What's new

This is getting Crazy!! Are folks really this stupid??

Seek Ye First

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2014
Messages
69
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding items on ShopGoodwill (especially coins). I once purchased a 1793 1/2 Cent for $970 but unfortunately had to sell it a few years ago to pay my rent and other bills. 😢

I also get a kick out of folks who aren't educated on coins and I'm constantly amazed when they bid astronomical amounts on obviously FAKE coins! There's one now that goes off sale on June 8th that is gonna make the high bidder very sad (and poorer). It's for what's described as a 1798 United States Liberty Draped Bust Silver Dollar that I instantly knew was a fake! It currently has a high bid of $2,501.00!! Here's a pic so you can decide if it's real:

1798 Bust Dollar - FAKE!!.webp


If you want follow along to see what it sells for, here's the link: 1798 United States Liberty Draped Bust Silver Dollar - [ShopGoodwill]

P.S.: I contacted the store selling it to inform them the item was fake but here was their reply: "Thank you for an interest in supporting our mission! Please know all listings are donated and in used condition unless noted. We are not certified or otherwise considered experts, and because of these factors our capability to assess is limited. Thank you, MS". Oh well, at least I tried!
 
I like finding items on ShopGoodwill (especially coins). I once purchased a 1793 1/2 Cent for $970 but unfortunately had to sell it a few years ago to pay my rent and other bills. 😢

I also get a kick out of folks who aren't educated on coins and I'm constantly amazed when they bid astronomical amounts on obviously FAKE coins! There's one now that goes off sale on June 8th that is gonna make the high bidder very sad (and poorer). It's for what's described as a 1798 United States Liberty Draped Bust Silver Dollar that I instantly knew was a fake! It currently has a high bid of $2,501.00!! Here's a pic so you can decide if it's real:

View attachment 2211503

If you want follow along to see what it sells for, here's the link: 1798 United States Liberty Draped Bust Silver Dollar - [ShopGoodwill]

P.S.: I contacted the store selling it to inform them the item was fake but here was their reply: "Thank you for an interest in supporting our mission! Please know all listings are donated and in used condition unless noted. We are not certified or otherwise considered experts, and because of these factors our capability to assess is limited. Thank you, MS". Oh well, at least I tried!
Well, yes, people will by anything as a status symbol.
I had a GF wanted me to buy 600-dollar sunglasses.

But even Christies auctions sell fakes.
Someone in the hearts believe it to be real and will spend huge amounts for them.
The craziness of the world
 
It's only going to get worse and worse. These Chinese fakes are absolutely everywhere, and I'm afraid they will just get better and won't be instantly recognizable as this one.
 
They pay for their ignorance. I have always said it's worthwhile to build a good reference library and use it. Read. Knowledge is power.
 
Life is an education. Some of the lessons are cheap, some of them are expensive. The expensive ones are usually the most memorable, and it looks like someone is gonna get one they won't forget.
 
Final Price the FAKE "coin" sold for ..... $3,801.00!! 😲 🤣 I'd love to see his face when he realizes his mistake!
 
I see fakes like this on numerous auction sites. Especially government seizure auctions!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom