pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems that critters, insects, all have cycles. I was wishing that the Japanese Beatles were finished last year.
Seeing only a few I was happy.
Then a few more, then by noon yesterday it was full out war.
Mainly on the raspberry canes, and they will go after the berries as well.
So out came some traps, and the bucket of soapy water.
They just roll off the plant, to the ground and hide.
Holding the bucket of sudsy water under the them, they land on the foam, dive under to the water.
Still a time consuming task that eats away from other duties.
Has to be done, or loose the berry patch.
20220713_135341.jpg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that critters, insects, all have cycles. I was wishing that the Japanese Beatles were finished last year.
Holding the bucket of sudsy water under the them, they land on the foam, dive under to the water.
View attachment 2036511
Checked my Muscadine vines and have seen none yet. They seem to show up in a hoard over night. They can pretty much strip my vines and Weeping Cherry in no time. They are usually here earlier than this so maybe a break this year. Thanks for the heads up.
I still remember the beetle traps and government spraying virtually right over us in 60s. They slowed the beetles but killed off lots of wildlife, and especially certain bird species.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had them bad at my old home , 3 trap bags filled per day and hand picking hundreds as well and it went on for months. I moved here 4 years ago and set my traps out at first site of them and never even filled one bag. blue birds love them ,I built and placed nest boxes for the bluebirds and they work hard all day every day cleaning up the unwanted insect pest. my chickens roam the grounds eating anything that moves .

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nasty little buggers! When I was a child we had a decent vegetable garden and when those bugs showed up my mother would pay my sister and myself a bowl of ice cream every time we cleared the garden of them. We'd eat a lot of ice cream when they were bad!!

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nasty little buggers! When I was a child we had a decent vegetable garden and when those bugs showed up my mother would pay my sister and myself a bowl of ice cream every time we cleared the garden of them. We'd eat a lot of ice cream when they were bad!!
View attachment 2036511 I don't see to many around my area here in northern NJ. They could have sprayed.But we have those lantern flys

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2036511
Bass like them! I used to tie a foam based imitation of those that worked pretty good.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many did you catch?
I,ve caught a great many over time.Works best around places where the bushes and tree limbs hang over the water.I got the pattern from the book,Tying Foam Flies by Harrison Steeves. Very good book. Around this time of year the bass hang back in places like that for the shade and cooler water.They,re always on the lookout for anything falling in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread