This may be for the "poor folk" from the 80s.... (about plastic margarine bowls)

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be for the "poor folk" from the 80s.... (about plastic margarine bowls)

Does anybody remember those plastic conical brightly colored margarine dishes with plastic lids?

A lot of people reused them for dinner bowls.....
And that is what we had for bowls.

Does anyone know what I am talking bout?

I am looking for an example or a picture to show someone on another website and can't seem to find it.

I grew up in Michigan, so they may be regional.

There were two kinds. the very EARLY ones that were more conical and sloped outward (like a wok) and the later, thinner ones that were just cylindrical.
I'm looking for a picture of the early ones that were "Wok shaped" and kind of thick.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe look under good china,fancy cereal bowls.parrkayyy,"butter" (talking tub).

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Google plastic margarine cereal bowl. Then the garage sale post shows some pics.
Not the same ones from I.G.A. store...

BrianB

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Western Mass. Holyoke
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this what your looking for............

k314125.jpg margarine-bowls-2.jpg

OP
OP
Critical Recovery

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES!!!! The orange one on the right!!! BANNER!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Critical Recovery

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I could help, just did an image search for plastic margarine bowls, and found it.:icon_thumright:
I musst have been lazy or did something wrong cuz I have been looking for that style FOREVER!

i remember eating my "subsidy cereal" out of it on Saturday mornings.
(Dad left early and mom worked at the corner store part time, so we got subsidies)

subsidies were provided for low income and the cereal was "close" to things like "Lucky Charms" (kaboom) and "captain Crunch" (King Vitamin) It was pretty crappy and not really close to the "real thing" but we ate it.

Like "government cheese!"

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
subsidies were provided for low income and the cereal was "close" to things like "Lucky Charms" (kaboom) and "captain Crunch" (King Vitamin) It was pretty crappy and not really close to the "real thing" but we ate it.

Like "government cheese!"
What!!! You got Kaboom and King Vitamin, man you must have been living well. We go those 10 gallon plastic bags of Puffs. The only way they had any taste was when you put the powder instant milk on them then they tasted like crap.

OP
OP
Critical Recovery

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What!!! You got Kaboom and King Vitamin, man you must have been living well. We go those 10 gallon plastic bags of Puffs. The only way they had any taste was when you put the powder instant milk on them then they tasted like crap.

Ha! yeah, I remember the bags too!
And the milk that came in boxes. But MAN, I STILL to this day miss that government cheese.......

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
R.O.F.L. oh yaa, wholesome goodness! Really nothing could make em better. soaking made them worse.
Lucky i didn,t have them all the time.
Yes C.R. cheese was all right. It got bartered too it seems. Black and white cans at the ol mans in early 70s must have been from same source as cheese.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Critical Recovery

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the peanut butter? :-D

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to stir,never could get all the oil to mix. All ways seemed to be chunky,probably would have worked for a candle.

OP
OP
Critical Recovery

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to stir,never could get all the oil to mix. All ways seemed to be chunky,probably would have worked for a candle.
I was helping a friend clean out a relative's house (hoarder type) last weekend and I found a paper "jar" of that stuff from like 1984.
The oil had seeped through the white cardboard and formed a puddle under it and we had to hit it to unstick it from the cupboard.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Stick to your ribs!
How about green rubber boots that kept your feet five degrees colder than the ground? Any complaints met with a couple bread bags.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Critical Recovery

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick to your ribs!
How about green rubber boats that kept your feet five degrees colder than the ground? Any complaints met with a couple bread bags.

yeah, we got the foam "moon boots" with hard plastic soles... Bread bags were the 'My boots leak" fix!!!!

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I wish I could find out who made the government cheese. That stuff was awesome.

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cr, i have a black one just like the orange one pictured. i have used that bowl for 20 years for cereal, it is without a doubt my favorite bowl for cereal, it holds just the rite amount, doesn't spill and will not break.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the memories!! I was actually laughing out loud reading through these posts....I can relate to most of the posts.

nozzlehead

Greenie
Mar 20, 2013
Trumbull Co. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speakin of memories...anyone remember having to save the cardboard mik jug so you'd have something to mix the powdered milk in? How about when we liked Spam? If you remember those I bet you remember Alka-Seltzer in a glass tube then...they all went hand in hand!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread