What's new

Thin Old Round Whatzit with Raised Concentric Ring

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
4,065
Reaction score
3,043
Golden Thread
1
Location
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet another enigmatic find. This also comes from the same former British island. It appears pretty old. It's thin and about the size of the old British pennies. I'm not quite sure what the metal is though I'm assuming some sort of copper alloy. Thanks for any ideas on this one.
 

Attachments

  • Whatzit 2012 a 007.webp
    Whatzit 2012 a 007.webp
    469.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Whatzit 2012 a 009.webp
    Whatzit 2012 a 009.webp
    456.1 KB · Views: 266
Maybe an old corroded coin?
 
Upvote 0
Hi, I don't think it's a coin as the raised ring would not make any sense on a coin as far as I know and there is absolutely no detail on either side of it. Thanks for you post!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input guys on this item as a "bridle rosette." Is this a British cavalry rosette then? The other rosettes I have found in the US are bigger, much thicker and I believe made out of lead or a lead alloy. They also typically have lugs or attachment points, but I don't see any attachment points on this one. This item is also quite thin. I'm not sure what the base metal is, but it does not appear to contain lead. Can anyone post a similar rosette? Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Thank for posting these examples. There are more like rosettes I have found previously. My gut tells me that this item may not be a rosette. It would seem that they are typically made of lead and this one is not. It is very thin--I will post dimensions in mm later. This photo is as dug and cleaned with only soap and water. I will try some further cleaning in peroxide and post another photo. Regards, Erik
 
Upvote 0
Thank for posting these examples. There are more like rosettes I have found previously. My gut tells me that this item may not be a rosette. It would seem that they are typically made of lead and this one is not. It is very thin--I will post dimensions in mm later. This photo is as dug and cleaned with only soap and water. I will try some further cleaning in peroxide and post another photo. Regards, Erik

If that isn't a Lead-alloy then I will give up detecting.
 
Upvote 0
The dimensions of the disc are 30mm diameter and 1mm+ in thickness. Upon closer inspection with a jeweler's loupe it appears there may have been an iron stud in the center for mounting. I am in the process of continuing to clean it. How would one determine whether it is a lead alloy or not? Thanks, Erik
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom