What's new

Thimble experts needed

hammered

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
2,994
Reaction score
144
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ankh-Morpork
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx Power and Canon 7D and Viagra supplier
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this silver thimble today, and I would like to be able to date it. It has no hallmark, but it is silver. Any help would be appreciated
help.gif
.

hammered
 

Attachments

  • Web 04082010067.webp
    Web 04082010067.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Web 04082010068.webp
    Web 04082010068.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 301
You might have to hand that in mate :P

What else did you get?
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
You might have to hand that in mate :P

What else did you get?

Yeah it occurred to me too mate :-\, I also found a scrappy roman, 1888 farthing, bale seal plus lots of bits of lead, the usual buttons and a few other what is it's I haven't had time to photo yet. The field was long stubble and really awkward to detect. Going to go back when its ploughed
JC_gimmefive.gif
.

hammered
 
Upvote 0
Is that a Tudor rose on top :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
Is that a Tudor rose on top :icon_scratch:

:dontknow:, I saw that too, but I have no idea with thimbles.

hammered
 
Upvote 0
hammered said:
shaun7 said:
Is that a Tudor rose on top :icon_scratch:

:dontknow:, I saw that too, but I have no idea with thimbles.

hammered



I mostly have no idea with anything :D

It looks old though :-\
 
Upvote 0
The gap in the dimples on the side is odd... like it was done with a early roller/die. If that is the case I would say 18th c., but no marks on Brit silver? :o :o must have been smuggled. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Interesting one, no rim so points to age. Although it looks very shiny, almost new, have you cleaned it?. The decoration and shape , plus it being made in two pieces point towards 17th/18th Century. If it is, it will be worth having it repaired. I can recommend someone to do it.
Robert.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
The gap in the dimples on the side is odd... like it was done with a early roller/die. If that is the case I would say 18th c., but no marks on Brit silver? :o :o must have been smuggled. :laughing7:
For a part of the 18th century small silver items were exempt from hall marks.
 
Upvote 0
robfinds said:
Interesting one, no rim so points to age. Although it looks very shiny, almost new, have you cleaned it?. The decoration and shape , plus it being made in two pieces point towards 17th/18th Century. If it is, it will be worth having it repaired. I can recommend someone to do it.
Robert.

Yes Rob, I did clean it. To be honest I didn't realise it was silver until I did. If you could pm me the contact info for repair I would be grateful :icon_thumleft:.

Ian
 
Upvote 0
robfinds said:
For a part of the 18th century small silver items were exempt from hall marks.

Thank you, I did not know that. Do you have any dates? :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
robfinds said:
For a part of the 18th century small silver items were exempt from hall marks.

Thank you, I did not know that. Do you have any dates? :notworthy:
Lucas, I think full hall marking for small silver objects came in around 1821.
 
Upvote 0
VERY NICE! I still have a silver thimble on my wish list. I thought I had one but it turned out not to be silver.
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
You might have to hand that in mate :P

What else did you get?
You have been around Cru to long :-\

SS
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

A nice little find there Mate :o shame about the damage :-\ doubt it's over three hundred years old though....but nice :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Cheers SS :icon_thumleft:, I have no idea about the age of it, but my first guess was late 18th early 19th century. But it's my first silver thimble so I'm really pleased, I think I will get it repaired and put it in my display cabinet anyway :laughing7:. How about you, are you getting out much?.

hammered
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

A nice little find there Mate :o shame about the damage :-\ doubt it's over three hundred years old though....but nice :icon_thumleft:

SS
I don't Colin, that square design is known as (don't laugh) waffle design, used on 17th Century thimbles.
 
Upvote 0
robfinds said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

A nice little find there Mate :o shame about the damage :-\ doubt it's over three hundred years old though....but nice :icon_thumleft:

SS
I don't Colin, that square design is known as (don't laugh) waffle design, used on 17th Century thimbles.
Few wafflers on here Rob :laughing7:

SS
 
Upvote 0
hammered said:
Cheers SS :icon_thumleft:, I have no idea about the age of it, but my first guess was late 18th early 19th century. But it's my first silver thimble so I'm really pleased, I think I will get it repaired and put it in my display cabinet anyway :laughing7:. How about you, are you getting out much?.

hammered
Season no were near kicked of yet Ian :-\...but I have outher things on my mind at the moment anyway :-\

SS
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom