I think they are super cool. Thats better than my average 4 hrs.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done, congrats! :occasion14:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A cash coin is still on my bucket list. I was with a hunting partner last year when he dug one, so I know they are in W PA. Congrats on yours!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff!
The Chinese coin is a story teller, for sure...!
I use this link to key out my Chinese coins - it has pictures,
illustrations, etc on the things. Did you?
http://primaltrek.com/chinesecoins.html#qing_dynasty_coins
It (was) a memory of Homeland China, for the hard- working owner....!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I found three in the same hole this past summer, I started to research them but got a massive headache. I’ll probably research them this winter when the ground is shovel proof and I have nothing else to do. I did learn some things here on Tnet I did not know about them from Smokey the cat. Often they were sewn into clothing in groups of 3 ( I found three, weird right) there was also a game (forget the name) that they were used in. Congrats!! I have mine in flips also with my big coppers............

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and thanks for the info about the Cash Coin! :icon_thumright: I've found myself and did not think much of it at the time because everything is old in China.

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos for the great research and story!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff!
The Chinese coin is a story teller, for sure...!
I use this link to key out my Chinese coins - it has pictures,
illustrations, etc on the things. Did you?
http://primaltrek.com/chinesecoins.html#qing_dynasty_coins
It (was) a memory of Homeland China, for the hard- working owner....!

Thanks for the link. I was able to look up my coin and date it in about 5 minutes the day I found it but I hadn't seen this link which is also pretty informative. Thank you!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and thanks for the info about the Cash Coin! :icon_thumright: I've found myself and did not think much of it at the time because everything is old in China.

Yes it's true the age of that country kind of throws the whole perspective on time / history off a bit. If I break into the 1800's with a find I am happy!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found three in the same hole this past summer, I started to research them but got a massive headache. I’ll probably research them this winter when the ground is shovel proof and I have nothing else to do. I did learn some things here on Tnet I did not know about them from Smokey the cat. Often they were sewn into clothing in groups of 3 ( I found three, weird right) there was also a game (forget the name) that they were used in. Congrats!! I have mine in flips also with my big coppers............

Joe I remember your post! I thought I'd be able to look up and ID your coins with ease but I wasn't able to find them. It took me 5 minutes for mine. I guess it was beginners luck. I'm sure you will be able to Id yours you will have to keep looking. I was reading and there were rebel groups making coins. Could be something more obscure but I'm sure the info is out there. Imagine if the were actually like 500 years old! You need to know! Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread